suny apts

Started by dj1013
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dj1013

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey,
does anyone know anything about the new SUNY apartments that they're currently building? i wonder if it'll be ready for the new freshmans.
 
Definately not! Dr. Johnston missed my interview because he was interviewing architect people for the dorms. I think the project is set for either 2007 or 2010, i don't remember exactly. Wishful thinking...until then, crazy NYC rent for all! 🙄
 
I was told they should be ready around 2009. Just FYI apts. run 1500 walking distance and 1000 a subway ride away. Those figures are for 400 sq. ft. or less studio apts.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bigred said:
I was told they should be ready around 2009. Just FYI apts. run 1500 walking distance and 1000 a subway ride away. Those figures around for 400 sq. ft. or less studio apts.
An apartment share will be ~$900-$1000/month. Roosevelt Island is a very short subway ride away, pretty cheap, and many SUNY students live there.

Also -- I thought the SUNY dorms were going to be ready for occupancy closer to 2007, the last I heard (and that was directly from the President of the college).
 
My parents bought a condo in the new luxury condominium in West Harlem www.striversgardens.com

I might need a roommate in a year or two if I make it to SUNY.
It might be cool to room up with another SUNY Opt student...

Can you guys tell me how much SUNY students rents are in NY?
 
r_salis said:
An apartment share will be ~$900-$1000/month. Roosevelt Island is a very short subway ride away, pretty cheap, and many SUNY students live there.



Good tip! I'd seen Roosevelt Island on a map, but I didn't know it was residential. Is there good availability there? I've heard that it's really hard to find a place in Queens along the 7.
 
Coney Eyeland said:
Good tip! I'd seen Roosevelt Island on a map, but I didn't know it was residential. Is there good availability there? I've heard that it's really hard to find a place in Queens along the 7.
The entire island is residential, and from what I understand it's easy to get a place there in a nice high-rise. There's a subway stop there that takes you to a stop right across from school (w/out any transfers), which is another plus.

I think the deal with Roosevelt Island is that it's less popular -- and therefore, cheaper -- than areas in Manhattan or even Queens because it's sort of isolated from things. There's a grocery store and a few restaurants, but to go anywhere interesting you have to take the subway or tram. It works out well for students because there is a small SUNY student community there.
 
if you thought it was hard getting into suny now wait til they have student housing. apps were up 30% this year. it will be up at least that high when that building opens up. i myself heard close to 2007 and that was also out of two very high profile docs at the college.