Summer Plans for Vet Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pressmom

Third year!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's one in the pre-vet forum, but I'm curious about what other vet students are doing for the summer.

Personally, I'm studying renal scinitigraphy in cats to discover ureteral obstructions. Should be fun!

Members don't see this ad.

Wohoo!!! I just got news that I've been accepted into an NIH funded summer research program at school. Hopefully will be doing studies on nutrition (high processed vs low processed) and its effects on inflammation markers in mice - or maybe horses, depending on who my faculty mentor will be)- with chronic inflammatory conditions. Yes! Plus I get a free trip to Michigan to do a poster presentation at a symposium at the end (well, if things go right that is! :D)

In addition I'll be staying on as an after-hours/weekend/emergency tech in the Clinical Pathology lab at the teaching hospital too. I'm just one of those people who needs to be busy busy busy....if I have extended periods of time off, I actually don't know what to do with myself. Sad, eh? :p

Wohoo!!! I just got news that I've been accepted into an NIH funded summer research program at school. Hopefully will be doing studies on nutrition (high processed vs low processed) and its effects on inflammation markers in mice - or maybe horses, depending on who my faculty mentor will be)- with chronic inflammatory conditions. Yes! Plus I get a free trip to Michigan to do a poster presentation at a symposium at the end (well, if things go right that is! :D)

In addition I'll be staying on as an after-hours/weekend/emergency tech in the Clinical Pathology lab at the teaching hospital too. I'm just one of those people who needs to be busy busy busy....if I have extended periods of time off, I actually don't know what to do with myself. Sad, eh? :p

Yeah, I may be going to the radiology diplomat symposium to present a poster for this project. Should be really cool!

That's great on the NIH funding. What's the end goal of the study? Is it just to be applicable for animals or does it have human significance too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really not sure exactly what's going to be going on yet because I will be assigned a mentor and need to get my budget, so I can plan our what supplies I need, animals I will need, etc, and submit a formal proposal, get IUCAC approval, etc.

I'd really like to have an end goal that applies to both humans and animals. I've seen a lot of studies with mice and "glycosylated end-products" aka "glycotoxins" which are produced in food by processing/heating etc. Like the Maillard reaction in burnign toast, that kind of thing. Mice on low diets had longer lifespans, less insulin resistance, better kidney function and kidney histology, lowered gene markers of inflammation (rAGE genes specifically...), lowered inflammatory cytokines, etc...as compared to mice fed a highly processed, i.e. high glycosylated end-product diet.

So that suggests that you can control mediators of inflammation in the body via diet. These studies were in normal mice. I'd like to take some special mice predisposed to, say, arthritis, or even lupus mice. Try the diets on them and see if nutrition can actually lower inflammation in animals that aren't healthy and *have* chronic conditions.

The implications could be more targeted nutritional therapy for arthritis, asthma, chronic kidney problems, obesity (which has a LOT of inflammation problems) or allergies in people as well as animals - and also better monitoring of these conditions via inflammatory gene expression products. If I get the mentor I want, he is doing a study on inflammatory markers in obese horses, so if I could have a sideline project running with his, doing a nutritional study with them would be awesome. I've never done horse research before :)

OOhh radiology. Probly my toughest subject, but I have a lot of respect for it - it's so interesting, I just wish I was better at it!

Hopefully I'll be doing research on long-term pain relief for a rat arthritis model. :) I love research.

I'm doing a couple of externships in prime geographic areas, then doing some shadowing with my mentor, and basically relaxing a little. I'll do something a bit more "hard core" next summer!

I'm planning on going to South Africa to do research on cape buffalo in Kruger National Park. Pretty sweet deal! :>

OOhh radiology. Probly my toughest subject, but I have a lot of respect for it - it's so interesting, I just wish I was better at it!

Yeah, I don't have a lot of experience with it, but I'm a quick learner, so hopefully it will go well. My adviser said she'd teach me how to read all the ultrasounds and such, so I'm thinking it will give me a big leg up in clinics.

Your project sounds awesome!

i intend to get kicked and bitten by thoroughbred and arabians and at the same time shovelling **** and hay around...

Hopefully I'll be doing research on long-term pain relief for a rat arthritis model. :) I love research.

I also applied to a pain management/anesthesia study in dogs (for dogs), but I didn't get it. I'm very interested in pain management in general, so you'll have to let me know how it goes. :)

I'm planning on going to South Africa to do research on cape buffalo in Kruger National Park. Pretty sweet deal!

Wow, that IS a pretty sweet deal!

i intend to get kicked and bitten by thoroughbred and arabians and at the same time shovelling **** and hay around...

Oh, but it's good for your character, right? :-D. I love TBs.

Hopefully going to accomplish at least one externship in public health this summer, and planning on tagging along alot at the vet hospital I managed. THIS time, however, I hopefully won't hear my name called 100 times per day, and I'll actually get to devote time in the rooms and in surgery with the docs! (I guess it may help that I won't be on payroll, too, in that regard).

(A paycheck would be nice ... but I think hardcore experience, without the job strings attached, will benefit me best.)

If I'm really lucky, I'll also complete a large animal externship, but not sure about that.

Our summers are only 6 weeks, so that kind of limits what we can do for projects and jobs. I'd like a vacation. Not gonna lie! :D I'm working on setting up the Natura feeding program at Mizzou and if I do, I'm going to try to do the visit of their plant facility in late July. My nutrition professor also knows the nutritionist at the St. Louis Zoo and was trying to get me hooked up for a mini project. That would be neat too just following them around and seeing what goes into feeding all the critters. :cool:

WTF (hehe), definitely let us know the results of your study! Sounds very interesting!

Gosh, everyone's doing some really cool things...I wish I had a clue as to what I was definitely going to do! I could a) go home to DC and shadow/do externships/make some money at specialty practices; b) stay here and work in the school's ICU and anesthesia departments for two months; c) go to India for the first two weeks of August via a vet school exchange. Or any combination thereof.

I'm sort of procrastinating on making decisions! Would love to get some research experience for that ol' CV, but not sure if it's in the cards for this year.

RAVS trip, vacation with the family, a couple externships, maybe a few roadtrips, trialing my agility dog, and enjoying my last summer vacation ever!

I was planning on participating in the Merck/NIH-funded research program here at school all summer, and was even accepted, but over winter break I realized how much I missed my family and friends back home, and since this is technically my last summer break (we start clinical rotations the summer after sophomore year), I figured I'd rather spend some time back home.

I've decided to spend 7 weeks doing the Banfield summer program, which I'm really excited about because I haven't had any dog and cat experience for quite a few years, so I'll feel a lot more prepared when we start surgery lab next year. Also I can take all the vacation time I need to go to the four or five weddings that I've been invited to.

Then I'm headed to Grand Cayman for a two-week marine conservation and veterinary medicine program through MarVet, which I am so excited about! I just want to live it up this summer since it will be my last in a looooong time :cool: