SUNY Binghamton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemistryNerd99

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a freshman in college at SUNY ESF (school in Syracuse, NY) and I am just not a fan of the school and I don't like being a commuter. So, I am considering transferring to SUNY Binghamton. Binghamton claims that it is a good premed school, but so does every school. So, how good is Binghamton really? Also, does transferring colleges look "bad" or is it not really a big deal?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the quality of your undergrad does not matter, and there is only marginal benefit if you went to a top school. just do well wherever you are

as for transferring looking bad, no it does not

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
I’m from somewhere else Upstate, so naturally I have to crap on other parts of Upstate NY to make myself feel better, all in an effort to rationalize living another year in this snowy dark pit that is the northeast.

Beaches and sunshine? No thanks, I want Wegmans and frostbite.

In all seriousness SUNY Bing is as fine a school as any, and OP would have no problems there. Just be careful of the credit transfer, try not to end up with an extra semester.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I’m from somewhere else Upstate, so naturally I have to crap on other parts of Upstate NY to make myself feel better, all in an effort to rationalize living another year in this snowy dark pit that is the northeast.

In all seriousness SUNY Bing is as fine a school as any, and OP would have no problems there. Just be careful of the credit transfer, try not to end up with an extra semester.

b-lo?

Reactions: 1 user

Oh god no, that’s even worse.

ImageUploadedBySDN1509568343.006432.jpg

I'm a SUNY Binghamton 2012 graduate! Let me know if you have any questions. :hello:

Binghamton is clearly the best city in New York State and it isn't particularly close.

And OP, not being a commuter will probably make you like college a lot more. I commuted to SUNY Bing from about 50mins away for and it was hell until I finally moved to Binghamton, did a lot better in classes too.

Also, from what I have seen/heard from experiences of others, SUNY Buffalo is a much better premed university because they have a medschool which makes it easier to get clinical experience/shadowing. I've heard their premed classes are much easier too. A friend of mine got deferred admission to Bing so he went to Buffalo for a semester and got a 4.0 before transferring to Bing. At Bing he got Cs in intro Bio/Chem so he transferred back to Buffalo after a semester where he has been a 4.0 student for 2 straight years. N=1 but something I would consider if I were you

Binghamton is clearly the best city in New York State and it isn't particularly close.

And OP, not being a commuter will probably make you like college a lot more. I commuted to SUNY Bing from about 50mins away for and it was hell until I finally moved to Binghamton, did a lot better in classes too.

Also, from what I have seen/heard from experiences of others, SUNY Buffalo is a much better premed university because they have a medschool which makes it easier to get clinical experience/shadowing. I've heard their premed classes are much easier too. A friend of mine got deferred admission to Bing so he went to Buffalo for a semester and got a 4.0 before transferring to Bing. At Bing he got Cs in intro Bio/Chem so he transferred back to Buffalo after a semester where he has been a 4.0 student for 2 straight years. N=1 but something I would consider if I were you
You have a valid point there about the whole medical school attached to the name. I didn’t apply to Buffalo for my undergrad because I heard weather horror stories from my dad about his law school days up there haha. Here’s what I’ll say about the tough pre-med classes here: at times they are evidently weed out classes, but there are a lot of resources to help you, including office hours and free tutoring.

I would also like to add that Binghamton has never tried to sugar coat the fact that these classes are indeed “weed out.” I spent a semester at Stony Brook before I came to Bing, and the Chem Prof there had the cajones to tell the 550+ student lecture that Intro Chem was not a weed out class.

Bing, Stony, and/or Buffalo will ALL get you into medical school (I would stick to these 3 SUNYs for pre-med meaning all three are probably preferable over ESF). I personally know many people from EACH of these universities who are attending/have been accepted to medical/dental school. In my opinion, where you decide to go depends on the setting you want. Buffalo is a bigger school, a lot of research opportunities, so on. Binghamton is (arguably) the highest ranked, has plenty of research opportunities, is the smallest of the three/has a smaller school "feel". Stony is pretty big, also has many research opportunities, is a "commuter school" (meaning there isn't much of a "campus vibe" as compared to Buffalo and Bing), close to NYC if you like the city.

Again, these schools will all get you into medical school IF you put in the necessary effort and ask for help when you need it. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't choose bing. Opportunities are very limited. Transfer to Buffalo or Stony Brook and you'll have a better time.
Bing is still probs better than suny esf so either way you'll be fine.

Also transferring will not look bad for you.
Bing (as well as Stony and Buffalo) has plenty of clinical opportunities. You don't need a medical school attached to have clinical opportunities.

Sure there could be clinical opportunities @ Bing, how many require a car to get to in a reasonable time? Oh that's right all of them.

and like I said, OP will be fine either way.
My friends who went to Bing commonly used the Bing U or public buses to get to and from the hospitals/clinical sites. Not to mention there are many clinical sites within walking distance from campus. Sure, a car helps, but that's true anywhere.

Sure there could be clinical opportunities @ Bing, how many require a car to get to in a reasonable time? Oh that's right all of them.

and like I said, OP will be fine either way.
Ahh I see we have completely sprung into the classic SUNY pre-med debate.

I'm not for or against any SUNY in particular. In my opinion, Bing/Stony/Buffalo are all equivalent for pre-med. It's all about where a pre-med (in this case, OP) will thrive academically, personally, and professionally. ALL of these schools has the resources available, it's 100% up the the student to take advantage.

My friends who went to Bing commonly used the Bing U or public buses to get to and from the hospitals/clinical sites. Not to mention there are many clinical sites within walking distance from campus. Sure, a car helps, but that's true anywhere.

I rescind.