Summer Session Squeeze

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geomike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I attend UC Irvine and I am a computer science major. I am doing computer science classes along with premed classes and figured that I would just get the prereqs out of the way and apply to med school, but it is just not working out like I would have hoped. Getting into med school has been my goal since the beginning, but I felt that maybe I should pursue both premed and compsci since I am legitimately interested in both. Long story short I have totally train wrecked and I'm looking at a cumulative gpa of 3.2 and hopefully it won't get lower by this quarter's results (I'm taking 20 units and it's killing me). I have spent a lot of time thinking about this and it's been really weighing on me and I have come to the realization that I am trying to be a jack of all trades and not actually focusing on what I want the most. I am treating premed as my main goal but my treating my major compsci classes as secondary even though it's my major. Instead of having my feet in two different worlds I would like to just major in bio because that would make fitting in premed classes a lot easier. I am also very interested in bio, don't get me wrong, I'm not just switching into it because it seems "easier", because it definitely isn't but I believe it is more geared toward my goals in life.

So sorry for the long intro, I am not really trying to make a sob story or anything, but I just had a question. I basically finished my gen chem series (this is my last class that I am taking currently), but all i need is Bio 93 and Bio 94 to be eligible to switch into the Biology major. I am planning on taking Bio 93 and 94 together during Summer Session II because that is the only summer session I can make. I was wondering if this doable or not. The counselor told me that she doesn't recommend this at all because she said it is very difficult, but I've been having a really difficult course load all freshman year. I haven't taken a quarter under 17 units so far. What are your opinions or advice for me? I'm really at a loss right now and I feel that I have just spent a year of my life running after the wrong thing. If you got this far in my post, I really appreciate the time it means a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

TL;DR for those of you who just want the question: OP has a 3.2 GPA, considering switching to bio major from CS, however they would need to take a very difficult summer selection of courses in order to do so.
OP wonders what advice you offer.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for paraphrasing, I didn't know exactly what info was need so I attempted to put as much as I could while not being too verbose. Thanks I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I attend UC Irvine and I am a computer science major. I am doing computer science classes along with premed classes and figured that I would just get the prereqs out of the way and apply to med school, but it is just not working out like I would have hoped. Getting into med school has been my goal since the beginning, but I felt that maybe I should pursue both premed and compsci since I am legitimately interested in both. Long story short I have totally train wrecked and I'm looking at a cumulative gpa of 3.2 and hopefully it won't get lower by this quarter's results (I'm taking 20 units and it's killing me). I have spent a lot of time thinking about this and it's been really weighing on me and I have come to the realization that I am trying to be a jack of all trades and not actually focusing on what I want the most. I am treating premed as my main goal but my treating my major compsci classes as secondary even though it's my major. Instead of having my feet in two different worlds I would like to just major in bio because that would make fitting in premed classes a lot easier. I am also very interested in bio, don't get me wrong, I'm not just switching into it because it seems "easier", because it definitely isn't but I believe it is more geared toward my goals in life.

So sorry for the long intro, I am not really trying to make a sob story or anything, but I just had a question. I basically finished my gen chem series (this is my last class that I am taking currently), but all i need is Bio 93 and Bio 94 to be eligible to switch into the Biology major. I am planning on taking Bio 93 and 94 together during Summer Session II because that is the only summer session I can make. I was wondering if this doable or not. The counselor told me that she doesn't recommend this at all because she said it is very difficult, but I've been having a really difficult course load all freshman year. I haven't taken a quarter under 17 units so far. What are your opinions or advice for me? I'm really at a loss right now and I feel that I have just spent a year of my life running after the wrong thing. If you got this far in my post, I really appreciate the time it means a lot.

I agree, you should just cut your losses short and switch into Bio, before CS classes ruin your GPA further. At least where I'm from, CS classes are notorious for giving low grades -- with the average being a C. Why not just take your time switching into Bio -- there's no need to take both Bio 93 and 94 because you aren't in a rush (you're still freshman). I'm sure you will still be able to switch in the middle of your sophomore year? (Talk to your adviser)

Reactions: 1 user
I agree, you should just cut your losses short and switch into Bio, before CS classes ruin your GPA further. At least where I'm from, CS classes are notorious for giving low grades -- with the average being a C. Why not just take your time switching into Bio -- there's no need to take both Bio 93 and 94 because you aren't in a rush (you're still freshman). I'm sure you will still be able to switch in the middle of your sophomore year? (Talk to your adviser)

Ya, cs classes are definitely a beast of their own and are not great to have with premed classes because your gpa will definitely suffer. I actually talked to a bio advisor today and she told me that UC Irvine is pretty strict with their bio majors, Bio 93 and 94 must be completed by first year or else you can't ever have the option of switching into the bio major because I guess they just have too many bio majors already so they try to limit it by doing things like this. That's why I am taking it in the summer, I honestly wish it wasn't this rushed, but I made a big mistake for majoring in CS and not just focusing on what I know is going to be my future career of being a physician and I am paying the price for it.