SUNY Buffalo...ugh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBoy90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So someone in another thread mentioned going to SUNY Buffalo being a better decision than going to LIU Brooklyn. I did some more research, and it seems like a better idea for me.

However, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if the classes I've taken will transfer over to their school properly. I have credits from Touro College, CW Post (Long Island University), and Suffolk Community College. I'm nowhere near being done with my pre-reqs yet, but I want to make sure all the money I've spent is going to go to waste.

Their online TAURUS system is really crappy, and they said they don't evaluate transcripts. I'm so lost...

Members don't see this ad.

So someone in another thread mentioned going to SUNY Buffalo being a better decision than going to LIU Brooklyn. I did some more research, and it seems like a better idea for me.

However, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if the classes I've taken will transfer over to their school properly. I have credits from Touro College, CW Post (Long Island University), and Suffolk Community College. I'm nowhere near being done with my pre-reqs yet, but I want to make sure all the money I've spent is going to go to waste.

Their online TAURUS system is really crappy, and they said they don't evaluate transcripts. I'm so lost...

Why transfer at all? Just finish your prereqs where you are and then apply to UB SoPPS when you are ready to start pharmacy school.

I did all of my prereqs at PSU and got into UB with any issue. Transferring is always messy so just finish prereqs and apply directly to pharm school.

Why transfer at all? Just finish your prereqs where you are and then apply to UB SoPPS when you are ready to start pharmacy school.

I did all of my prereqs at PSU and got into UB with any issue. Transferring is always messy so just finish prereqs and apply directly to pharm school.

I want to finish my pre-reqs at my current school, I'm just worried that I'm going to do all of the work, and then some of the classes won't transfer over.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to finish my pre-reqs at my current school, I'm just worried that I'm going to do all of the work, and then some of the classes won't transfer over.

I think you don't understand how applying to pharmacy school works. You don't "transfer credits" to SUNY-UB, you just finish your prereqs and then you are either accepted or rejected. The prereqs should pretty much be the same no matter where you take them (bio 1+2, chem 1+2, biochem, physiology, Ochem, etc.)

There would be no issue of transferring credits if you stay where you are and apply directly to the SoPPS. The only issue you could possibly have is your classes not meeting the prereq requirements. If you have a specific question about a prereq and whether or not your class will count, call UB.

I think you don't understand how applying to pharmacy school works. You don't "transfer credits" to SUNY-UB, you just finish your prereqs and then you are either accepted or rejected. The prereqs should pretty much be the same no matter where you take them (bio 1+2, chem 1+2, biochem, physiology, Ochem, etc.)

There would be no issue of transferring credits if you stay where you are and apply directly to the SoPPS. The only issue you could possibly have is your classes not meeting the prereq requirements. If you have a specific question about a prereq and whether or not your class will count, call UB.

I think he understands how it works out but he is just using the wrong phrase to describe it. Many people think we are transferring to pharmacy school and that's why they use the term "transfer credits over." We don't transfer to pharmacy school just like we don't transfer to a graduate program. We just apply for it.

To the OP, just email them or call them like I told you in the pm and see how it goes.

Yeah, I guess I didn't mean "Transfer" but I meant that I was worried about my classes not counting toward the prereqs they require. I guess I'll have to contact the school directly to find out, even though they haven't been giving me straight answers.

Yeah, I guess I didn't mean "Transfer" but I meant that I was worried about my classes not counting toward the prereqs they require. I guess I'll have to contact the school directly to find out, even though they haven't been giving me straight answers.

If no one gives you direct answers, let me know and I can give you the dean's email. She looked over my transcript to see what i'm missing and what I have fulfilled. Imagine, a dean is willing to go over this with you instead of guiding you to the admissions office.

I'm not sure you should call Dr Wayne Anderson a she though when you e-mail him since he's the dean and everything. I'm sure Cindy K will look it over for you, she's been doing it for years.

Although she's not a faculty member she is the assistant dean of recruitment, which sounds fancy.

When I was a sophomore, I was told I wouldn't get into pharm school with my 3.4 at UB (via Cindy). This was in the fall. That semester I took calc orgo physics and psych stats, got a 4.0., and had a 3.8 overall from then on. Go to her after receiving my letter for deans list, and of course she says "oh you should've applied." Although they are "nice", they can also be terrible at advising sometimes. I might be better off now, but I was lost back then and when I was pre-pharm it was sure a big blow to me. Obviously it's my fault, and I know that now. I am not an advisor, but if you are desperate to hear the best advice, listen to your friends, and peers. Do not rely on what they say. I also did not have the money to spend on an application that I was told would get denied, because of personal issues that year. If you have the money, and you're borderline acceptable then don't second guess.