SUNY Buffalo (Jacobs) vs. SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

on_the_run

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Trying to weigh my options between SUNY Buffalo and SUNY Syracuse. I recently interviewed for UB, so I'm not sure I'll get an outright acceptance, but I want to come close to making a decision so I can give up the seat at the other institution as soon as I know one way or the other.

Quite honestly, I don't have much of a pros and cons list because I didn't really expect to reach a point in my cycle where I'd get to choose between two schools. For context, I'll be starting from scratch pretty much either way (social life in another NE state and family too far away to make a consistent trip anyways), so that's not a factor for me. I'm IS, so tuition isn't an issue either. As far as specialty, I don't know what I'd want to do right now, but Anes, Derm, and Peds are all pretty interesting to me. The only thing I DO know, is that I'd ultimately like to do my residency in Boston.

UB
Pros:

- New facilities
- Earlier clinical exposure (but I'm not sure how much of an advantage this really is)

Cons:
- Haven't seen the city, so I don't know if its one I'd like

Upstate
Pros:

- More manageable commute to home, but still not one I'd make often
- Less cold?

Cons:
- Did not really love Syracuse as a city when I visited, it seemed kind of down and depressing

If anyone could shed some light on the +/- of each school and/or your opinion of which you'd go with, I'd appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Upstate less cold? No, but more snow.

i dont know specifics about these schools but that SUNY Buffalo is reputable and a good school

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say Buffalo. Buffalo has a really good reputation and I think you will find great clinical experience and research there. They also do a lot of community outreach.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all. Trying to weigh my options between SUNY Buffalo and SUNY Syracuse. I recently interviewed for UB, so I'm not sure I'll get an outright acceptance, but I want to come close to making a decision so I can give up the seat at the other institution as soon as I know one way or the other.

Quite honestly, I don't have much of a pros and cons list because I didn't really expect to reach a point in my cycle where I'd get to choose between two schools. For context, I'll be starting from scratch pretty much either way (social life in another NE state and family too far away to make a consistent trip anyways), so that's not a factor for me. I'm IS, so tuition isn't an issue either. As far as specialty, I don't know what I'd want to do right now, but Anes, Derm, and Peds are all pretty interesting to me. The only thing I DO know, is that I'd ultimately like to do my residency in Boston.

UB
Pros:

- New facilities
- Earlier clinical exposure (but I'm not sure how much of an advantage this really is)

Cons:
- Haven't seen the city, so I don't know if its one I'd like

Upstate
Pros:

- More manageable commute to home, but still not one I'd make often
- Less cold?

Cons:
- Did not really love Syracuse as a city when I visited, it seemed kind of down and depressing

If anyone could shed some light on the +/- of each school and/or your opinion of which you'd go with, I'd appreciate it!
I am also making the same exact debate. such a hard decission

From personal experience, you will not notice much of a difference in the winter. Both are cold. Both get lots of snow. Syracuse is not a very sunny place if that is something you value!

Reactions: 1 user