This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

titanboy101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have acceptances from Mayo, GSK SURP and the Emory SURE program, and I'm having a really tough time trying to decide where to go this summer. I would prefer being in Atlanta this summer but I don't know if I'm passing something big up by declining Mayo or GSK.

Does the prestige of these summer programs matter that much? The only way I would want to go to the other programs is if the prestige/name of the program helps a lot for medical school admissions and would have a great difference on my app or if I have a greater chance to get published. Do most programs generally result in a poster or abstract submission?

Also, Emory pays least while GSK and Mayo pay similar after taking into account housing.

I have to decide by Monday and I'm torn right now. I'd appreciate anyone's insight. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no significant "prestige" associated with what campus you do your summer program at, and the odds of a publication from your summer work are small (thought not zero!). So, go to Emory.