suny apts

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dj1013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,
does anyone know anything about the new SUNY apartments that they're currently building? i wonder if it'll be ready for the new freshmans.

Members don't see this ad.

Definately not! Dr. Johnston missed my interview because he was interviewing architect people for the dorms. I think the project is set for either 2007 or 2010, i don't remember exactly. Wishful thinking...until then, crazy NYC rent for all! :rolleyes:

I was told they should be ready around 2009. Just FYI apts. run 1500 walking distance and 1000 a subway ride away. Those figures are for 400 sq. ft. or less studio apts.

Members don't see this ad :)
bigred said:
I was told they should be ready around 2009. Just FYI apts. run 1500 walking distance and 1000 a subway ride away. Those figures around for 400 sq. ft. or less studio apts.
An apartment share will be ~$900-$1000/month. Roosevelt Island is a very short subway ride away, pretty cheap, and many SUNY students live there.

Also -- I thought the SUNY dorms were going to be ready for occupancy closer to 2007, the last I heard (and that was directly from the President of the college).

My parents bought a condo in the new luxury condominium in West Harlem www.striversgardens.com

I might need a roommate in a year or two if I make it to SUNY.
It might be cool to room up with another SUNY Opt student...

Can you guys tell me how much SUNY students rents are in NY?

r_salis said:
An apartment share will be ~$900-$1000/month. Roosevelt Island is a very short subway ride away, pretty cheap, and many SUNY students live there.

Good tip! I'd seen Roosevelt Island on a map, but I didn't know it was residential. Is there good availability there? I've heard that it's really hard to find a place in Queens along the 7.

Coney Eyeland said:
Good tip! I'd seen Roosevelt Island on a map, but I didn't know it was residential. Is there good availability there? I've heard that it's really hard to find a place in Queens along the 7.
The entire island is residential, and from what I understand it's easy to get a place there in a nice high-rise. There's a subway stop there that takes you to a stop right across from school (w/out any transfers), which is another plus.

I think the deal with Roosevelt Island is that it's less popular -- and therefore, cheaper -- than areas in Manhattan or even Queens because it's sort of isolated from things. There's a grocery store and a few restaurants, but to go anywhere interesting you have to take the subway or tram. It works out well for students because there is a small SUNY student community there.

if you thought it was hard getting into suny now wait til they have student housing. apps were up 30% this year. it will be up at least that high when that building opens up. i myself heard close to 2007 and that was also out of two very high profile docs at the college.