Summer Research: NIH SIP 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is meant solely for applicants to the NIH Summer Internship Program. I haven't found the thread that combines 1000 different research programs to be that helpful. Use this thread to learn anything you want about the NIH SIP.

I have applied to this program and am just looking to get some advice with writing follow up emails to PIs who have not responded to your email.

IF there are any alumni or students that have already been accepted, please help us out by answering some of our questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I have recently been interviewed (by phone) by a PI and accepted. I am currently waiting on the official acceptance from the director of the program. Has anyone gone through this process? How long after talking to to a PI were you officially notified?

I have recently been interviewed (by phone) by a PI and accepted. I am currently waiting on the official acceptance from the director of the program. Has anyone gone through this process? How long after talking to to a PI were you officially notified?

I started receiving official emails about forms etc 5 days after I was phone interviewed and accepted (this was 4 years ago so the process might have changed).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting on them, do they give silent rejections?

I've also already been accepted (had to interview at the lab I'll be working in) and can answer any questions.

I'm still waiting on them, do they give silent rejections?

"On or about May 15, those who have not been selected will be informed via e-mail. Remember, there is no central selection committee for this program."
(from https://www.training.nih.gov/resources/faqs/summer_interns#q31)

If you e-mailed PIs, they may or may not respond. I received some e-mails stating that they did not have the funds for an intern this year and some others did not respond. I also e-mailed weeks ago and am still receiving responses.

I started receiving official emails about forms etc 5 days after I was phone interviewed and accepted (this was 4 years ago so the process might have changed).

What did you do about housing and were you happy with your choice? I am thinking that staying at American University seems like a very convenient option to avoid dealing with long term leases or furnishing apartments. Any thoughts?

How important is previous research experience for this program? I plan on applying to it for next summer. Any advice?

How important is previous research experience for this program? I plan on applying to it for next summer. Any advice?

It's hard to say definitively yes or no because if may depend on the PI and project, but I was accepted with no prior experience. Just be sure to highlight your lab skills (I included a skills section on my resume) and other experiences that would enable you to be a beneficial intern. The PI I am going to work with understood that I didn't have any research experience and was only looking for solid lab skills.

Since you have another year, involve yourself in leadership positions and participate in science related activities on your campus. Try to get a work-study in science or anything that will show you are trying to increase your exposure to science.

Best of luck!

I was wondering from anyone who has done the NIH SIP in the past how to dress (for a girl). It is difficult to dress weather appropriate (DC is going to be very hot in the summer), professionally AND lab appropriate (obviously no sandals). Is it a requirement to wear long pants? How do interns dress for work?

What did you do about housing and were you happy with your choice? I am thinking that staying at American University seems like a very convenient option to avoid dealing with long term leases or furnishing apartments. Any thoughts?

Sorry, can't help you out there...I was at one of the institutes in Baltimore and I commuted from home. A lot of people in my program just subletted an apartment from a Hopkins student who wouldn't be there over the summer, furnished and everything. I'm sure you can find accommodations like that at a DC university.

I was wondering from anyone who has done the NIH SIP in the past how to dress (for a girl). It is difficult to dress weather appropriate (DC is going to be very hot in the summer), professionally AND lab appropriate (obviously no sandals). Is it a requirement to wear long pants? How do interns dress for work?

Yes you must wear long pants. I wore khaki, grey, or black pants with a nice blouse. Shoot for nice business casual. If it's extremely hot, you can bring your nice clothes and change when you get there so you don't get them all sweaty.

I've already been accepted.

For those of you who were accepted to the program, would you mind answering a few questions?
1. When did you start contacting PIs, and when did you receive interviews/acceptances?
2. How much background knowledge did you need to have before being accepted? Did PIs ask about specific techniques or protocols?
3. How was your experience, overall (for those of you who attended)?

Thanks!!

For those of you who were accepted to the program, would you mind answering a few questions?
1. When did you start contacting PIs, and when did you receive interviews/acceptances?
2. How much background knowledge did you need to have before being accepted? Did PIs ask about specific techniques or protocols?
3. How was your experience, overall (for those of you who attended)?

Thanks!!

1. I didn't contact any PIs, I just received a call out of the blue. I think I was accepted sometime in late March or early April.

2. I had zero background knowledge. I had just finished my freshman year and my project was in neuroscience. My PI and the others in the lab were extremely helpful in teaching me protocols and background on the project, and it was the main reason I decided to major in neuroscience.

3. My experience was great. I was able to be very independent on my project after learning the ropes and I got to present my poster at my school's science conference later that year. The big conference in Bethesda was awesome, and they also had a medical school fair with pretty much every school. You also make a lot of friends in the program!