Summer Medical and Dental Education Program - a good summer extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this program worth the same weight as most other summer (more research oriented) programs?

I'm debating whether or not to apply to this. I think if I decided to do MD/PhD then this program would be a big waste of time that I could have spent doing a purely research summer program...

I'm a freshman by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

i did it last summer and thought it was an amazing experience that i can talk about for hours. it varies by site, but where i did it we were talk a lot about he disparities in healthcare which i feel is very important. SMDEP is run through the aamc, so its pretty obvious med schools know about it. im ambassador for it now, so feel free to pm me if you have questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it'd be a great experience, but how would it compare against someone who spent the summer doing biomedical research?

I'm sure it'd be a great experience, but how would it compare against someone who spent the summer doing biomedical research?

I didn't do that program because of concerns like that. Obviously, SMDEP shows a serious and early interest in medicine, but meaningful research can be so huge. My understanding of this program is that no project comes out of it, but that there are opportunities for shadowing and mini-classes you can take in preparation for your premedical coursework...if you can turn your summer into a meaningful project, I would strongly think about doing research.

I did SMDEP a few years ago and it was a great experience. Not only will you get to mingle and network with the Deans of the med school and other ppl who will become doctors like you, you'll also get a chance to learn more and get a feel for med school.

Any other opinions? Anyone who got into med school who thinks SMDEP helped them?

Is this only for minorities or disadvantaged students? I was confused when I read about them.

Its more meaningful to do a summer research program. Plus they give you a stipend.

SMDEP gives a variable stipend too haha.

I reallly need the stipend. Literally broke.

Not every SMDEP is project free. I did group public health project + paper + presentation at Case in summer of 2008. So look at each site independently.

:banana:CWRU Class of 2016:banana: