SUNY Buffalo vs. NYMC vs. NYITCOM (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4everBarça

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was accepted to NYITCOM, SUNY Buffalo, and NYMC, and I am having a hard time deciding on what school to attend. I listed some of the pros/cons that I've been considering and would appreciate any feedback/opinions you may have. Also, if there are any current students (from any of the schools) who can share their personal experiences, that'd be great too. Thank you!

NYITCOM:
Live 30 minutes away so wouldn't need to dorm.
Diverse clinical sites. Great match list.
Well established but it's a DO school.
High attrition rate.
Tuition is expensive.

SUNY Buffalo:
Tuition is significantly cheaper as I am in-state.
Seemed like a friendly environment.
Research focused. Better ranked than the others?
Distant from family (can only go home on extended breaks).
Rotations would be based in Buffalo - skeptical about location.

NYMC:
Good board preparation. (No info about the other schools.)
Clinical opportunities are great. Rotations at urban (i.e. NYC) or suburban (i.e. Westchester) settings.
Would need to dorm, but can still visit family frequently.
Extremely expensive tuition.
Touro "black cloud"?

Feel free to share your thoughts. Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Nice username :)

I would go with SUNY, if you feel you could tolerate Buffalo. It's MD and cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are supporting 7 kids and have a legitimate reason why moving to another part of the same state would be a significant burden, I don't know why you'd consider NYITCOM. And even then, it'd be cheaper to raise your 7 kids in Buffalo/the burbs, so I still think moving would be the wiser choice.

Buffalo is a really cool city and many people would prefer it to the suburbs or NYC. Even if that's not you, I think the significant price difference, and great research and clinical opportunities make Buff the better option here. You can always do away rotations in NYC if you're aiming to match back there or just want a change of pace.

Cost is a big factor, but Buffalo is not the most desirable location to many people. NYIT should be off your list but after that it's up to you to decide between location vs cost. Westchester weather is a heck of a lot nicer than Buffalo, but really you'll be well prepared at either school to go forward. If the tuition difference is worth it, take UB. If location is more important, go with NYMC, imho.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
A BIG thank you for taking the time to respond and offer your opinions! I guess I'm just having a hard time deciding between cost and location. Buffalo wins cost-wise. NYMC wins location-wise (they did offer me a scholarship but it's still not enough to match state tuition). I don't know...

A BIG thank you for taking the time to respond and offer your opinions! I guess I'm just having a hard time deciding between cost and location. Buffalo wins cost-wise. NYMC wins location-wise (they did offer me a scholarship but it's still not enough to match state tuition). I don't know...

What's the price difference?

What's the price difference?
Tuition Alone:
Buffalo = $42,168
NYMC = $52,200 (-7000 scholarship) = $45,200

Total Cost of Attendance; including on-campus housing, transportation, personal, books/supplies:
Buffalo = $66,216
NYMC = $70,600 (after the scholarship)

I guess the difference is not THAT bad, but I ultimately want to do what is best for my education.

Btw, thanks for the username shoutout. Big FC Barcelona fan here! :happy:

Tuition Alone:
Buffalo = $42,168
NYMC = $52,200 (-7000 scholarship) = $45,200

Total Cost of Attendance; including on-campus housing, transportation, personal, books/supplies:
Buffalo = $66,216
NYMC = $70,600 (after the scholarship)

I guess the difference is not THAT bad, but I ultimately want to do what is best for my education.

Btw, thanks for the username shoutout. Big FC Barcelona fan here! :happy:

Oh, I would say that price difference is pretty negligible. I don't think the ranking difference is really that significant so I would take cost out of the equation and go with your gut on this one.

Same here! :) I'm going to the final match of the season at Camp Nou in a few weeks! Hopefully we're still in the title race at that point!

Oh, I would say that price difference is pretty negligible. I don't think the ranking difference is really that significant so I would take cost out of the equation and go with your gut on this one.

Same here! :) I'm going to the final match of the season at Camp Nou in a few weeks! Hopefully we're still in the title race at that point!
True. The difference would be about $7,000/year considering Buffalo's off-campus housing is cheaper.

THAT IS AWESOME! We've been having a tough season, but my confidence was restored once we beat Real Madrid. lol.

True. The difference would be about $7,000/year considering Buffalo's off-campus housing is cheaper.

THAT IS AWESOME! We've been having a tough season, but my confidence was restored once we beat Real Madrid. lol.

Yeah, to me 7k per year is a drop in the bucket compared to how much you'll already be paying. I think it's pretty safe to disregard finances at this point, but only you can know if you feel comfortable taking on a little more debt.

That Clasico was amazing!! Now we just have to hope for Real to drop points :xf:

It's really more of a question of SUNY vs NYMC because you would be silly to choose a DO school over these two options. Both are arguably equivalent schools but I'd probably choose SUNY only because of the financial aspect.