summer research need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zama

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that you should do research that really interests you, but say if you want to get into a competitive speciality as orthopedic surgery, would it be highly recommended to do summer research in orthopedics and would it be better for clinical or non-clinical?

Members don't see this ad.

It really doesn't matter...if you want to do research, then do it. Doing research can't hurt, but think about priorities in your life.

Like, getting married...going on a final vacation or mission trip, or exchange program. Or just spending time with your loved ones.

research is more about the process than the actual topic, but then again, there's no better way than to show your interest and dedication to a field than to do research in that particular field. basic science research generally is viewed with more clout than clinical research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that you need a do-able project that you will be able to publish. That is exceedingly difficult to accomplish in a very brief summer vacation, especially if you value your weekends.

What if you don't publish? I have no idea of what specialty i want to do in the future, so what type of research should I get into? I was thinking about doing some type of autopsy research, at least that way I can get more familiar w/anatomy and pathology, do you guys think this is a good idea for some summer research?