Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Summer online classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AnesthesiaMD, Feb 20, 2007.

1. AnesthesiaMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How do admissions committees view classes taken online? I am thinking about taking one of my advanced Bio classes online this summer since it isn't offered in a normal classroom setting. What do you think?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ehhh I don't know if I'd ever take a major pre-req online. is it from an accredited university?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would only do this if there are in-person proctored exams -- these 'online' courses typically are treated the same as a regular course. If there are no proctored exams, I don't think the classes are accepted at most schools.

4. OP
    OP
    AnesthesiaMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It is an accredited University and it's not a pre-req. I am a bio major and have plenty of other bio classes. Also, how will an adcom know if the class used classroom exams?

5. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you could take it if you wanted to. i don't know if they'd ever be able to tell the difference.

6. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some med schools specifically prohibit online courses for required prereqs. But for a nonrequired elective like the OP is talking about, it doesn't matter.

7. Stroganoff

Stroganoff Never give up.
    Rocket Scientist 15+ Year Member

I took an online Nutrition 3000 level class last summer. Horrible experience. I thought there'd be recorded lecture, but instead it was "Read Chapters 5-9" on BlackBoard, so basically all independent study that anyone could have done on their own. And tuition was more expensive than a regular course.

In essence, the professor and school got paid MORE to do LESS work. It pisses me off. Time to write that editorial.