Summer UAG medical spanish course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjyudits

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey has anyone gone to the med spanish course that the Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara offers? I'd like to hear about your experiences and if it was a worthwhile course. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 2nd semester at UAG School of Medicine - International Program. Basically, the first two years are in english (USMLE prep) and the last two(hospital rotations) are in spanish. That gives us two years to learn just enough spanish to communicate with patients in a medical setting.
Ex. "Where does it hurt" "Donde te duele"

Most students who come here already know some spanish from spanish classes taking in undergrad. UAG offers accelerated medical spanish courses for the students of the international program during summer and another during the semester which are attended on saturdays.
Hope this helps

Oh sorry, I did not answer your question. I already know enough spanish to get by so I did not register for the class but my roomate took it last semester. He could not speak any spanish at all when he got here. Now he can speak enough spanish to take a history and fill out a SOAP in spanish. All this in one semester so I will assume the class is good.

We begin to work to clinics starting first semester (40 hours per semester). Last semester, I had to be in the room with my roomate to translate while he worked on the patients history, physical exam, and SOAP. This semester, he feels more comfortable seeing the patients on his own. Just thought I would add that.

I just wanted to revive this thread and get some more opinions from all of you out there. Did anyone take this med spanish course during the summer? If so, how did you like it?

Thanks