Summer online classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rl352

Reaction score
Hi, I just finished my junior year of undergrad at a top 5 school with a 3.80 cGPA (sGPA also the same). My research fellowship has been cancelled due to the ongoing pandemic, and I was wondering if it was worth taking a summer class in psychology. I have completed all my pre-reqs and most of the main courses for my biology degree. The price for the class is pretty hefty. Is it worth enrolling in the class to raise my GPA at this point?

Would the time/money be better spent on studying for the MCAT or on a hobby of mine? I am planning on taking a gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 3.8 GPA, your grades are not a limiting factor. Unless money is absolutely no object (which is rare), I would not foot the bill for a summer class. I would look for volunteering activities in areas of interest to you.

Will you be unable to take it as a senior? When are you going to take the MCAT? Having psych will help, but the P/S section of the MCAT is IMO the easiest to prepare for without having taken the relevant classes. If you're not planning on taking the MCAT in the fall, this is not the right time to begin studying.

To the above poster's point, if your ECs need some work, this would be a good time to get some clinical experience or volunteering in.