Applying to NIH SIP (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moralis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a couple questions about applying to NIH SIP.

1. I have heard a lot that you should email PI’s there rather than simply going through the application. For those who have done it before— is this true? If so, should I email PI’s before or after submitting an application?
2. What are the chances that SIP is on this summer? Are there rumors that it may be cancelled etc.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I had the opportunity to do an internship at NIH in previous years, so I'll be able to answer some of your questions.

1. The first thing you want to do is fill out the SIP application. After, you want to reach out to potential research advisors/mentors you'd be interested in working with. Once you find a couple of people whose research interests you, send an email to reach out to them. In my email, I introduced myself (name, major, university, career aspirations), talked about why their research interested me, and asked for a time to meet and talk about potential projects or opportunities they had in their lab for undergrads. It is absolutely essential that you send emails/reach out to people you're interested in working in. The reason you need to do so is because when you submit an application, you're essentially put into a large database with all the other internship applicants. A research advisor might search through that database if their interested in finding a summer student, but the chances of them stumbling upon your application are slim to none. When you reach out to them personally, they can search for you through the application database and look further at your skills, academic record, etc. This pretty much mimics the process of graduate school for PhD students.

2. This summer, SIP is very likely to happen, though it was cancelled last summer. However, coordinators have said that the program might operate completely remotely/completely virtually depending on the severity of COVID-19. Right now, they're not sure whether things will happen in-person or remotely.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I have a couple questions about applying to NIH SIP.

1. I have heard a lot that you should email PI’s there rather than simply going through the application. For those who have done it before— is this true? If so, should I email PI’s before or after submitting an application?
2. What are the chances that SIP is on this summer? Are there rumors that it may be cancelled etc.

Thank you!
Hi! I applied this year and was wondering if you landed an internship? If so, how did you get a PI to offer you one?