SUMMER! What should premed do?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lk2230

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi...What should I do this summer?
I'm a Post-Bacc Premed at Columbia. In my second semester, currently taking Gen Chem II, Gen Chem Lab, and Gen Physics. I've been doing OK, I had a bit of a rough time adjusting back into the student lifestyle, so my GPA after this semester will probably be something like a 3.1. It's not where it needs to be, though I'm confident it will continue rising through the second year.
It's about that time to start thinking about what I'm going to do for summer, and I want to do something that A) obviously, I'll enjoy, and B) will be a genuine help in overcoming my somewhat lower GPA on med school applications.
Briefly, my Extracurricular experience is that I've worked over 150 hours in a physical therapy practice, and I am currently working for a doctor who president of a medical society and editor-in-chief of a journal. Essentially, I'm an editorial assistant...I have a major role in helping my boss write his manuscripts and organizing his research, and I have a major role in reading manuscript submissions from doctors all over the world. So the job is good, but its not clinical and its not exactly research either.

So what should I do this summer? My interests lie strongly with Physical Medicine and Rehabiliation, and I want to be a clinician, not a researcher. I'd really like to do something noteworthy this summer, but not sure whether research or clinical work is the way to go. I also don't think I'm ready to volunteer in Africa just yet. Since I'm interested in physiatry, I was thinking of volunteering at Rusk Institute (I'm in NY) a few days a week, and volunteering another few days a week as an academic associate at St. Luke's (gathering patients and data from patients for clinical studies, getting to see a lot of general ER work being done). That, and keeping my job.

Is this enough to really add some bang to my application? Please, please any suggestions are helpful, I'm open to anything, and I know any advice given to me will help out other Premeds as well.

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever else you do, study for the mcat.
A high score there will overcome most any low gpa.
Not that you'll get into harvard...but you'll get in somewhere
with a high mcat imo.

good luck
Johnny

JohnnyOU said:
Whatever else you do, study for the mcat.
A high score there will overcome most any low gpa.
Not that you'll get into harvard...but you'll get in somewhere
with a high mcat imo.

good luck
Johnny

Thanks for the response! That said, you are absolutely right, but I'm hoping to get some feedback on what volunteer experiences I should do to get more bang in my applications.

And that said, since you mention it, how should one in my stage go about studying for the MCAT over the summer? Keep in mind I'll have only finished General (Inorganic) Chemistry and Physics at that point. I'm planning on taking an MCAT Prep course, but wasn't gonna start that till the winter. What should I be doing over the summer?

That, and how to volunteer? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have alot of shadowing and volunteer experience, already. I would study for the MCAT, and maybe give a few hours a week to a hospital, or something. Otherwise, if you don't need to work, count yourself lucky and enjoy it. Relax. It may the last summer you have to do so for awhile.

scratch that, I missed the part about your job. Then, definitely don't overextend yourself.

In general:
Whatever you do, do not go into it with the mentality that you are just there to check off another item on your resume to do list. Put in 100% effort and good things will come to you. If you are lacking in clinical stuff go volunteer at an ER. Yes, I know most every pre-med does this so it seems like nothing special but if you go there and bust your ass every day that you’re there you will get recognized. When I volunteered pre-meds would pop in once or twice stand around and BS then check it off on their application. Big deal! I went three times a week and made myself an asset by translating Spanish, transporting patients, restocking blanket warmers and rooms, running labs, coming on New Years eve, and even helping patients use the bathroom, getting to know the hospital so I could do these things without a babysitter. The techs loved this because it made their jobs easier, the nurses loved it because it made finding a ‘hard to find tech’ easier, and the docs noticed and wrote me an awesome LOR. They also called me into rooms to observe some pretty cool procedures. I am not saying it has to be ER or even clinical if you are good in that area, but just invest all of yourself in whatever it is. Good luck

Columbia's Post-Bacc people could really do a better job giving students a heads up! When I had asked my advisor around when do summer opportunities start to trickle in (and posted for students to see) she said march-april, whenever they start appearing I'll know.

I started just know researching on the 'Net, and found some websites listing all the structured summer programs available in NY for summer in research or structured clinical, and all application deadlines have past for most! Even this amazing sounding Rusk Institute one! Man, I'm pissed!

This makes my summer search that much harder.

Do you know about the Bellevue Summer Program(PAVERS)? I have no clue about the deadline but it is pretty solid. A lot of the good programs have deadlines that passed but you can make your own opportunities if you talk to the right people.

EDIT:
Sorry, it's a 1 year program but it only requires about 4 hours/week.
Bellevue's Project Healthcare is the Summer Program I was talking about.

1. Study for your MCAT
2. Volunteer a few hours a week at a hospital is all you need in terms of more pt. exposure.
3. Volunteer in non-medically related things (church choir, literacy volunteer, etc.)
4. Enjoy yourself.

With only 2 subjects under your belt I would say to go over the chapters you had problems with. I would not go over anything you excelled in since it should still be easy to review. Eliminate your weaknesses. A few hours a week may be the most that is needed.

lk2230 said:
And that said, since you mention it, how should one in my stage go about studying for the MCAT over the summer? Keep in mind I'll have only finished General (Inorganic) Chemistry and Physics at that point. I'm planning on taking an MCAT Prep course, but wasn't gonna start that till the winter. What should I be doing over the summer?

That, and how to volunteer? Thanks!

I can't believe you really had to ask that question.

GOLF. 'Nuff said.