Summer Jobs after M1 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhino305

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you know this is the only time off we will have in our careers during the summer months. I'm not really interested in doing research or working a job like starbucks. I'd really like to work as a sort of medical assistant or health educator at local practice. I'm not CMA certified but I do have a health ed and promotion degree. Do you guys think this is possible? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure its possible, but do you really want to work at all?

As you said, this is one of the last long breaks you will have. If you can (i.e. you dont need the money) turn off your brain, relax, travel, do something purely to enjoy yourself.

rhino305 said:
As you know this is the only time off we will have in our careers during the summer months. I'm not really interested in doing research or working a job like starbucks. I'd really like to work as a sort of medical assistant or health educator at local practice. I'm not CMA certified but I do have a health ed and promotion degree. Do you guys think this is possible? Any suggestions? Thanks.

You're going to be working in the health field for the rest of your life. Do you really want to work doing something medical-y this summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be doing some research, but for little or no money (too many people want to do research here, not enough money to go around). Anyway, I gotta pay the rent and eat, so I need a job. The research I'm doing can mostly be done at home. But since this is the "last" summer, any recommendations on jobs that have weekends off?

If you are the gunner type- then you should start prepping for step 1, while researching cancer biology, volunteering w/ the Red Cross in Somalia and going to every leadership conference in the western hemisphere.

Otherwise, just get laid.

find out if you can apply for a work-study program to do research at a department in your school. make a good 3-4k to do research (which is good for residency anyway)...can't beat that!