Summer mcat 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tidus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EVERYONE WRITING MCAT IN SUMMER 2009
(may, june, july, august '09)

I'm in my 4th year (undergrad;bio major) and writing the MCAT this summer(not sure exactly when). I wanted to create this post to help me/other people with their MCAT study strategies. Please post how you are doing/any concerns/questions. Also if you have taken the MCAT before post what you used/what you did before.

PLEASE POST

-when you are writing the MCAT (when is a good time); how long should you give yourself to study?
-is it bad if you write it late in the summer, because of 'late application'?
-what is the best materials to use?
(Kaplan vs Examcrackers vs Princeton vs Berkley.....)-or combination?
-Are you taking any prep courses? If so, which ones?
(I'm not sure if I should take a prep course, is it worth it?If so which one

I don't plan on working during the summer before i write the MCAT/maybe just part-time, so I'll have as much time as possible.

I'm writing the free MCAT test by Kaplan at school on FEB.28. Ill let you know what i thought of it. Is the one from the Feb.28 (Kaplans) a good idea for what the MCAT is like?

If you already have taken the MCAT, what worked/didn't work?

Any opinions/help would be greatly appreciated
Also are there any Medical schools that don't participate in AMCAS? Also what kind of volunteer work is good to have?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will be taking the MCAT on June 18, 2009. I have enrolled in a Princeton Review class that begins in April and ends the week before the exam. Up until the class begins, I will complete the ExamKrackers Home Study course. I have not sat for the MCAT before and I am a non-traditional applicant. Since it has been about 8 years since I have taken physics and chemistry I am really counting on the course to get me in to shape. I am a little bit concerned about a late application and the fact that if I don't do well there won't be much of a turnaround time for me to take the exam again. Regardless of my hesitation, I am going to go for it and hope for the best. I am working full time but am willing to put in as much time as I can for studying outside of work.

Also if you have taken the MCAT before post what you used/what you did before.
30+ MCAT thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503250

-when you are writing the MCAT (when is a good time); how long should you give yourself to study?
See above linked thread. The general consensus is that you should give yourself as much time as possible.

I'm writing the free MCAT test by Kaplan at school on FEB.28. Ill let you know what i thought of it. Is the one from the Feb.28 (Kaplans) a good idea for what the MCAT is like?
I've written the free CBT that Kaplan offers and it is not representative of the actual MCAT. From what I recall, it's shorter than a true FL, the computer format varies from the AAMCs, and of course, there is no writing sample. It may also be much more difficult like a diag (I think I got < 24) simply because Kaplan is there to sell their services to you, not to give you a free representative full length test. However, you should still go and take it seriously - they should give you internet access to your test and a breakdown of how you did on each section and may highlight some of your potential weaknesses.

I'm in my 4th year (undergrad;bio major) and writing the MCAT this summer(not sure exactly when). I wanted to create this post to help me/other people with their MCAT study strategies. Please post how you are doing/any concerns/questions. Also if you have taken the MCAT before post what you used/what you did before.

PLEASE POST

I don't plan on working during the summer before i write the MCAT/maybe just part-time, so I'll have as much time as possible.

Also are there any Medical schools that don't participate in AMCAS? Also what kind of volunteer work is good to have?

Thanks

Taking mine June 18. I've given myself 6-8ish months of study. I only want to take it once and do as well as I possibly can. I did some EK self study for about 2 months, started a Kaplan course in January which goes through April. I'll then study myself & take practice exams up until the exam.

It depends on how late it is in the summer. Taking it June 18 or July 2, for example, doesn't make that much of a difference. There's not much difference in the score release date. But I wouldn't go much later since you want to be able to get and complete secondaries.

There's a long thread on the adv/dis of the test prep companies. So far my class has been totally worth it. It really forces you to keep up with the material and gives you all the practice you could dream of. And then some. But we'll see if it helped......

Members don't see this ad :)
Taking mine June 18. I've given myself 6-8ish months of study. I only want to take it once and do as well as I possibly can. I did some EK self study for about 2 months, started a Kaplan course in January which goes through April. I'll then study myself & take practice exams up until the exam.

It depends on how late it is in the summer. Taking it June 18 or July 2, for example, doesn't make that much of a difference. There's not much difference in the score release date. But I wouldn't go much later since you want to be able to get and complete secondaries.

There's a long thread on the adv/dis of the test prep companies. So far my class has been totally worth it. It really forces you to keep up with the material and gives you all the practice you could dream of. And then some. But we'll see if it helped......

July 17th is a bad idea then?

------------------UPDATE---------------------------

I got my Kaplan Feb 28 free practice test back.

