Summer Research Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushma Chaudhar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do these research internships look at while selecting from those thousands of applications? It would be great if someone that got into one of these programs can tell me what volunteer or research work they did that made them competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Nymphicus! I'm new here and this is my first post so it'll take a while to know this site better but thanks for the links.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, another opportunity to keep in mind would be pharmaceutical internships. I've worked at Novartis and Celgene and both were 100% lab based research (I did neuroendocrine tumor work for one and drug-drug interactions for the other -- both very biochemistry/biophysics oriented, involving proteins and such in the basic pathways PLUS the developmental drugs. really cool stuff). Gives you excellent exposure to an (often overlooked) aspect of healthcare and they pay REALLY well. My advice: meet a recruiter or know a current employee. They get literally thousands of applications for one spot.

Also, another opportunity to keep in mind would be pharmaceutical internships. I've worked at Novartis and Celgene and both were 100% lab based research (I did neuroendocrine tumor work for one and drug-drug interactions for the other -- both very biochemistry/biophysics oriented, involving proteins and such in the basic pathways PLUS the developmental drugs. really cool stuff). Gives you excellent exposure to an (often overlooked) aspect of healthcare and they pay REALLY well. My advice: meet a recruiter or know a current employee. They get literally thousands of applications for one spot.

:thumbup: Absolutely. I'm interning with Amgen right now. Literally blows every other internship I've done out of the water in terms of both compensation and lab techniques/drug industry stuff I'm learning.