Summer jobs/internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

c17lat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year student, and I've been trying to figure out what I want to do this summer. I've found several research internships at universities, and I know that Banfield has a summer program for students looking for clinical experience, but I'm looking for more options.

Do yall have any tips for where to look/suggestions for what to apply to for someone interested in small animal, mixed, and wildlife medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

talk to your profs and clinicians. I ended up doing a month out to sea tagging sea turtles, then 2 months doing zoo research for my thesis

Upperclassmen might have good ideas too.

I did externships last summer - just punched around online for an area I was interested in, found a promising hospital, and contacted them. This summer I am going of of reccomendations from 3rd year students as well.

The AVMA has an externship website (AAEP does also), but it is still pretty small - but worth a look.

Most hospitals are glad to have a student come and work, you don't need a formal program!

Members don't see this ad :)
pfizer has a cattle externship specifically for people without a lot of cattle experience. pretty sure they select students from all the U.S. schools...there should be a faculty member at your school with info on this. We just got the email today.

just a suggestion, at least try to find a summer job that is not related to your field of study, so you can learn new things in just a short period of time.