Summer Session Decision

PreMedEd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, here is the deal:

I have a not so great math background my entire High School experience and have been placed into Pre-Calc at Rutgers. That's fine.

I just recently got accepted to take part in a Summer Session that is completely free of cost (including room and board, tuition, books, etc.) which will last for 5 weeks over the summer (June 25 - July 27).
The only thing is that the summer course will only get me through Pre - Calc 1 and I will still have to take Pre - Calc part 2 during my first semester as opposed to going the traditional route and taking all of Pre-Calc in one semester.

I need some help deciding whether I should take the route that allows me to enjoy the summer. Or the route that allows me to really buckle down, study, focus, get personal attention for free, and gets me prepared to really face college without facing all of it.

And the summer pre-calc class also includes "Preparation for College Chemistry", totalling 6 credits in all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...tough call but if i were you and afraid of my math skills, i would go ahead and do the summer session. Remmeber you have not started college, its much more different than highschool. I think the summer session will give you the opportunity to not only get a feel for college structure, but also give you time to work hard on your math skills, since that will be your only class, you can work the hardest since you have no worries about studying for anything else. Also you should take the opportunity to get a little ahead, and perhaps get an insight into how pre calc 2 is going to be for you.

This way, you can bang out precal 2 Semester 1, take Calc 1 Semester 2.

and your most likely done with your med school requisite. I think only some want you to take calc 2, check up on it. But if your done with math your first year, it will just free up your schedule to take more classes you might be interested in and test out majors (im assuming you do not want to be a math major) for your sophomore year.

Mmm alright, thank you very much, definitely gave me some positive reinforcement although my girlfriend is pissed about it.. I think I will take the summer session then, and you guessed it that I really don't want to be a math major. Especially since it's free and nothing at college is usually free is also a big seller to the program