Summer Internships/Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgascho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered before, but here's my question:

I'm currently attending Purdue as a first-year, and am looking ahead to my summer plans. I hope to stay relatively close to the area as I am married.

Does anyone have suggestions as to a summer job/internship with flexible locations or in the general Purdue area (willing to travel some distance)? I would like to focus on food animals and livestock, or possibly lab animal, but open to all possibilities.

Does anyone have experience with the Saul T. Wilson, Jr. Program, and what all does it entail?

Do you suggest contacting faculty directly, local clinics/practices, etc.?

Open to all suggestions, just looking for opinions, suggestions, and options. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know this topic has been covered before, but here's my question:

I'm currently attending Purdue as a first-year, and am looking ahead to my summer plans. I hope to stay relatively close to the area as I am married.

Does anyone have suggestions as to a summer job/internship with flexible locations or in the general Purdue area (willing to travel some distance)? I would like to focus on food animals and livestock, or possibly lab animal, but open to all possibilities.

Does anyone have experience with the Saul T. Wilson, Jr. Program, and what all does it entail?

Do you suggest contacting faculty directly, local clinics/practices, etc.?

Open to all suggestions, just looking for opinions, suggestions, and options. Thanks

It doesn't really seem as though you've done any of the leg-work on your own yet. Have you tried Googling "vet student summer [area of interest] Purdue" or "Saul T. Wilson Program"? A quick Google search shows me the Merial summer program - a good one if you're interested in lab animal. Speaking to faculty and local clinics would be excellent resource too - you can ask about summer work at the college or if they have any local private practice connections.

I appreciate your help. However, I have done extensive research, contacted multiple faculty, plenty of searches, etc. I have already explored any of the "major company" options such as Merial, Pfizer, and Elanco.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my question. I was curious if anyone had experience in other, more unusual or different situations. Basically, are there any other opportunities that are often overlooked? I am just looking for options, especially related to large animals.

As far as the Saul T. Wilson, Jr. Program, I have all information available, either as web or print. If you have checked, you will realize that there is no description of what duties, locations, or positions are an option for your required employment, post-graduation. Also, there is a general description of student employment duties, however these are very vague. I was hoping someone with personal experience could describe their experiences.

Thanks for your input

I appreciate your help. However, I have done extensive research, contacted multiple faculty, plenty of searches, etc. I have already explored any of the "major company" options such as Merial, Pfizer, and Elanco.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my question. I was curious if anyone had experience in other, more unusual or different situations. Basically, are there any other opportunities that are often overlooked? I am just looking for options, especially related to large animals.

Ah, I see :) The biggest limiting factor is your ability or willingness to travel at this stage; as a fellow married lady I can appreciate wanting to stay local to your SO as much as possible. The resident faculty would probably be one of your best resources for nearby opportunities; I assume you've already contacted local private practice vets - it seems like you're after something more unique than just shadowing.

As far as the Saul T. Wilson, Jr. Program, I have all information available, either as web or print. If you have checked, you will realize that there is no description of what duties, locations, or positions are an option for your required employment, post-graduation. Also, there is a general description of student employment duties, however these are very vague. I was hoping someone with personal experience could describe their experiences.

Do they have a point of contact listed that would be able to give you more in-depth answers or maybe put you in contact with someone involved more currently? Might be a good starting place. Good luck :luck: