Summers off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvega13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do optmetry students have summers off, or at least a few weeks off? The reason I ask is that I wanted to volunteer abroad after my first year, and I was wondering if this would be possible.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nvega13 said:
Do optmetry students have summers off, or at least a few weeks off? The reason I ask is that I wanted to volunteer abroad after my first year, and I was wondering if this would be possible.

Thanks

At UAB we have a summer quarter each year, as a result we only get about 3 weeks off the summer of the first year, and almost 6 weeks off the summer of the second year (though you'd probably use that to study for boards.) I think the whole summers off thing varies from school to school though.

at UHCO you get the first summer off and then you get six weeks off second summer (but like the above poster said, you use it to study for boards)

Members don't see this ad :)
At SUNY you get the summer b/w 1st and 2nd year off. There is an optional summer session where you get to take 2 classes from the 2nd year to lighten your course-load (which I highly recommend!), but even with taking that you still get 5 weeks off.

At Berkeley we also get our first summer off. r_salis, I like that optional 2 summer classes thing. We are trying to propose a way to lighten the 2nd year load ourselves (the 2nd years look frazzled :scared: ).

-p.dot