Summer jobs during PhD

Started by Tulsa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tulsa

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in my first year in a counseling/clinical psych PhD and am trying to figure out what to do over the summer. Ideally, I'll have an on-campus appointment to get more research experience and make a little money, but what have you all done during the summer that is mental health related during the break between semesters?
 
mostly did whatever I could to make myself valuable to faculty with $$ to spend in the summer and get on those grants/projects
adjunct teach undergrad courses at local colleges
work doing testing for some local neuropsychs in PP
work for some child abuse agencies
I've heard of others working for families with children with autism
Less relevant stuff - heard of people doing summer school camps for kids, etc
 
My summers weren't all that different from the rest of the year: clinical practicum, classes, my graduate assistantship (glorified work- study job that came with tuition reduction).

If you have more flexibility than that, think about your goals and what might contribute to them. Learn about upcoming tasks in your program (eg, from advisor, program handbook) and start preparing for them this summer (eg, comprehensive exams/portfolios, proposal).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad