SUNY Buffalo Waiting List!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ms MD said:
Congrats, P0310!! That's wonderful! :)
Just out of curiosity, when did you interview at UB? Are u a Buffalo resident? And were you surprised to get in off the waiting list?

I interviewed in august. I am a buffalo resident. I attended UB undergrad.
I was very surprised. I had given up all hope to get in at all. This was my second year of application and UB is the only acceptance I got. I am very excited!! I guess my LOIs worked. I sent in a bunch of them.

Members don't see this ad.

I just called.. They are in the lower third, but he is not allowed to tell me what section of the lower third they are in.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone posting! I got a call today with the good news and was so excited to accept a position in the 2010 class! I have been silently reading your forum to get information on the waitlist and it's been very encouraging. Good luck to all those waiting!!!!! I was in the bottom third of the waitlist-didn't find out more specifics than that. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Afumigatus said:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone posting! I got a call today with the good news and was so excited to accept a position in the 2010 class! I have been silently reading your forum to get information on the waitlist and it's been very encouraging. Good luck to all those waiting!!!!! I was in the bottom third of the waitlist-didn't find out more specifics than that. Thanks!

congratulations!! :) i really hope the rest of us who are waiting hear soon. best of luck everyone! adn thanks for the info styphon.

First off congratz to those who got in so far and gl to those still waiting. I'm gonna apply to UB this cycle and my stats are on the edge. Would any of you who have gotten in off the waitlist mind posting your GPA's and MCAT scores to give the future applicants an idea of what's going on?

Thanks and gl again

theun4given said:
First off congratz to those who got in so far and gl to those still waiting. I'm gonna apply to UB this cycle and my stats are on the edge. Would any of you who have gotten in off the waitlist mind posting your GPA's and MCAT scores to give the future applicants an idea of what's going on?

Thanks and gl again

Went to Cornell U.
MCAT: 10,10,11
GPA: BCPM: 3.55, AO: 3.73, Total: 3.61
3 years of research, over 1500 hours as an EMT-Basic

I give really horrible interviews :(

Congrats to those accepted!

Those who recieved their acceptance packages, did you have a letter in there with a person number or did your recieve your person number in a later letter after you sent back the the papers from the acceptance package?
I am very confused and the ub card and admissions office are not giving me any clear anwsers, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Went to NYU
MCAT: 10,11,9
GPA: BCPM: 3.33, AO: 3.55, Total: 3.43

Got the call this morning, see you in the fall, no wait summer. Damn august classes! :D

I'm getting kind of worried now about Buffalo.

alex718 said:
Congrats to those accepted!

Those who recieved their acceptance packages, did you have a letter in there with a person number or did your recieve your person number in a later letter after you sent back the the papers from the acceptance package?
I am very confused and the ub card and admissions office are not giving me any clear anwsers, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Congrats! The 2nd years are all looking forward to meeting our new classmates :)
Don't worry about that, just send back the papers. When you come to Buffalo to get an apartment (or when you start school) you'll go get a UB ID card, and your person # is on that. I'm pretty sure that they don't generate a number for you until you do that. FYI, you must register for classes using the phone system at least 24 hours before they'll give you an ID card. There's probably instructions in your packet (or forthcoming). Also, you need that number to get a parking pass (and forever after that, you might as well memorize it now), so it's in your interest to get it as soon as possible.
Oh, and despite threats otherwise by the school, plenty of people waited until school started to get that stuff taken care of, they just had to wait on long lines.

You know what upsets me, besides being on the bottom of a waitlist, desperately waiting each day for a phone call???

The fact that I have worked *2* years FOR Buffalo Medical school, dept of Allergy and Immunology.. Better yet, if I don't get in 2006, my new job will be for(wait for it), Buffalo Medical School, Dept of infectious disease.. At least with that job, one of my bosses is on the MD/PhD admissions committee..

styphon said:
You know what upsets me, besides being on the bottom of a waitlist, desperately waiting each day for a phone call???

The fact that I have worked *2* years FOR Buffalo Medical school

if it makes you feel any better, that's exactly my story at my own state school...........it's frustrating and makes me angry at the same time, because all this while i felt like i was part of the family, since i've been there so long.....and now all of a sudden i feel jipped.

