Summer Courses At Other Unis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dron000

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i go to a good school. I would like to know if i may take an english course at my local university over the summer, so as to satisfy the requirement of 2 semesters of english? The reason being that english is not my strong point, and i'd like to get an A. I don't care about how it looks, but is it certain, that doing this will get you rejected? Because somebody told me, that it doesnt matter, if my university counts these as english credits(i'm a science major), then on the transcript that i send to the med schools, it will be just like a course that i took at my school?

Members don't see this ad.

HAHAHAHA! Sounds like you've been listening to my advisor :p

Taking a class in the summer isn't going to be looked down upon. If matters much more if you do well. An adcom member at Hopkins gave me the response they don't care if you take the class in the summer or the fall or the spring or winter. Just do well in them.

It will show up as a class you took in the summer.

-Liz

Taking a course at another university is fine - I myself took a summer course in Technical Writing at USF (because my parents are in Tampa) while I got my degree from UF. I don't know if I'd recommend taking core pre-med courses away from your main university, but elective stuff is just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! So are the 2 semesters of english considered electives or "core premed" courses? (i mean they're not required for my science major, but they are required for the med school admissions) And i just know that the school i go to has a good reputation, but the school i'd take these courses at, is almost a community college!

p.s. now i regret that i havent taken organic chemistry at my university, as its offered over the summer. It's the same course that i'll be taking over the whole next year, but the difference is that i'd be done with it over 1 month for 1 semester, and it would really lighten the load for me next year! And also if i'm taking just this 1 class for the whole month, its easier to do better, because i dont have any other classes to worry about.

I think English courses aren't really thought of as the core pre-med classes. Those are the bios, chems, and physics.