Summer Planning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted804295

Hey all,

I was looking for advice on what to do with my summer. Most medical internship applications close by around January so I'm wondering if I should do that this summer, do more research and get some money out of it (currently at 150 hours), or take some classes.

I'm already planning on shadowing but I get stressed when I have nothing to do so I want to keep all my time occupied.

Members don't see this ad.

what year of college are you?

Why not take some easy a** courses for the GPA boost? Sure you could do shadowing or even some more volunteering.

what year of college are you?

Why not take some easy a** courses for the GPA boost? Sure you could do shadowing or even some more volunteering.
I'm a second year. Yeah, I should probably take some easy courses over the summer. Thanks for the advice ^.^

Members don't see this ad :)
Classes, shadowing, and volunteering. All 3 together. That should keep you occupied and help with your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Classes, shadowing, and volunteering. All 3 together. That should keep you occupied and help with your application.
Thanks for the advice! Shouldn't be much of a change from my last summer except for shadowing and no longer doing research!

What do you think about these medical internships they offer during the summers? Are they worth it or just a waste of time?

What do you think about these medical internships they offer during the summers? Are they worth it or just a waste of time?

Which medical internships are you talking about specifically? The ones where you go abroad and pay lots of money to shadow all day long?

Which medical internships are you talking about specifically? The ones where you go abroad and pay lots of money to shadow all day long?
I just looked up some that my University offers and they are paid internships where you just do hospital rotations. The page is pretty vague but since it's paid work I assume it's grunt work I already do while volunteering- except it's paid.

Edit:
Yeah, I'm just taking a look at all these summer pre med opportunities and it's mostly things for students who want to get their foot into the door with clinical experiences. Most of it overlaps with stuff I have done or that I'm currently doing.

I just looked up some that my University offers and they are paid internships where you just do hospital rotations. The page is pretty vague but since it's paid work I assume it's grunt work I already do while volunteering- except it's paid.

Edit:
Yeah, I'm just taking a look at all these summer pre med opportunities and it's mostly things for students who want to get their foot into the door with clinical experiences. Most of it overlaps with stuff I have done or that I'm currently doing.
I did one of the U of Colorado Wilderness Medicine seminars - they're short and not inexpensive, but it was super fun. I went to the one on Colorado with about a week of classroom/hospital skills training (CPR, ultrasound, patient simulations) and shadowing (ER and firefighter/paramedic), then a week of camping and outdoor emergency skills (splints, building litters, general camping/trekking skills). They have other trips this summer, I think one to Costa Rica and another to the Channel Islands.