Summer jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mayday

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else get a summer job to help cover the bills? If so, what kind of job do you get for the summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Mayday. Haven't seen you around for awhile.

I'm working in the lab for the summer. Just like the rest of the year, except that now a paycheck comes with it. :)

Workin' in a lab up at my first choice school, pouring SDS-PAGE gels. It's a nice part-time job, plus it's not completely mindless (like my old jobs in customer service...yuck).

Working at Apple. It's awesome!

is there any job you can do that is medically related and can be used in an app since if I'm gonna work, might as well be something I'm passionate about...any ideas?

Hi, Mayday. Haven't seen you around for awhile.

Eh, I got kinda burnt out on SDN. I seem to go in cycles - I'll post a ton for a month or so, then I'll go away for a couple of months :) That's probably the only reason why my post count isn't astronomically high LOL

I have to say, I'm really jealous of those of you who have managed to get a summer job in a lab. I really wish that I could, but I already have a part time job at my school, and can't work any more hours at my school than I already am, and the town I live in isn't exactly known for it's commercial labs.

Working full time in financial aid at my university. They're paying decent - and paying for grad school courses - so it's all worth it. I miss the clinical setting, but this is just a summer thing...

I work as a 911 operator in the summer, its fun, pays well and gives me something to put on my app.

I work as a 911 operator in the summer, its fun, pays well and gives me something to put on my app.

How is that? My Mom wanted me to apply to be one in our area because they are apparently extremely short-staffed and desperate for people, and I love staying up all hours of the night.

Only thing is I have a great job now where I get research and clinical experience, and it pays pretty well. So I never followed through with the 911 thing.

I work as a dental assistant, science and math tutor, waitress, and I update financial info for a website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been working as an EMT for the past 3 summers. Its an ass kicker, but it pays the bills. Im gonna have to warn you that its difficult to get a paying job as a 911 EMT during the summer. Ive been in the 911 system since I was 14 so I got lucky.

Without connections, youre going to find a lot of non-emergency transport ambulance jobs. They pay, but its mind-numbing and it really is more of a baby sitting job than anything else. You dont get an opportunity to use your skills and learn new things. Although, as a transport EMT for 2 summers, I did learn how to read charts pretty damn well.

Math, science, and standardized exams tutor. 30$-50$/hr, no bosses, and the flexibility to choose my hours.

How is that? My Mom wanted me to apply to be one in our area because they are apparently extremely short-staffed and desperate for people, and I love staying up all hours of the night.

Only thing is I have a great job now where I get research and clinical experience, and it pays pretty well. So I never followed through with the 911 thing.

I have done it for the past couple yrs and go down to part time during the school yr, I am an EMT with 911 experience and transfered to 911 dispatch because A) LOTS more money and B) Its just a lot of fun.

I agree with the poster that said its extremely hard to get hired regardless of short staffness.... Remember people's lives depend on you... they don't hired just anyone.

The company I work for put me through the Emergency Medical Dispatching Certification class.

And for anyone who says it gives you no experience..... its the best job ever for learning to think quick and multitask not to mention keep your cool under pressure.

I just up my normal nanny schedule from 15 hours a week to 35 hours a week during the summer- I could do more but I am also studying for my July MCAT

I have been with my 2 families for 3 and almost 4 years so I am basically a family member- I can even vacation with them if I want! I have learned amazing child development stuff (being with 3 babies 2-3x weekly from newborn to 3 years will do that for you!)

I volunteer at a special needs camp a week in the summer and I studied abroad in May but for most of the summer I nanny- pays well and I am super happy with the job!

i got a nanny job!

it's so easy and the money is ridiculously good. :thumbup: it's the first summer i will actually be making really good $!!!

Kaplan? Maybe? We'll see.

