Summer jobs/internships

Started by c17lat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

c17lat

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a first year student, and I've been trying to figure out what I want to do this summer. I've found several research internships at universities, and I know that Banfield has a summer program for students looking for clinical experience, but I'm looking for more options.

Do yall have any tips for where to look/suggestions for what to apply to for someone interested in small animal, mixed, and wildlife medicine?
 
talk to your profs and clinicians. I ended up doing a month out to sea tagging sea turtles, then 2 months doing zoo research for my thesis
 
Upperclassmen might have good ideas too.

I did externships last summer - just punched around online for an area I was interested in, found a promising hospital, and contacted them. This summer I am going of of reccomendations from 3rd year students as well.

The AVMA has an externship website (AAEP does also), but it is still pretty small - but worth a look.

Most hospitals are glad to have a student come and work, you don't need a formal program!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
pfizer has a cattle externship specifically for people without a lot of cattle experience. pretty sure they select students from all the U.S. schools...there should be a faculty member at your school with info on this. We just got the email today.
 
just a suggestion, at least try to find a summer job that is not related to your field of study, so you can learn new things in just a short period of time.