Summer O-Chem & MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LeavingTheLaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been reading these boards for a while, but just now coming out of the shadows. :)

There seems to be a firm opinion that any application completed after mid-summer is doomed, but it seems hard to believe that everyone taking the MCAT after July 15th has shot themselves in the foot for that application season (although I definitely understand the benefits of an early application when dealing with rolling admissions).

I would love to hear from anyone who has 1) taken the organic chemistry sequence over the summer and/or 2) also taken the MCAT during that same summer.

Trust me, if the economy were any better, I'd be happy to take another year to do the o-chem and take a May or June MCAT. But it will be very difficult financially to do so. I've had several doctors tell me to go ahead and take both the o-chem and MCAT this summer to apply this fall (and most sat on the admissions boards for their med schools, though not within the last 3 years), but sometimes it seems they're a bit too far removed from the application process to know if it's really a good idea. So that said, I do want to know if it is really going to seriously damage my chances if I wind up taking a mid-August MCAT.

Thanks!

~LTL

Some (possibly) helpful info:
JD - cum laude from top law school
BS (non-science) - one rough year at the beginning of college, then 3.83 average afterwards (overall is closer to 3.5)
Post-Bac - so far 4.0 with chem, physics and bio
Volunteer - at local hospital
Generally very good standardized test taker

Members don't see this ad.

Do your research, find out how long it takes to get verified, the delay in score reporting, have your personal statement and letters of recommendation ready, etc. Manage the process within the limits of your situation.

I think there are benefits to taking the MCAT when prerequisite courses are completed very recently. You'll probably find O-chem your strongest subject. Certainly it is a drawback to apply late in the summer with rolling admissions...but it isn't exactly December or January, either. Many are accepted with a late application - and your app won't be terribly late.

Who cares if the timing of your application "seriously damages your chances" of acceptance? There's nothing you can do about it. And it would be a mistake to wait until next year.

I did it and it was fine. Took MCAT July 2, a few weeks into organic II. I had my application all submitted and verified and ready to go when the scores got in. If you needed super intensive test prep or were going to be seriously struggling to pass organic then I would advise differently, but it sounds like we were in about the same shape with regard to academics and test-taking. Study for the MCAT along with your coursework - if you've taken all the prereqs over the past year then that is a great advantage, I think.

There is a culture of hysteria here sometimes such that you would think that Doogie Howser MD is the only person ever to gain admission to medical school. Is it ideal to submit as early as possible, I'm sure it is. But if you can't do anything about it, then why sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! That's pretty much in line with what I've been thinking. I've already started the process of LORs with my science professors (who are incredibly supportive), know that the 2011 AMCAS application comes available around May 4, already have some of my study materials (EK series, considering adding BR to the mix), etc. So definitely working on getting as much together as I possibly can. What a process!

Who cares if the timing of your application "seriously damages your chances" of acceptance? There's nothing you can do about it. And it would be a mistake to wait until next year.
I disagree. A late application that isn't putting your best foot forward may result in the OP being forced to wait til next year anyway.

What's the rush? :confused:

I disagree. A late application that isn't putting your best foot forward may result in the OP being forced to wait til next year anyway.

What's the rush? :confused:
Personally, I don't see a downside to applying this year for the OP. Grades are decent, MCAT should be solid. It's not as though the OP needs a year or two of grade remediation to be competitive. If he/she applies broadly and has an otherwise strong application, LOR's and interview skills I think an acceptance would be likely.

I certainly understand your point about putting your best foot forward, but in this case I don't think the loss of a year as a practicing physician is worth the wait.

I'd rather be forced to reapply than voluntarily reject myself by not submitting this year...if I were the OP.

In your situation, why not go for it? The worst that could happen is you don't get accepted and apply again. But definitely do heavy research on which schools to apply to where you would have the best chance as a late applicant. And apply to at least 30 well-chosen schools. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked out for you, there are lots of people who apply late and still get in.

Is a July MCAT really that late? I would expect that the AMCAS file would be complete and verified by then, including having the personal statement completed. So the only thing I'd be waiting on is the score, which would be ready in August.

Btw, I'm also keeping in mind that if the O-chem plus test review turns out to be too much or I really just don't feel ready to take the MCAT, I would rather release my seat than force myself to do it solely in the interest of time. :rolleyes:

Is a July MCAT really that late? I would expect that the AMCAS file would be complete and verified by then, including having the personal statement completed. So the only thing I'd be waiting on is the score, which would be ready in August.

Btw, I'm also keeping in mind that if the O-chem plus test review turns out to be too much or I really just don't feel ready to take the MCAT, I would rather release my seat than force myself to do it solely in the interest of time. :rolleyes:

Hey man,

I had a few friends that did MCAT and Ochem this last summer. It turned out very bleak for them. I took summer Organic Chemistry and got a B both semesters while working full time (As a cop). This was my first B in any science lecture.

I would be the last person to tell somebody to take it easy, I'm as hard charging as they come. But bombing the MCAT just isn't worth it. I studied for 5 months like an animal, took 20+ practice tests, and I'm still not confident about how I did on the MCAT.

Know thy self, and be true to what you know. You sound like you aren't too hard headed and you could pull out if you think that it is too much.

Best,
OT

In your situation, why not go for it? The worst that could happen is you don't get accepted and apply again.

I have to respectfully disagree on this point. If you take the MCAT and don't do as well as you could but apply anyway you might not get in to a school that you are willing to attend and you've (1) wasted lots of money and (2) put a lower than necessary MCAT permanently in your file. So this is really the worst that could happen.

That said, it isn't all that terrible. Lawyers happen to be quick learners (that is one of our core skills) and you'll probably do fine. xoxohth :smuggrin:

Also, I read your background information. Top law school, decent u-GPA, 4.0 post-bacc? I'm thinking we're the same person. I'd be interested in your story. PM if you'd like to discuss.