Members don't see this ad :)
out of curiosity, does anyone know about how long the bottom third is? i would think it's not that long, because if someone were to find out that he/she is in the bottom third, they would probably have made alternate plans thinking that they wouldn't get in......unless they haven't gotten anywhere else........but i'm not sure about my theory, because i think they've been on the bottom third all of this week, and i still have not gotten a phonecall......so maybe it's quite long? anyone have any input?

persianrug said:
out of curiosity, does anyone know about how long the bottom third is? i would think it's not that long, because if someone were to find out that he/she is in the bottom third, they would probably have made alternate plans thinking that they wouldn't get in......unless they haven't gotten anywhere else........but i'm not sure about my theory, because i think they've been on the bottom third all of this week, and i still have not gotten a phonecall......so maybe it's quite long? anyone have any input?

I think the w/l is divided into equal thirds. Alternately, the botton third could be huge. They may just throw the majority of the people in there instead of rejecting them outright. I called earlier this week and was told that the list is moving "unusually slow". I wouldn't go anywhere without a rabbit's foot and a cell phone, though. Never know when a spot might open up.

does buffalo do a composite score or does it just take your best individual mcat?

MD_hopeful said:
I think the w/l is divided into equal thirds. Alternately, the botton third could be huge. They may just throw the majority of the people in there instead of rejecting them outright. I called earlier this week and was told that the list is moving "unusually slow". I wouldn't go anywhere without a rabbit's foot and a cell phone, though. Never know when a spot might open up.

Even if it's moving unusually slow, the wait list is already deeper than where it ended last year -- in the middle 2/3.

I think that last year it ended in the bottom 1/3rd.

I got accepted!!!!!!

I was at the bottom of the waitlist, didn't think I was getting in.. Already sent in my Primary and some secondaries for 2007..

styphon said:
I got accepted!!!!!!

I was at the bottom of the waitlist, didn't think I was getting in.. Already sent in my Primary and some secondaries for 2007..
Congrats, styphon.

Too bad you can't get a refund on those apps though. Oh well, a $1000 loss really doesn't mean much now that you're going to be $100,000 in debt. :D

styphon said:
I got accepted!!!!!!

congratulations!!! :)

styphon said:
I got accepted!!!!!!

YEAH!!!!! We are stayin' in Buffalo!! :D

ohhhh i hope the list is still moving........i feel that i'm the only one left waiting out here........come on buffalo!!!

persianrug said:
ohhhh i hope the list is still moving........i feel that i'm the only one left waiting out here........come on buffalo!!!

You're not the only one. I'm in the same boat as you man. Lets try to stay optimistic here.

MD_hopeful said:
You're not the only one. I'm in the same boat as you man. Lets try to stay optimistic here.

i'm glad that i'm not alone in this undesirable situation.......good luck to both of us!!!

for those still waiting, (as am I)...make sure u call them and update ur phone numbers...I could kick myself as I only sent them a letter and never called them to update it, and I'm pretty sure they called my old phone number...

Good luck anyways...

Hammy786 said:
for those still waiting, (as am I)...make sure u call them and update ur phone numbers...I could kick myself as I only sent them a letter and never called them to update it, and I'm pretty sure they called my old phone number...

Good luck anyways...

uh oh...so does that mean you lost your spot???

dunno how that works...maybe they go through the list from the top again?

Did you check your status at the online page on UB's website? mine said "accepted" even before I made the call to accept the seat (Someone answered the phone for me and I received the message later in the evening).
If they called you and missed you, the status should have changed.
Good Luck!! :thumbup:

P0310 said:
Did you check your status at the online page on UB's website? mine said "accepted" even before I made the call to accept the seat (Someone answered the phone for me and I received the message later in the evening).
If they called you and missed you, the status should have changed.
Good Luck!! :thumbup:

i just checked my status and it said "no" for everything (including secondary fee submitted and application completed). and finally, under status, it said "alternate list" this is odd, because last when i checked, it said that i was "waiting list/lettered" except the page today showed that it was updated back in april. but i've definitely checked after april and it said "waiting list/lettered". strange.

same here with the website...everything is No, but still says waitlist in status

my status is messed up too. it is showing accepted, but it is showing that i didn't pay the application fees or the tuition deposit. I think there is a glich in the system. they should work it out soon i hope.

so i just called the admissions office to find out about the online status, and mr. rosso told me that their online status check won't read '06 applicants anymore, because they're switching that to the '07 cycle. so if you have any questions about your status, then it would be better to call them.

he also told me that there hasn't been any movement, and things are going unusually slow. <<please please please, people, withdraw :( >>

persianrug said:
so i just called the admissions office to find out about the online status, and mr. rosso told me that their online status check won't read '06 applicants anymore, because they're switching that to the '07 cycle. so if you have any questions about your status, then it would be better to call them.

he also told me that there hasn't been any movement, and things are going unusually slow. <<please please please, people, withdraw :( >>

I called to and was told the same thing about things moving unusually slow. Why do you guys think he says it's unusual? I would think that with classes starting in the next two weeks there wouldn't be that much movement.

