Summer retail pharmacy internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sos7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if it's difficult to get a summer pharmacy internship in retail (walgreens, cvs, etc) if the candidate has NO tech experience but has completed their P2 year of pharmacy school? Do the big chains typically look for and give preference to candidates with tech experience? Thanks in advance...!

Members don't see this ad.

It can be difficult to get a summer internship, in general. It depends on the programs. I managed to get into the Walgreens program without any previous experience, but that might have been due to luck.

It is relatively easy to get a pharmacy intern position around my school, experienced or not. At my school when people come to recruit pharmacists they offer intern positions. I think if you got good references you should be fine. However, you should apply now for the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe, maybe not. I know a lot of the internships around here went to students who already worked as interns for the company.

Do you mean an internship as a job, or as a structured experience (Walgreen's does offer that too, I think it is 12 weeks - a friend of mine has done that, but I am not sure if it is open to people who have not been previously employed at Walgreen's).

Getting a job is pretty easy - you fill out online application and wait for a call. If the area you are in is saturated with techs/interns, then it is a good idea to come personally to the stores you would most like to work at, and talk to the pharmacy manager and tell them you are really interested.

I am not sure about the structured internship, since I have never done one.

Was wondering if it's difficult to get a summer pharmacy internship in retail (walgreens, cvs, etc) if the candidate has NO tech experience but has completed their P2 year of pharmacy school? Do the big chains typically look for and give preference to candidates with tech experience? Thanks in advance...!

I know that Target does this because there is somebody in my class that did one just for summer last year. Also, I think Wal-Mart might. I'm a CVS employee, and to the best of my knowledge I've never seen anyone in our area hired just for the summer.

I guess I mean both- is it difficult to get a retail pharmacy intern position without tech experience for both a structured program, and/or unstructured, among the big retail companies...? Thanks for all the help and replies!

I got a structured summer internship with no experience after my P1 year.

they should have interns at Walgreens

I am ectstatic! I can't believe that I have an interview for a Walgreens internship this Thursday. I didn't think that I had a chance since I have not started school yet. Cool thing is that it's 12 weeks long which is perfect.:D

Hmm. I am a bit worried now. I still have time to ask, but are these internships paid, because I do support myself financially and it will be hard to be in an internship that does not pay. I would really be upset to pass up on this opportunity. Has anyone done a 12 week internship at Walgreens and with pay?

Hmm. I am a bit worried now. I still have time to ask, but are these internships paid, because I do support myself financially and it will be hard to be in an internship that does not pay. I would really be upset to pass up on this opportunity. Has anyone done a 12 week internship at Walgreens and with pay?

Never mind. I got the info.:p

I know that Target does this because there is somebody in my class that did one just for summer last year. Also, I think Wal-Mart might. I'm a CVS employee, and to the best of my knowledge I've never seen anyone in our area hired just for the summer.

So far Longs, CVS, Walgreen's, and Target have been here to promote their summer internships. I'll be in the CVS one this summer. I don't know if Wal-mart has one or not.

Wal-Mart does have a summer internship program in this market.

The sooner you start looking, the easier it will be. Alot of students at semester schools figure out internships in March-April, so if you are in or near one of those, you may find that alot of positions are already filled. I'd imagine most people on the quarter system are already looking or have set something up by now too.

Every chain is different, and interviewers have different preferences. One of my classmates with no tech experience was placed at the CVS by my house. I also applied for the position and I had alot of experience. When my interviewer asked me some initial background questions and found out that I am from the Seattle area, her next comment was that she found that people not from the Midwest did not seem to be easy to talk to in her experience and she didn't think she had any interns that weren't from the Midwest. You wouldn't think of that as a hangup a recruiter would normally have, but, whatever.

I'm doing the Target Internship this summer! Anyone hear anything good or bad about it?? Especially if you've done it before. =0)