I made it to the interview stage, so that's probably a good sign! :)

Be a pharmacy tech! You'll get some ridiculous stories to tell, lots of medical knowledge and patient interaction, and decent pay (or great pay if you take the holy-crap-this-is-easy national certification test). Mostly do it for the stories. How many of your friends have seen a ~6'5" muscular transsexual in a wife-beater and neon green miniskirt go apesh*t when his insurance wouldn't cover his meds or been accosted for a tube of vaginal cream? You can be the first!

Kaplan? Maybe? We'll see.

I made it to the interview stage, so that's probably a good sign! :)

To teach for Kaplan, they require at least an 11 in each section. I was pissed to find that out after driving like an hour to go interview...

To teach for Kaplan, they require at least an 11 in each section. I was pissed to find that out after driving like an hour to go interview...

Actually this is for the GRE. Yeah, Kaplan requires 90th percentile for any test you teach, they said. They required me to give them my scores at the audition, so I figure they might have said something by now if my GRE scores were a problem. (I got just below 90th percentile in math). Overall was 96th percentile with perfect scores on verbal and writing.

I get my MCAT scores back in ~21 days (not that I'm counting or anything). I guess I'll find out if I can include it in my teaching repertoire at that point.

Thanks for the headsup.

I work in tech transfer/mfg for a small biotech company hours are great (alternating shifts of 36 and 48 hours per week) pays good, people are nice

I have a great job. Being from the backwoods I love the outdoors so I referee at a paintball complex. Best job I've ever had. That's on the weekends. During the week I'm at schooling playing a pivotal role in Freshman Orientation. (another good job)

I heard that, for the MCAT, you only have to get at least an 11 in the section you wanted to teach. I was really disappointed I didn't get an 11 in VR because I really wanted a chance to teach that at Kaplan. Oh well...

I heard that, for the MCAT, you only have to get at least an 11 in the section you wanted to teach. I was really disappointed I didn't get an 11 in VR because I really wanted a chance to teach that at Kaplan. Oh well...

Anyone got a source for this? If I pull a very possible 11+ on VR, I'd be interested.

At Kaplan, each classroom course teacher teaches every section...maybe you are thinking of Princeton Review? Or maybe every Kaplan teacher has a 33+

At Kaplan, each classroom course teacher teaches every section...maybe you are thinking of Princeton Review? Or maybe every Kaplan teacher has a 33+

I'm just thinking back to my Kaplan course last summer, and I could have sworn that my verbal instructor said that you only had to surpass an 11 in the section you wanted to teach. Things may have changed, or maybe I misunderstood.

I'm just thinking back to my Kaplan course last summer, and I could have sworn that my verbal instructor said that you only had to surpass an 11 in the section you wanted to teach. Things may have changed, or maybe I misunderstood.

Kaplan: One teacher teachers EVERY SINGLE SECTION. I don't know what the score requirement is.

Princeton Review: You are only required to teach ONE section. I think the cutoff is 10 or 11 on the section you want to teach.

So, Kaplan teachers are more well rounded, and Princeton Review teachers are more specialized.

I'm teaching Princeton Review MCAT biology this summer. I could have also done o-chem, g-chem or physics, but my verbal score was awful and I'm definitely not qualified to teach it!

I'm working full time as a medical assistant for a podiatrist this summer. It's pretty fun- I get to take and develop x-rays, do a couple different therapies with the patients, set up for and assist minor outpatient surgeries, sterilize equipment, fetch for the doctor whatever he needs, etc.

Kaplan: One teacher teachers EVERY SINGLE SECTION. I don't know what the score requirement is.

Princeton Review: You are only required to teach ONE section. I think the cutoff is 10 or 11 on the section you want to teach.

So, Kaplan teachers are more well rounded, and Princeton Review teachers are more specialized.

I'm teaching Princeton Review MCAT biology this summer. I could have also done o-chem, g-chem or physics, but my verbal score was awful and I'm definitely not qualified to teach it!

I could have sworn that someone I used to know told me that she had different people covering different things in her Kaplan course.

I could have sworn that someone I used to know told me that she had different people covering different things in her Kaplan course.

Yup, you can teach just one section of the MCAT for Kaplan.