Summer Plans for 1st year Osteopathic Med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFNI_User

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

On a more positive upbeat topic. What is everyone doing with their "Summer off". Researching in that prestigious orthopedics lab? Spending loan money on a fancy third world medical mission? Working in a doctors office?

FYI, Its on the tail end of the time cycle for applying to research positions, so i strongly encourage people get out there and apply. You've got nothing to lose.

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to balance some actual REST with something I found fun. I worked in the ER to not only solidify what I learned, but also feel more comfortable talking about patients and begin the learning for 2nd year. It was super valuable for me, it gave me a heads up for 2nd year and I had a BLAST.

I wanted to balance some actual REST with something I found fun. I worked in the ER to not only solidify what I learned, but also feel more comfortable talking about patients and begin the learning for 2nd year. It was super valuable for me, it gave me a heads up for 2nd year and I had a BLAST.

If I may ask, what was your role in the E.R as an incoming OMS II?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sleeping, baking in the sun, and doing some board prep after maybe the first week of not doing anything.

Last edited:
I was debating between accepting a TA position and a research position...Both take up the entire summer, both pays the same amount....any thoughts?

Hello everyone,

On a more positive upbeat topic. What is everyone doing with their "Summer off". Researching in that prestigious orthopedics lab? Spending loan money on a fancy third world medical mission? Working in a doctors office?

FYI, Its on the tail end of the time cycle for applying to research positions, so i strongly encourage people get out there and apply. You've got nothing to lose.

Cheers

Where does one find these research positions to apply for?

From what I understand, you can go on university websites and read professors bios. This will give you an idea of what they are interested in research wise. Send them your info and CV and ask if they have room to take a medical student in their lab. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW...I did this in undergrad and it worked pretty well. I don't know, but it may be different for medical students.

I just E-mailed all the profs that taught us, whose research topics sounds interesting, and that I did well in their class. Apparently getting research as a medical student became much easier than back when we were undergrads..lol. I heard you can look up docs in the hospitals that are conducting clinical studies and try your luck with them, down side is that these are often volunteer positions.

From what I understand, you can go on university websites and read professors bios. This will give you an idea of what they are interested in research wise. Send them your info and CV and ask if they have room to take a medical student in their lab. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

BTW...I did this in undergrad and it worked pretty well. I don't know, but it may be different for medical students.
This is what I've been doing so far. Only been at it for a week or so and mostly gotten "sorry our lab is full" responses. I'm going to start including in my emails that although a paid position would be preferable, I'm not necessarily expecting one. A couple thousand would be nice, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not much when you're getting gouged with 50k in tuition per year. I'd rather have the experience for the summer than the money for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
This is what I've been doing so far. Only been at it for a week or so and mostly gotten "sorry our lab is full" responses. I'm going to start including in my emails that although a paid position would be preferable, I'm not necessarily expecting one. A couple thousand would be nice, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not much when you're getting gouged with 50k in tuition per year. I'd rather have the experience for the summer than the money for sure.
Yeah definitely, if you can get into a big name place, who cares about the money...it's all gonna be petty change when you become that dermatologist :D

If I may ask, what was your role in the E.R as an incoming OMS II?

I would interview patients and do basic exams, and I was also asked / taught about next steps or what to order for them. I was frequently asked what I thought they had, to present patients, and give my thoughts. I wasent held to the standard I am now, but still high enough to assume responsibility. It was wonderful, so wonderful in fact I do it every week once as a third year!

I would interview patients and do basic exams, and I was also asked / taught about next steps or what to order for them. I was frequently asked what I thought they had, to present patients, and give my thoughts. I wasent held to the standard I am now, but still high enough to assume responsibility. It was wonderful, so wonderful in fact I do it every week once as a third year!
Someone paid you to do this?

Someone paid you to do this?

Nope, I choose to do it on my free time. Because of it though, I became the founder of an EM Research and Shadowing program at the hospital where I worked.

If you have an idea for your summer, roll with it. Great things could come from it!

Do medical school research groups accept students who have been accepted at the program but won't be a 1st year until August?

Do medical school research groups accept students who have been accepted at the program but won't be a 1st year until August?
Usually they want MSIs who just finished their first year. However there might be exceptions, doesn't hurt to try right :D?

Usually they want MSIs who just finished their first year. However there might be exceptions, doesn't hurt to try right :D?

Seriously, thiS! If you email professors/researchers individually about THEIR work, and THEIR interests they'll likely to take free labor. Sending out generalized emails of research interested with no homework on your end, you're very unlikely to get anything. Really never hurts to be proactive.

Seriously, thiS! If you email professors/researchers individually about THEIR work, and THEIR interests they'll likely to take free labor. Sending out generalized emails of research interested with no homework on your end, you're very unlikely to get anything. Really never hurts to be proactive.

Thanks for the input guys!

Agree with the above-- my guess is they'd probably consider you more an undergrad researcher at that point, but it never hurts to ask (politely). Worst they can say is no.