Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY downstate admissions OT FALL 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asn1993

Reaction score
Hey all tryna make a thread for the fall 2019 SUNY downstate OT admission!!! a way to keep updated with the admission process.. hopefully all goes well for everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
did anyone get invited for interview yet?

Hi, I got an interview and I know like 3 other girls from my school got one too.
Anyone got any acceptances yet? Or is it way too early..?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I got an interview and I know like 3 other girls from my school got one too.

Hey, I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and the interviewer said that they generally get back to you between 30-45 days from the date of the interview. Hope that helps!

Hey, I interviewed a couple of weeks ago and the interviewer said that they generally get back to you between 30-45 days from the date of the interview. Hope that helps!

Yup, I just got my acceptance today about a month after my interview!

Yup, I just got my acceptance today about a month after my interview!
Am I suppsed to start thinking that my chances for an interview are narrow? If other applicants are receiving acceptance response, not sure what to think.

Care to share some sepecifics you were asked during the interview ? How did the process go ?

Congratulations to you too! Yes I already accepted, how about you?
Hi, this may potentially be a dumb question, but when you are confirming your interview date- did you get an email reply back as a final confirmation for the interview?

Congratulations to you too! Yes I already accepted, how about you?

I'm just waiting to hear back from one other program before I make my decision, but I'll most likely be accepting the offer from Downstate as well!

I haven't yet, but they were waiting for some of my pre-reqs. I did get notified that it's been forwarded to the admission committee though, so fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I suppsed to start thinking that my chances for an interview are narrow? If other applicants are receiving acceptance response, not sure what to think.
I definitely wouldn't think that. They do interviews through February as well. I think mid-January is actually pretty normal, especially for those of us who had to submit pre-req grades. Keep on breathing :)

Hey there :) About how long after you were notified that it was being reviewed did you receive an interview invitation?

People are receiving acceptences all the way up to March. Chances are narrow for acceptances, but if your credentials are decent then you should be fine in terms of getting an interview. Also, the later you applied the later you will get invited for an interview.

Hi, this may potentially be a dumb question, but when you are confirming your interview date- did you get an email reply back as a final confirmation for the interview?

When I got the invitation, I confirmed that it’s a good meeting time for me and didn’t receive any other emails after that, just came for the interview at the given time and that’s about it. Don’t forget to print out the letter and bring a passport picture of yourself!

Hey there :) About how long after you were notified that it was being reviewed did you receive an interview invitation?

I got my interview invitation a little less than a month after I applied, and a month after my interview I got an answer. The thing happened to another person I know.

When I got the invitation, I confirmed that it’s a good meeting time for me and didn’t receive any other emails after that, just came for the interview at the given time and that’s about it. Don’t forget to print out the letter and bring a passport picture of yourself!

Thank you very much for answering! I had to reschedule the interview date, so in reply I was given another date and time, but the admissions coordinator wrote back that I should email back with my name along with the confirmed date and time. I replied back with the information needed, but then I thought maybe I should've created a new email to them along with the information, instead of just replying. Seeing that I didn't get a reply back also had me worried.
But hearing that you also didn't get a reply back in confirmation relaxes me a bit to know everything is alright!
And of course, I'll remember! :) My interview would be next Sunday hopefully.

Hello. just found this thread. I interviewed on December 15 and I was informed that I am on the alternate list on January 7. I am already accepted at another program but just waiting to hear back from Downstate to make final decision.

Hi guys, I just found this thread as well! I was told by the program that official transcripts don't need to be submitted until upon acceptance- is this true?

So I still haven’t heard back any response whatsoever. Do I keep my hopes high? Do I initiate plan B..?

Any of you people out here that have submitted their application mid October have heard back anything yet?
Please let me know so I can know where I’m standing.

Thanks!

Hi guys, I just found this thread as well! I was told by the program that official transcripts don't need to be submitted until upon acceptance- is this true?
I sent all my official transcripts during initial application process. But the website says that you can use unofficial.

I sent all my official transcripts during initial application process. But the website says that you can use unofficial.
Thank you! I did send in unofficial transcripts which I thought was strange while other OT programs require official ones sent directly from our previous schools.

I had my interview in November- I haven't heard back so I emailed for updates, but they continue to tell me my application is still under review. So unfortunately I still have no idea where I stand. Still keeping my hopes up- good luck to everyone!

