Summer FUN!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSmile

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. . .Does anyone have any suggestions for a 2/3 week externship in the summer? I'm a 1st yr dental student in FL and I want to explore other programs on the east coast. I'm mainly interested in Ortho or oral surgery...thanks for your help!!!! Also, do you think it's difficult for other schools to let a 1st yr go to their school to extern? is it a possibility? thanks :) :laugh: :laugh: :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think externships typically happen between 2-3 years. This probably has something to do with taking the Boards, but I'm not sure.

The best way about your questions is just to identify some schools you would like to visit and then give them a call.

As far as actual externships go, you may have a hard time applying for them. From what I know, those are very competitive and application items such as class rank, GPA, NBDE I scores, research, and prior experience are all taken into account.

Hopefully this helped a little.

patience helps too!

just enjoy your time right now. we are barely in right now. those days will come when you have to think about those kinda things.

for now, i suggest you enjoy the movies, the zoo, and other entertainment places.

Members don't see this ad :)
The majority of oms externships require that you be in your 3rd or 4th year of school but there are quite a few exceptions around. You can always convince them to let you in a little early as well (I believe Yah-E has had some success doing that). I will be going to Loma Linda for 2 weeks this summer and they didn't request board scores or rankings, just a cv and a letter from the department. It's probably not the most competitive externship out there but it's experience none the less. So, they are out there, you just have to hunt around a little.

If you're in FL, then there's an OMFS externship that you can apply to at Univ. FL Health Science Center at Jacksonville. That particular OMFS externship allows and accepts first year dental students.

In my experience applying to OMFS externships, some are very stringent on their application requirements, many are not. Some require numbers, again, some do not. You're absolutely right, externships are externships, regardless, they'll take up one line on your CV.

Your toughest hurdle is to have your parent dental school cover you as a D1 on their liability insurance which the majority of the OMFS externships requires from their applicants/participants.

I, too, wanted to do an externship last summer as a D1, but I took the boards instead. As matter of fact, I was going to do one with UF HSC at jacksonville. Now that I have the board behind me, this summer will be my first official big externship.

Side note, I spend 3 days with OMFS department at Univ. MN last week during my spring break (I did this last year also), I had a blast. In a way, these are my two "unofficial" mini-externships. I saw, did and learn a crap load. I extracted teeth, sutured, gave injections, exposed to my first HIV/AIDS patient (my hand in his bloody mouth) in 12-hour shifts at a Level One trauma medical center in Minneapolis (HCMC). There is a definite advantage to have more dental education background behind you to go into an externship! For me, it was amazing to see and apply everything I've learned from Oral Surgery and Anesthesia courses/books into a clinical settings. Example, I learned what #73 forceps and what a seldon are from the book and when I saw it on the surgical tray, I knew what it was!

I learned how to suture in different techniques with what type of sutures and where from the preclinical labs with pigs foot, but suturing lateral border of the tongue and gingival tissue is a whole another feeling! But at least I knew how to suture and do square knots from books & courses!

Bottom line is this. I do encourage you to apply to an externship as a D1, but you will encounter A LOT of "unknowns". You'll see a lot of cool stuff, but it's so much cooler when you know what you're seeing and/or how to use it!

OMFS rocks! :thumbup:

Oh, how could I forget! I also scrubed up and assisted a OR procedure retrieve a bullet from a guy's head. The bullet enter the head from just anterior to the left tragus and it was stuck in the right buccal fat pad just underneath the right zygoma arch. The chief resident who was the main surgeon made the incision intraorally in the right height of the vestibule in the maxilla and there he did his thing! :thumbup:

Yah-E.

I feel the desperation to start OMS externship in you is about to unleash... make sure you fill us in on your experience.

P.S. You probably mentioned this somewhere else... but what were your board scores?