SUNY Additional Essay Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am applying to optometry schools this cycle and SUNY is my top choice. However, SUNY has some additional essays besides the personal statement.
One in particular is, "SUNY College of Optometry is a vibrant community of engaged student leaders, faculty, and staff members. Please describe how you intend to make strong contributions--and add value to--the SUNY College of Optometry community during your time as an OD student. Please give examples of how you made strong contributions to a particular community in the past."

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to make the response to this question a strong one. I haven't gone on any mission trips or anything, which is what I feel like this question is hinting at. I've only really done a lot of shadowing, which doesn't pertain to this question. However, I do babysit and tutor young children in my community; is this too weak of a response to this question though? I also participated in a volunteer program at a local hospital, but I was planning to write about that for the other "leadership" essay that SUNY is also requires, so I figured it was a bad idea to write about the same program in both essays.
I did a lot more service work in highschool, (breakfast runs in NYC to bring breakfast and clothing to the homeless; tutor peers); I assume that anything done in highschool is not applicable on the application though???

Sorry if this question is all over the place/not a normal question asked on here! I just don't really have any concrete ideas for it, so was wondering if anyone could offer some advice/examples as to what SUNY could be looking for in this question.
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This article gives some advice on answering the generic "what will you bring to the table" question. Favorite Personal Essay and Interview Question: “What Will You Bring to the Table?” Essentially, if you know what type of personality you have (from the MTBI personality test), then you can use it to show how your unique personality can add value. I haven't personally tried it since I just need the generic personal statement, but it could be useful for you.

You could talk about your volunteer program in two different essays if you cover two different aspects. For example, in the leadership essay, you could focus on your role as a leader and how you organized and got things done ("My team of five volunteers organized several health classes for the community" for example). And in the essay you're asking about, you can focus on the benefits that volunteering gave to others and your role in giving back to the community ("I helped 300 community members learn how to wash their hands" for example). It would be great if you have estimates on number of people you helped or specific projects you were tasked with completing, etc.

Mentioning your tutor experiences and babysitting could be helpful. Do you babysit for more than one or two families? What qualities do your families like in you as a babysitter? How did you market your babysitting skills to others? You could ask the same questions for your tutoring experience.

I wish you the best in your application to SUNY!