So I still haven’t heard back any response whatsoever. Do I keep my hopes high? Do I initiate plan B..?

Any of you people out here that have submitted their application mid October have heard back anything yet?

Thanks!

I applied in September and I have not heard back either. I have offers from NYU and NYIT so I'm thinking of just cutting my losses lol

I applied in the beginning of November and have not heard anything either... According to previous years threads they had another wave of interview invitations at the end of February so hopefully that will be coming soon!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys... I got my acceptance like 3 days ago.. really EXCITED. congrats to everyone else as well!!!!

Hi guys... I got my acceptance like 3 days ago.. really EXCITED. congrats to everyone else as well!!!!
Hey, If you don't mind, I have a question to ask you. please PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks!
Same with me...

I got accepted about 3 weeks after my interview in Jan... Congrats to everyone who got accepted! And for those who are waiting, good luck!

Guess what? I just got accepted. I had to read the letter 3 times to make sure. Beyond excited :))))

Has anyone else not heard anything? According to previous years they invited people for more interviews at the end of february and into march so ive been waiting for that but still nothing...

Has anyone else not heard anything? According to previous years they invited people for more interviews at the end of february and into march so ive been waiting for that but still nothing...
yea they have accepted and interviewed people late.. not everyone on the acceptance late is gonna attend.. so their might be a last minute miracle
....good luck!!!

I haven’t heard back from them besides that my application is still under review and that the class hasn’t been filled yet.

What about you guys? Anyone else here applied and hadn’t heard back from them yet?

yea they have accepted and interviewed people late.. not everyone on the acceptance late is gonna attend.. so their might be a last minute miracle
....good luck!!!
We’re hoping for the best outcome!

I also got interviewed back in January, on the 20th, and still no response on my end. Hopefully I'll know what's going on soon...all of this waiting is so nerve wracking lol

Hi everyone,

I just received and interview invitation to SUNY Downstate (3/5). My interview date is 3/19. Im so nervous. Is anyone who has had one already willing to share how it went? Thank you in advice!

This is my third time applying and Im hoping this may be it.

Hi everyone,

I just received and interview invitation to SUNY Downstate (3/5). My interview date is 3/19. Im so nervous. Is anyone who has had one already willing to share how it went? Thank you in advice!

Wow good for you! Good luck & Keep us posted.

Hi! For those who are going to SUNY DS, are there any facebook groups? should we create one? If so, please PM me to create a group on FB together. :)

Best of luck to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I was first asked to read an article and answer some questions based on it. Then the interview process was pretty straight forward. I was asked why I was interested in OT, about my volunteer experiences, how I handle stress, my organizational skills for balancing school and life, stuff like that. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm a 1st year Downstate OT student. I remember reading through these forums voraciously last year when I was applying hoping for the best, and was really happy when a 1st year student last year chimed in to talk. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask here, and I'll try to get back to you. Congrats to those that got it!!!! Good luck to those still waiting; they're still interviewing people, and some of the students in my year got in at the last second (or after being put on a waiting list), so it can still happen!!! Good luck to you guys, and I'm sending out positive vibes and love.

Hey guys, I'm a 1st year Downstate OT student. I remember reading through these forums voraciously last year when I was applying hoping for the best, and was really happy when a 1st year student last year chimed in to talk. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask here, and I'll try to get back to you. Congrats to those that got it!!!! Good luck to those still waiting; they're still interviewing people, and some of the students in my year got in at the last second (or after being put on a waiting list), so it can still happen!!! Good luck to you guys, and I'm sending out positive vibes and love.

Hi there! Thank you very much for such a thoughtful and kind message to us. Congratulations on your success thus far! I, too, have read through these forums intensely during the entire process and I am deeply grateful for being accepted into the program! I'm currently making sure all my paperwork gets done in time. I wanted to know what your schedule looked like during the summer semester with gross anatomy and foundations? I'd love to get a head start on how to be successful in the gross anatomy class since I hear it's intense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you soon. :)

