Summer Job/Clinical Experience Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tessellations

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! I'm currently working as a CNA this summer at a nursing home, and while it's nice getting paid, my job leaves a lot to be desired. I don't see myself staying for more than this summer. While I'm getting lots of interaction with the residents, I'm not really getting much experience with the actual medical world. So, what are other clinical jobs that I can do for a summer? I've been thinking about working as a scribe, but does that count as clinical experience? I know that some hospitals are willing to hire CNAs as ER Technicians, so that might be an option as well, though I don't know how likely it is for me to be hired. To the scribes/former scribes out there, what have your experiences been like? How's the patient interaction? Has working as a scribe given you good fodder for interviews?

Also, I'm always open to new ideas of what I can do for a job. I will admit I would prefer not to spend more money becoming an EMT, though it's something I'm still considering.
 
Hi all! I'm currently working as a CNA this summer at a nursing home, and while it's nice getting paid, my job leaves a lot to be desired. I don't see myself staying for more than this summer. While I'm getting lots of interaction with the residents, I'm not really getting much experience with the actual medical world. So, what are other clinical jobs that I can do for a summer? I've been thinking about working as a scribe, but does that count as clinical experience? I know that some hospitals are willing to hire CNAs as ER Technicians, so that might be an option as well, though I don't know how likely it is for me to be hired. To the scribes/former scribes out there, what have your experiences been like? How's the patient interaction? Has working as a scribe given you good fodder for interviews?

Also, I'm always open to new ideas of what I can do for a job. I will admit I would prefer not to spend more money becoming an EMT, though it's something I'm still considering.

There are plenty of threads on people's scribe experiences on this forum. The search option is your friend! 🙂
 
CNA is a good job to have and will generate respect from some ADCOMs. Your best bet if you want to leave

1) look into scribe America
2) Ask around your nursing home about anybody who might know of anything. These kind of connections where you can get directly set up and a direct reference to are your best bet for hospital jobs such as ER Tech. If you volunteer in a hospital ask around as well particularly to those in the know such as head nurses
3) most major hospital systems have online application systems with job openings that will have opportunities that you are interested in. Look into that as well
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Apply as a tech at your local hospital. You can try for a unit that matches your interests or any spot that's open. I agree with the above post too, any connections you have with a local hospital will help.
 
Thanks for the advice guys! It looks like my best bet is to try to find a job as a tech at a hospital. I'm incredibly lucky in that I live near quite a few hospitals so hopefully somebody will hire me, regardless whether I specifically try to be an ER tech or choose to work on another floor. While being a scribe sounds like quite the experience, it doesn't seem well suited for the summer which is ultimately what I really want. It certainly sounds intense - props to those who do it while in school. That's not my cup of tea, I would probably be too overwhelmed.