Summer plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnys

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those accepted to pharmacy schools for the fall 2012...what are your summer plans? and how are you preparing for pharmacy school?

I am taking anatomy and physiology ii, working, and taking several trips.

Members don't see this ad.

Those accepted to pharmacy schools for the fall 2012...what are your summer plans? and how are you preparing for pharmacy school?

I am taking anatomy and physiology ii, working, and taking several trips.

Hello!

yeah, I will be fine tuning my orgo and physio. BTW, what's physio II? I took one 4 credit physio class.

Where are you planning to travel? Wish I had a summer agenda to Aruba:laugh:

I am taking anatomy and physiology ii, working, and taking several trips.[/QU

work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work

Members don't see this ad :)

I am taking anatomy and physiology ii, working, and taking several trips.[/QU

work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work work

What do you do?

Hello!

yeah, I will be fine tuning my orgo and physio. BTW, what's physio II? I took one 4 credit physio class.

Where are you planning to travel? Wish I had a summer agenda to Aruba:laugh:

Anatomy and physiology II is just the second semester in the series. The class is together instead of anatomy course being separate from the physiology course. Tentative plans to vacation in colorado and washington.

Mostly just working and relaxing. I figured that this would be my last summer of being able to work a bs job so i'm in a coffee shop for the summer.

Aside from that, just finding housing and setting things up to move for the fall.

By the end of this semester I believe I will have done everything I could have to prep for pharmacy college. So I'll relax, find a temporary job, make sure I complete what's being asked of me for the school, and enjoy the summer!

By the end of this semester I believe I will have done everything I could have to prep for pharmacy college. So I'll relax, find a temporary job, make sure I complete what's being asked of me for the school, and enjoy the summer!

How did you prep? What subjects? Should we be looking at drug material as well or hone basic core sciences. Am currently doing physio and orgo, I actually love it haha. I used to work as a technician during the summer but I personally would rather be preparing for P1.

I am going to garden, take a family vacation, and read a crap load of books that I won't get to read once school has started. Oh, and work.

How did you prep? What subjects? Should we be looking at drug material as well or hone basic core sciences. Am currently doing physio and orgo, I actually love it haha. I used to work as a technician during the summer but I personally would rather be preparing for P1.

Working as a tech WILL prepare you as a P1.

Please don't waste your time studying the summer before pharm school. You'll have plenty of time to adjust to the material and workflow once school starts.

Read a book, travel, party- do whatever floats your boat because there won't be enough hours in the day for the simple things once school starts.

Working as a tech WILL prepare you as a P1.

Please don't waste your time studying the summer before pharm school. You'll have plenty of time to adjust to the material and workflow once school starts.

Read a book, travel, party- do whatever floats your boat because there won't be enough hours in the day for the simple things once school starts.

While working in a pharmacy taught me a few things about service, details, and the role of the pharmacist, it didn't teach me academia. The pharmacist isn't going to sit down with you with a bottle of medication and school you in chemical reaction and pharmacokinetics if he's up to his neck with insur. rejections! (At least my pharmacist didnt.)

I beg to differ about "wasting" time studying. It can only do you good. But I don't say that to say this: Shut yourself out and bury your head in your books! On the contrary! Balance is key. Personally, I've spent summers doing nothing and when September rolled around it was hard to "buckle down" for 6 classes. But that's me.

Only wishing to be like those blessed few who can juggle school, work, travel, party. I know a few...how Do they do it??!

While working in a pharmacy taught me a few things about service, details, and the role of the pharmacist, it didn't teach me academia. The pharmacist isn't going to sit down with you with a bottle of medication and school you in chemical reaction and pharmacokinetics if he's up to his neck with insur. rejections! (At least my pharmacist didnt.)

I agree you can't replace the knowledge you'll be presented in academia, but what good is all that knowledge if you can't effectively communicate with patients and providers? School doesn't teach you customer service, empathy, and how to resolve a problem.

Maybe I'm biased as I dug through the trenches as a tech in retail for two years before starting pharmacy school, but beyond what I mentioned previously my experience with brand/generics, indications, common dosages, and interactions has helped me immensely now.

It's not a replacement to school, but in my opinion work experience is the best supplement before, and during.

I agree you can't replace the knowledge you'll be presented in academia, but what good is all that knowledge if you can't effectively communicate with patients and providers? School doesn't teach you customer service, empathy, and how to resolve a problem.

Maybe I'm biased as I dug through the trenches as a tech in retail for two years before starting pharmacy school, but beyond what I mentioned previously my experience with brand/generics, indications, common dosages, and interactions has helped me immensely now.

It's not a replacement to school, but in my opinion work experience is the best supplement before, and during.

I agree. I have been a pharm tech for about 2 years(a great job for any high schooler btw. I wasn't even planning on pursuing pharmacy. I was a comp sci major coming into college)

As with most careers, you forget a lot of the stuff you learn in school. Application and people skills are what really count.

Work and have good times for 3 months...aw yeaaah.

Sent from my PC36100

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with you that work isn't replacement for school. You know what's funny? Why don't pharmacy schools have a course on communication, service, and problem-solving? For some reason we're left with our own devices here. Some people are great communicators and others need improvement.

I have worked as a tech. for almost 2 years as well and what I learned there is to keep my cool with impossibly irrational patients haha and if you're too nice they'll start stepping all over you. Wow, you actually learned about indications and interactions...that's neat. I learned about indications, yeah... Make sure the DEA number indicates two specific letters for drug "S":D Man, did my pharmacist drill that.

If you had to give adivce for those preparing, what should we focus on? Besides the workload, is the material hard to digest? I mean I have friends who have developed dark-eye circles lol..

I beg to differ about "wasting" time studying. It can only do you good. But I don't say that to say this: Shut yourself out and bury your head in your books! On the contrary! Balance is key. Personally, I've spent summers doing nothing and when September rolled around it was hard to "buckle down" for 6 classes. But that's me.
Learn brand/generics and pharmacologic/therapeutic class for the top 200. You can pretty much do it without trying when you are a tech, but even that put me months ahead of people in our class.

Start really paying attention to the pharmacist when he/she counsels for a drug. It's amazing what you retain... and then when the professor goes over it in class it's like you already know it (because you do).

I've learned a TON from being a tech and I've only been one about 7 months lol. My advice to anyone entering pharmacy school this fall is to:

1) Get a job if you don't have one
2) Work as much as possible this summer and hang out with your non-pharmacy friends whenever you get the chance.
3.) Don't study anything that isn't 100% memorization. You can learn micro/patho/biochem concepts all you want but most of your time will be wasted. Bottom line, you don't have the class notes and you have no idea what to focus on. Studying this stuff is not going to help you.

I'm planning on working my tail off to try to save some $$$. Lord knows I'm going to need it come fall. ;)