Hi there! Thank you very much for such a thoughtful and kind message to us. Congratulations on your success thus far! I, too, have read through these forums intensely during the entire process and I am deeply grateful for being accepted into the program! I'm currently making sure all my paperwork gets done in time. I wanted to know what your schedule looked like during the summer semester with gross anatomy and foundations? I'd love to get a head start on how to be successful in the gross anatomy class since I hear it's intense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you soon. :)
Hey, hope everything's going well :). So for my year, the schedule was rather hectic, because the person teaching us was still in medical school (LOL). Amazing teacher tho. Because his schedule was a bit unpredictable, ours would literally change every week, so there was no real consistency. For the most part we normally had 1 day off at some point between mon-fri. There's technically "2" classes that you have, but Gross Anatomy is really like 3 classes: lecture, cadaver lab, and palpation (where you have to feel a large variety of bones/muscles/body landmarks) on your classmates. (if you don't like being touched, this might be a weird experience LOL). So in a typical week we'd have 1 day where we had just Foundations class (which is easy), one day where we had lecture + palpation (maybe a 4 hour day), and 2 days where we'd have lecture and lab (also about 4-5 hours).

It's tough, but definitely doable! Especially since you're going to have a lot of time that semester to study. It's a lot of material, but the cadaver lab, as scary as it might sound, is really a miraculous way to learn, and by the end of the semester you're gonna feel really accomplished about how much you know.

To prepare, STUDY the names of all the muscles you learned as an undergrad. I didn't do that, and the beginning part of the semester was STRESS!!!!!!full! A lot of that was my fault though, and not everyone found it as difficult as I did. If you at least know the names of the muscle and where they are, everything else will fall into place, and you'll be able to learn at a steady pace. You might also want to review the names of the bones, and the boney landmarks (including the parts of the vertebrae). The first test is the most difficult, and then after that everything gets easier.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, hope everything's going well :). So for my year, the schedule was rather hectic, because the person teaching us was still in medical school (LOL). Amazing teacher tho. Because his schedule was a bit unpredictable, ours would literally change every week, so there was no real consistency. For the most part we normally had 1 day off at some point between mon-fri. There's technically "2" classes that you have, but Gross Anatomy is really like 3 classes: lecture, cadaver lab, and palpation (where you have to feel a large variety of bones/muscles/body landmarks) on your classmates. (if you don't like being touched, this might be a weird experience LOL). So in a typical week we'd have 1 day where we had just Foundations class (which is easy), one day where we had lecture + palpation (maybe a 4 hour day), and 2 days where we'd have lecture and lab (also about 4-5 hours).

It's tough, but definitely doable! Especially since you're going to have a lot of time that semester to study. It's a lot of material, but the cadaver lab, as scary as it might sound, is really a miraculous way to learn, and by the end of the semester you're gonna feel really accomplished about how much you know.

To prepare, STUDY the names of all the muscles you learned as an undergrad. I didn't do that, and the beginning part of the semester was STRESS!!!!!!full! A lot of that was my fault though, and not everyone found it as difficult as I did. If you at least know the names of the muscle and where they are, everything else will fall into place, and you'll be able to learn at a steady pace. You might also want to review the names of the bones, and the boney landmarks (including the parts of the vertebrae). The first test is the most difficult, and then after that everything gets easier.

Hi there! WOW! Thank you so much for your feedback and experience I’m truly excited!!! I remember talking to 3 individuals during an info session and two of them had full time jobs, went to the OT program full time, married and had children. They were the “rare” cases as they say but said though it was extremely stressful and crazy - it was do-able and worth it. I’ll definitely take that into consideration and start reviewing the muscles, bones and landmarks! What made the first exam difficult? Was it due to the amount of content covered? Ahh I have butterflies thinking about the first day of class (but at this moment, I am hoping my spelunker checklist clears in time!)

Do you recall what the hours were like for gross anatomy and foundations?

Thank you so much again! You have been so wonderful.

Hi there! WOW! Thank you so much for your feedback and experience I’m truly excited!!! I remember talking to 3 individuals during an info session and two of them had full time jobs, went to the OT program full time, married and had children. They were the “rare” cases as they say but said though it was extremely stressful and crazy - it was do-able and worth it. I’ll definitely take that into consideration and start reviewing the muscles, bones and landmarks! What made the first exam difficult? Was it due to the amount of content covered? Ahh I have butterflies thinking about the first day of class (but at this moment, I am hoping my spelunker checklist clears in time!)

Do you recall what the hours were like for gross anatomy and foundations?

Thank you so much again! You have been so wonderful.

Oh! Let me be more clear re: the hours question; meaning, do you recall what time your classes started and ended? I’m curious if it varies every year