Summer plans - advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwindsor1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OKay, so I'm about to finish my sophomore year and I'm trying to make some plans for the summer. I don't really have any research or (recent) volunteering experience, so I have a couple possibilities:

1: Work full time (maybe paid position) in an inorganic lab for 4 weeks (continue work during school year). I have one student who I'm going to tutor (also paid) for the whole summer (2 months). So, after the lab, I could start volunteering (clinical & non clinical) for the remainder of the summer (about a month), and continue with it over the next year.

2: Work part time (probably not paid) in the inorganic lab for the summer (continue work in school year). Tutor student for whole summer. I would then volunteer for the entire summer. This option would leave more time for the shadowing and volunteering.

I feel like option one would be better, but I'm worried I won't be able to juggle everything. I have a NICU shadowing set up (for a week) and then I have a pediatrician I'm going to shadow for 2-3 weeks. I also feel like option 1 would give me more time to get to know the chemistry professor and get a good LoR from her.

Suggestions, comments?

Members don't see this ad.