Summer Medical and Dental Education Program - a good summer extracurricular?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Is this program worth the same weight as most other summer (more research oriented) programs?

I'm debating whether or not to apply to this. I think if I decided to do MD/PhD then this program would be a big waste of time that I could have spent doing a purely research summer program...

I'm a freshman by the way.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
i did it last summer and thought it was an amazing experience that i can talk about for hours. it varies by site, but where i did it we were talk a lot about he disparities in healthcare which i feel is very important. SMDEP is run through the aamc, so its pretty obvious med schools know about it. im ambassador for it now, so feel free to pm me if you have questions

About the Ads

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm sure it'd be a great experience, but how would it compare against someone who spent the summer doing biomedical research?

scarletgirl777

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm sure it'd be a great experience, but how would it compare against someone who spent the summer doing biomedical research?

I didn't do that program because of concerns like that. Obviously, SMDEP shows a serious and early interest in medicine, but meaningful research can be so huge. My understanding of this program is that no project comes out of it, but that there are opportunities for shadowing and mini-classes you can take in preparation for your premedical coursework...if you can turn your summer into a meaningful project, I would strongly think about doing research.

dynezxice

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I did SMDEP a few years ago and it was a great experience. Not only will you get to mingle and network with the Deans of the med school and other ppl who will become doctors like you, you'll also get a chance to learn more and get a feel for med school.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Any other opinions? Anyone who got into med school who thinks SMDEP helped them?

Dr.Clippers

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Is this only for minorities or disadvantaged students? I was confused when I read about them.

19nbj58

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Its more meaningful to do a summer research program. Plus they give you a stipend.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
SMDEP gives a variable stipend too haha.

I reallly need the stipend. Literally broke.

Serendipity989

Feb 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Not every SMDEP is project free. I did group public health project + paper + presentation at Case in summer of 2008. So look at each site independently.

:banana:CWRU Class of 2016:banana:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.