Summer plans: When to stop working, find apt and move to school location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

+ve

Keep Ur Head Up!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
For those of you who have been accepted and have jobs, what are your plans for this summer?. When will you stop working, start looking for an apartment and move to wherever your school is located?. I just found out that at the school I'll most likely be attending, orientation week runs from August 13 - 17 and classes start August 20. I'm currently a clinical research assistant and trying to decide whether my last day of work should be 2 or 3 weeks before orientation so I can get enough rest. I'd like to travel for maybe 1 week, but then, I'll probably be bored to death with nothing to do for 2 weeks. I'll probably start looking for an apt in mid-june, secure one and move there the week before orientation. Which reminds me, share apartment with roommate or not during med school? what do y'all think?.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
For those of you who have been accepted and have jobs, what are your plans for this summer?. When will you stop working, start looking for an apartment and move to wherever your school is located?. I just found out that at the school I'll most likely be attending, orientation week runs from August 13 - 17 and classes start August 20. I'm currently a clinical research assistant and trying to decide whether my last day of work should be 2 or 3 weeks before orientation so I can get enough rest. I'd like to travel for maybe 1 week, but then, I'll probably be bored to death with nothing to do for 2 weeks. I'll probably start looking for an apt in mid-june, secure one and move there the week before orientation. Which reminds me, share apartment with roommate or not during med school? what do y'all think?.

I've pretty much got the same plan minus the traveling. I'm hoping not to get a roomate if I can afford it.

Hi,

depends, if i'm going home maybe ill give myself only 2 weeks.

if i go to houston maybe a month to adjust.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm quiting work 6 weeks before school starts. A couple weeks spent at home, packing, seeing friends, etc and those weekends spent condo shopping. 10 day Europe trip with a friend. 3ish weeks to move into my new place/painting/buying essential furniture etc since I have nothing (ah dorm living), and get settled into the city. I know myself well enough to know that I can't live with roommates during med school and that if i don't have everything purchased, out of boxes, and plugged in when school starts, I'll be sleeping on a mattress on the floor eating off of paper plates surrounded by boxes until MS1 summer.

I'm starting this fall and plan to work till next month.

I would say that much time you need is mostly dependent on how long it will take you to find an apartment where you're moving. If it's SF or NY, for instance, it could be a while. This is tied to money; if you don't have much, your housing options will be more limited.

I'm starting this fall and plan to work till next month.
That's sweet. What'll you do for the 4 or 5 months?

I want to quit work sometime in June (school starts probably mid august) but I"m worried about having no health insurance coverage in July. I know it sounds crazy but I get sick A LOT and my prescription will be ridiculously expensive if I have no health coverage. I could purchase a COBRA but that's really expensive too. As much as I want a break, I might keep working longer than I want just for the health insurance.

I want to quit work sometime in June (school starts probably mid august) but I"m worried about having no health insurance coverage in July. I know it sounds crazy but I get sick A LOT and my prescription will be ridiculously expensive if I have no health coverage. I could purchase a COBRA but that's really expensive too. As much as I want a break, I might keep working longer than I want just for the health insurance.

I'm in a similar situation. Well... not the getting sick part, but I have this phobia that as soon as I go off of health insurance, I'll get run over by a bus or something.

Anyway, I'm going to purchase COBRA. It'll only be for a month or two, and when you think about all the debt well be incurring, it't not that big a deal in the long run.

I'm thinking I'm going to move the beginning of July (school starts mid-August). It's a new town I've never lived in and I'd like the opportunity to explore it before class starts - that and like someone else has said, I'd prefer not to live out of boxes til June of '08 :oops:

I think I will give myself about 1-2 weeks before orientation if i move out of state. But I will probably visit about a month earlier for apt hunting. :)

I was thinking of getting there ~1 week before classes started, partly because I don't have much money to be traveling back and forth. However, some people make a good point about living out of boxes for a while and having to move furniture in.

So I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea to get in ~2 weeks before, start to buy furniture and get everything settled and get used to the surroundings. Bad thing is my parents can't drive with me that early, I'm going to have to do a lot of things by my lonely self :(.

I'm in a similar situation. Well... not the getting sick part, but I have this phobia that as soon as I go off of health insurance, I'll get run over by a bus or something.

Anyway, I'm going to purchase COBRA. It'll only be for a month or two, and when you think about all the debt well be incurring, it't not that big a deal in the long run.
Yeah. Most people have strong immune systems unless they are WEAK.