MD_hopeful said:
I called to and was told the same thing about things moving unusually slow. Why do you guys think he says it's unusual? I would think that with classes starting in the next two weeks there wouldn't be that much movement.

i was thinking the same thing, but then i remembered once i called to try to find out how good my chances were, and he said that sometimes they go through the whole waitlist, so if you think about it that way, then it is unusual.

i just hope that there is enough movement to accomodate us, because it would suck for us, that they get so deep into the list, only to stop now.

persianrug said:
i was thinking the same thing, but then i remembered once i called to try to find out how good my chances were, and he said that sometimes they go through the whole waitlist, so if you think about it that way, then it is unusual.

i just hope that there is enough movement to accomodate us, because it would suck for us, that they get so deep into the list, only to stop now.

I know what you mean man. I just wish buffalo didn't start so early. That way there would be more time for spaces to open up. Lets hope for the best, though. Keep your head up.

MD_hopeful said:
I know what you mean man. I just wish buffalo didn't start so early. That way there would be more time for spaces to open up. Lets hope for the best, though. Keep your head up.

from the forum at least, it seems that there are just a few of us waiting (i think i counted three, if i'm not missing anyone)........i would think if there are other ppl as desperate as we are to go to ub, and to keep their spots so far down teh waitlist, they'd be posting too, right? i wonder if it's safe to assume that there are not that many of us left.....which brings me to say that we're just waiting for those few withdrawals to accomodate us- so close.

another question, for those of you who have been accepted (if you still visit this page), is there a time around when to expect a call (am, pm, or anywhere in between??) i know at other schools, they usually call in the morning.

call for me came around noon

persianrug said:
another question, for those of you who have been accepted (if you still visit this page), is there a time around when to expect a call (am, pm, or anywhere in between??) i know at other schools, they usually call in the morning.
I got the call around 2:30pm. :luck:

mdage said:
I got the call around 2:30pm. :luck:
I read in previous years they call during business hours, but maybe it's different every year. Also, I've now met four students (and one physician) who got into Buffalo up through the first week of classes.

girlsporty said:
I read in previous years they call during business hours, but maybe it's different every year. Also, I've now met four students (and one physician) who got into Buffalo up through the first week of classes.

by "up through the first week of class" do you mean even post-orientation? because i know at other schools, the first day of orientation is considered the first day of class, after which the waitlist is closed.

persianrug said:
by "up through the first week of class" do you mean even post-orientation? because i know at other schools, the first day of orientation is considered the first day of class, after which the waitlist is closed.
There's always a few (2 last year) who get the call after orientation starts...I think once classes begin, though (Thursday, I believe), then you're out of luck.
Best of luck everyone still waiting :luck:

Supercluster said:
There's always a few (2 last year) who get the call after orientation starts...I think once classes begin, though (Thursday, I believe), then you're out of luck.
Yup, I don't know for sure. I was told by students in previous years "the first week of class" so I guess you can take that for what it's worth. Just wanted to share a little optimism!

girlsporty said:
Yup, I don't know for sure. I was told by students in previous years "the first week of class" so I guess you can take that for what it's worth. Just wanted to share a little optimism!

I know that UB has taken ppl up until orientation. I think that's what they mean about 1st week of school. Good luck ppl :thumbup:

Supercluster said:
Yup, "Medicine and Society" starts Thursday.
I really have no idea what we're going to be doing fromm 8 to noon Monday- Wednesday...nothing that couldn't be taken care of in an afternoon or 2 I'm sure...a few "bonding" activities perhaps...you will miss the BBQs though :p
My cousin (who is currently a 4th year) got off the Wait List days befoe orientation started, so who knows...

i know it's getting late, but does anyone have any news from the admissions office?

Yeah Mon-Wed is mostly just introducing you to the system and doing bonding activities. And BBQs and heavy drinking. That's pretty much it. Good luck to everyone still waiting for the call!