Summer online classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do admissions committees view classes taken online? I am thinking about taking one of my advanced Bio classes online this summer since it isn't offered in a normal classroom setting. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would only do this if there are in-person proctored exams -- these 'online' courses typically are treated the same as a regular course. If there are no proctored exams, I don't think the classes are accepted at most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is an accredited University and it's not a pre-req. I am a bio major and have plenty of other bio classes. Also, how will an adcom know if the class used classroom exams?

It is an accredited University and it's not a pre-req. I am a bio major and have plenty of other bio classes. Also, how will an adcom know if the class used classroom exams?
you could take it if you wanted to. i don't know if they'd ever be able to tell the difference.

you could take it if you wanted to. i don't know if they'd ever be able to tell the difference.
Some med schools specifically prohibit online courses for required prereqs. But for a nonrequired elective like the OP is talking about, it doesn't matter.

I took an online Nutrition 3000 level class last summer. Horrible experience. I thought there'd be recorded lecture, but instead it was "Read Chapters 5-9" on BlackBoard, so basically all independent study that anyone could have done on their own. And tuition was more expensive than a regular course.

In essence, the professor and school got paid MORE to do LESS work. It pisses me off. Time to write that editorial.