• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
How do admissions committees view classes taken online? I am thinking about taking one of my advanced Bio classes online this summer since it isn't offered in a normal classroom setting. What do you think?

Tired Pigeon

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would only do this if there are in-person proctored exams -- these 'online' courses typically are treated the same as a regular course. If there are no proctored exams, I don't think the classes are accepted at most schools.

About the Ads

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It is an accredited University and it's not a pre-req. I am a bio major and have plenty of other bio classes. Also, how will an adcom know if the class used classroom exams?

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
you could take it if you wanted to. i don't know if they'd ever be able to tell the difference.
Some med schools specifically prohibit online courses for required prereqs. But for a nonrequired elective like the OP is talking about, it doesn't matter.

Stroganoff

15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
I took an online Nutrition 3000 level class last summer. Horrible experience. I thought there'd be recorded lecture, but instead it was "Read Chapters 5-9" on BlackBoard, so basically all independent study that anyone could have done on their own. And tuition was more expensive than a regular course.

In essence, the professor and school got paid MORE to do LESS work. It pisses me off. Time to write that editorial.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.