SUNY Downstate - all male team?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwayslight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why's SUNY downstate's PM&R program all male? I'm really interested in the program... I think it has a lot to offer, and the location is ideal for me.... but the roster of current residents is ALL MALE. Out of 20 residents, 2 are female. I promise not to get knocked up in the next few years if that's what they're afraid of lol

Members don't see this ad.

Why's SUNY downstate's PM&R program all male? I'm really interested in the program... I think it has a lot to offer, and the location is ideal for me.... but the roster of current residents is ALL MALE. Out of 20 residents, 2 are female. I promise not to get knocked up in the next few years if that's what they're afraid of lol

Don't worry... the tides turn quickly. When I started at my residency, there were only 4 females out of 20-something residents. By the end, it was closer to 50/50.

I wouldn't worry about it at all

I think about 60% of applicants to PM&R are male- not sure about the number, but it is close to 50-50

When programs rank people, they have no idea which people will actually match with them. I was part of a 10 male-0 female class, and it just happened that is the way the rank list broke- they had some very good female candidates apply as well

For example, let's the programs rank list was:
FFMFFFMFMFFM

Let's say that the program matches with their 3rd, 7th, and 9th candidates to fill their three positions, then they would have an all male class, even though they ranked more females

This kind of random aberration happens all the time. So don't worry about it

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the others who have posted, don't let the current class be your deal-breaker. If you like what they have to offer and they are your top choice, rank them as so and let it be their loss if you don't match. (If they are gender biased for their rank list, which I am not saying they are, then they are already losing out anyway)

Don't forget that you are looking to match at a program you will enjoy, get the education you need and meet the challenges to make it easier when you face them again without someone backing you up. If you match to your first choice or your 10th, hopefully somewhere in that list are programs you are willing to attend even if you are the only female resident. I wouldn't let luck of the draw get in the way of trying for what you want.

The last official statistic that I read was that PM&R was 75% male. It was up there with the various surgical specialties as being very male dominated. Perhaps the numbers have changed in the past 2-3 years, but I doubt it.

But male residents aren't so bad. In fact, I prefer working with other male residents. At least male residents don't get pregnant and then take tons of sick days, plus months off work, screwing their coworkers over with lots of extra call to take. At the end of the day, that's all I really care about. :sleep:

The last official statistic that I read was that PM&R was 75% male. It was up there with the various surgical specialties as being very male dominated. Perhaps the numbers have changed in the past 2-3 years, but I doubt it.

But male residents aren't so bad. In fact, I prefer working with other male residents. At least male residents don't get pregnant and then take tons of sick days, plus months off work, screwing their coworkers over with lots of extra call to take. At the end of the day, that's all I really care about. :sleep:

No, but they get time off when their wives have babies, "screwing their coworkers over with lots of extra call to take."

It was us unmarried folk who got the worst end of it.

I can't say I've seen that happening. I know one guy in our program who was given the option of "Paternity Leave" for a week or so when his wife had a baby, but I don't think he took it. The other day in the hospital, I saw an ENT resident whose wife was having a baby that day, and who was being badgered by his attending to leave work, but who was still sticking around. So if men do take time off work for their wives having children, it's an infrequent occurrence and its at most a day or two, not a month or two.

I tend to agree.

I would say that the male unmarried folks are the ones that get hit really hard. I remember having to do other people's work on more than one occasion.

ehhh i think that's an unfair statement. what about us unmarried women folk?

The gender gap in PM&R appears to be closing. In 1998-99 the M/F ratio in PM&R residencies was 65/35. In 2009-10 the ratio was 58/42.

http://www.physiatry.org/Education_Resident_Demographics.cfm

That said, I will unashamedly admit that I took paternity leave for the birth of my first child during residency. All two days worth.

One guy in my residency took off 6 weeks when his wife had their second baby. Another took the full 12 weeks allotted by law.

Another took off 3 weeks to go find a wife back home in India.

Yup, it rocks being a woman having kids during residency. I can't even express how awesome it was dragging myself to work every day after throwing up in the morning, having to race out to my monthly OB appointments because they managed to give me a last minute late admission every single time, standing on rounds for hours on end until my feet swelled up so much they could barely fit in my shoes, crawling around the floor plugging in wires for the EMG machine then getting home and having my water break, and desperately trying to finish my EMG reports as my husband was physically pulling me away to the hospital. And of course, having to make up all the lost time at the end, resulting in not being able to apply to certain choice fellowships.

I honestly can't decide what part is best, but it's probably when the single male residents who can't even manage to show up on time for clinic and take two hour lunches every day whine about how women get pregnant and they have to cover.

hey all opinions aside... can we comment on how hilarious the cartoon guide is???? I've already linked it to all my friends on FB... I hope that's okay! :laugh:

hey all opinions aside... can we comment on how hilarious the cartoon guide is???? I've already linked it to all my friends on FB... I hope that's okay! :laugh:

Aw, shucks... thanks :)

I actually came on SDN cuz I wanted to make an entry about stupid consults and link to the latest cartoon, but then I read this and got a flashback to some really unpleasant residency experiences and lost my train of thought.

I've actually done the same thing. Great site!

Hi there,

I am one of Downstate's three female residents. I am also one of the Chief Residents and one of the program's biggest fans.

I can see how a female applying to this program would be wary thinking that we are a male dominated crew... But the fact is, we rank women. Lot's of women. I think that because of our location in East Flatbush, a lot of women don't want to come here. And that rehab_sports_dr is right... it's hard to predict how the match will play out.

If you have any questions about the program, being a woman in the program, etc or how it will affect you... please don't hesitate to ask!

One of the female graduates last year had a baby and it was not an issue at all. But again, please feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Thanks and good luck!