Summer work opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhawkins16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Do you have any suggestions for summer work for someone who is going to Pharmacy school in the Fall? I was thinking about just working as a clerk at CVS, since I'll at least be in a Pharmacy setting. There is really no use in getting my pharmacy tecth certification, since I'll get my internship license as a first year pharmacy student since I live in Tennessee (I don't know what the rules are for that in other states).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. Do you have any suggestions for summer work for someone who is going to Pharmacy school in the Fall? I was thinking about just working as a clerk at CVS, since I'll at least be in a Pharmacy setting. There is really no use in getting my pharmacy tecth certification, since I'll get my internship license as a first year pharmacy student since I live in Tennessee (I don't know what the rules are for that in other states).

Hey @jhawkins16 - congrats on getting into pharmacy school (woohoo!). Just know that you shouldn't feel *obligated* to gain more pharmacy experience just for the sake of having more pharmacy experience before beginning your classes (you'll get plenty of that in pharmacy school). You should do what you enjoy or what you would find fulfilling! Since it sounds like you enjoy pharmacy, working as a pharmacy tech would be a good option but whether or not you need to be certified varies state by state, so I'm not sure whether that would apply to you.

Speaking as someone who has been in similar shoes, I took some of that time to travel and then move to that city so I could familiarize myself with the area (and avoid dealing with the hassle of moving in the middle of classes). That was also a great way to meet and socialize with some of my classmates outside of school.

As for employment opportunities to pay the bills, I imagine the pharmacy tech option would be a good choice (if it doesn't require certification in your state, or if your state has minimal requirements for certification). Otherwise, you should be able to do pretty much anything that sounds interesting to you. Being a CVS clerk would be an interesting way to gain exposure to the other moving parts of a pharmacy (especially should you move into a management role in your career). If you enjoy research, working as a lab tech or research assistant in a pharmaceutics / pharmacology lab is another option.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the certification requirements for Florida is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, fellow Floridian! [insert palm tree emoji here]

According to the Florida Board of Pharmacy's website, you'll need to register with the Board of Pharmacy by submitting (1) the Pharmacy Technician Registration Application and (2) proof of completion of a board-approved pharmacy technician-training program.

It looks like they approve training programs accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, or the Council on Occupational Education; or approved by the Florida Commission for Independent Education; or provided by a branch of the federal armed services. You can find more information and links to these programs on the Florida Board of Pharmacy's website.

Good luck! I hope it works out! :)

Hi, fellow Floridian! [insert palm tree emoji here]

According to the Florida Board of Pharmacy's website, you'll need to register with the Board of Pharmacy by submitting (1) the Pharmacy Technician Registration Application and (2) proof of completion of a board-approved pharmacy technician-training program.

It looks like they approve training programs accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, or the Council on Occupational Education; or approved by the Florida Commission for Independent Education; or provided by a branch of the federal armed services. You can find more information and links to these programs on the Florida Board of Pharmacy's website.

Good luck! I hope it works out! :)

So certified tech and registered tech are two different things? How so? I've been trying for a pharm tech job and none of them want to train. They expect you to be already certified or registered,..

So certified tech and registered tech are two different things? How so? I've been trying for a pharm tech job and none of them want to train. They expect you to be already certified or registered,..
Certification, registration, and licensure are three different things.

Certification usually involves taking an exam to prove that you are qualified in a given profession (like as a pharmacy tech). The Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is the most common provider of tech certifications, and their certifications are recognized in all 50 states. There’s another certification agency that I can’t remember the name of right now, but it is only recognized by about 20 states.

Registration is basically putting yourself on a list that says you exist. It has nothing to do with whether you are qualified to act as a tech. This would be like if you joined the APhA; you would be registered with the APhA but that wouldn’t mean anything to employers.

Licensure is when the state evaluates your credentials and decides you are qualified based on those credentials to practice in a given profession. This usually involves paying a fee and providing copies of your certification(s) to the state board of pharmacy.

If your state does not allow uncertified or unlicensed techs to practice, I guarantee you will not find any employers willing to train you to become a tech if you’re not already certified. They can just as easily find someone who is already certified, never mind the fact that letting you behind the pharmacy counter without any credentials would be super illegal. Employers who train and pay for their techs to become certified are more common in states where it is not a requirement for techs to be certified or licensed, since investing that kind of time and money into an employee means they will be better prepared to perform their job.

Reactions: 1 users
That was a really good explanation @capri1722 . Basically @manan982 in Florida you will need to be registered but not certified.

That was a really good explanation @capri1722 . Basically @manan982 in Florida you will need to be registered but not certified.
So if I start pharmacy school in the Fall, would I be working as a registered pharm tech or an intern? Someone told me that you can apply as an intern because you already got in?

In the Florida board of pharmacy it says there's a registered pharmacy tech training program and a registered pharm tech link. Which one would I choose if I'm still looking for a pharm tech job?

@manan982 - It was my understanding that you would have to have started classes and be enrolled in a pharmacy internship program to be a pharmacy intern, but you may need to check with the Florida Board of Pharmacy or ask your potential employers what the requirements are. You would be able to work as a registered pharmacy tech, though!

To register with the Florida Board of Pharmacy, you will have to submit the application on their website and enroll in one of the accepted training programs - I'm not exactly sure what link you're referring to, but you could very likely contact the Florida Board of Pharmacy to ensure that a training program you're interested in is approved!