WOW I GOT A 16. WTF
I mean i did 0 studying. Absolutely no studying, but still. Ive taken all the physics, chemistry, bio courses ( minus genetics in it rite now)

Verbal: 32/45 Questions right ---> 6
Biological Sciences: 20/45 ----> 6
Physical Sciences: 14/45 ----> 4
Total : 16

No writing score.

How can a 32/45 = 20/45 =6?

Does anyone know what percentage of questions you should get right to score a 11 or 12 on a section?

I am a good student too. 3.7 GPA! Biology major....

I'm realllllyyyyyy scared for the real test.
I mean I know that I have to study and the Kaplan isn't a good representation (especially because they want your money to sign up for the course class.) but still...damn...

Ok so I might take a diff practice test probably an AAMC and see what the score is, but mayne ill study a little first and then use that as my diagnositc test.

As for July 17th. GREAT DATE thats when i might take it.

I mean I would rather be prepared and have a higher MCAT score, then send out my application early with an ok MCAT score.

I want to do really good on the MCAT

Last edited:
I'm using ExamKrackers for Bio and Chemistry. For Physics, I'm going to use Nova because it has received great reviews from SDN. I'm taking the MCAT 08/06.

Yeah I'm not sure how to go about all this. I signed up for August 25th. It's my first time taking it and I keep going back and forth on whether or not I should take the course or only study on my own with books.

PLEASE POST

Thanks

Are you from U of T?

I took that test as well... I got the same score on verbal as in the real thing... haha, but I didn't study much and are retaking. Just study on your own and review the material. I don't recommend taking a course, maybe just form a study group if you need support. I'm writing Jun 18 (first one in the summer... woot)

It's not marked by % correct, but by percentiles (i.e. % of people that score under you). So, the score can vary based on luck - on a hard test, you can get 2-3 Qs wrong and get 14, whereas on an easy one, only 1 Q wrong, and more would be a lower score.

Are you from U of T?

I don't go to University of Toronto, but i have family there.
nice page, u seem really grounded and down to earth

sorry i got rid of my myspace page ( got facebook-deleted that- spent to much time that could be used to study for MCAT..haha)

How did you end up doing on the real thing?
what books did you use? if your're taking it again, what new books/prep classes are u doing?

thanks

I don't go to University of Toronto, but i have family there.
nice page, u seem really grounded and down to earth

sorry i got rid of my myspace page ( got facebook-deleted that- spent to much time that could be used to study for MCAT..haha)

How did you end up doing on the real thing?
what books did you use? if your're taking it again, what new books/prep classes are u doing?

thanks

Okay, sorry lol. I just know a Tidus, so I thought it might be the same one. I just made a myspace to maybe make pre-med buddies or something lol, maybe form a study group, but most people don't use MySpace anymore, I don't think.

I got 33Q, I had Princeton books, but I really didn't study enough (think 3 days) - had a bunch of research, etc. that needed immediate attention. So, I'm writing it again. I'm going to buy some practice tests - is e-mcat.com the only place? Also, I'll read my stack of Economists and books, and do lots of verbal practice. I'll probably buy those EK books that have all Q's + passages. Having said that, U of T prepares us really well (while eating our soul in the process). I found that in a lot of the science passages, such as the "critical thinking" ones, I could recognize the topic (e.g. some mystery hormone that was just discovered) and remember learning about it in a course. Knowing the background of what was going on with the story made the Q's a breeze. I finished bio in 20min, including review of my answers.

Okay, sorry lol. I just know a Tidus, so I thought it might be the same one. I just made a myspace to maybe make pre-med buddies or something lol, maybe form a study group, but most people don't use MySpace anymore, I don't think.

I got 33Q, I had Princeton books, but I really didn't study enough (think 3 days) - had a bunch of research, etc. that needed immediate attention. So, I'm writing it again. I'm going to buy some practice tests - is e-mcat.com the only place? Also, I'll read my stack of Economists and books, and do lots of verbal practice. I'll probably buy those EK books that have all Q's + passages. Having said that, U of T prepares us really well (while eating our soul in the process). I found that in a lot of the science passages, such as the "critical thinking" ones, I could recognize the topic (e.g. some mystery hormone that was just discovered) and remember learning about it in a course. Knowing the background of what was going on with the story made the Q's a breeze. I finished bio in 20min, including review of my answers.

33 nice....33 is solid!
i mean i'd be extremely happy with a 33 but aiming for a 35+.

e-mcat.com has AAMC practice MCAT tests...im pretty sure im going to get those

it seems like ur aiming very high, are you applying to top medical schools?

so you recommend The Princeton Review?

PREP MATERIALS
Ive narrowed it down i think....
ive read soo many threads and it looks like Examkrakers, Berkley and Princeton Top....
mann i just don't know but i want to order them soon!

Hey Marina (and everyone) ! my e-mail is [email protected].

it makes me feel better being stuck inside studying when I know all you people are stuck too...:D

Last edited: