SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn hotels??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgator

Community Rad Onc 4 LYFE
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a residency interview coming up at SUNY downstate in brooklyn, NY and was wondering what might be some possible lodging options. The program is clueless about this. The nearby marriott charges an arm and a leg. Should I stay somewhere in manhattan and take the subway in? If so, any ideas as to where I should stay?

any advice is great appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a real BB including the odd elderly proprietor:

Foy House
Park Slope
(718)636-1492

There is another one I have only heard about (in a good way):

Bed and Breakfast on the Park
113 Prospect Park West
Brooklyn, New York 11215
(718) 499-6115
Fax: (718) 499-1385
Email: [email protected]
Host: Liana Paolella

The Mariott is indeed the only hotel in Brooklyn that is not used by the city to house homeless folk.

You might be better off with a hotel in Manhattan, ideally along the subway that goes out to Downstate (used to be 2/5, but that might have changed).

you can call the downstate residence hall, which is right across the street from the hospital, and see if they have a room you could rent for the night - they often do that if there are spare rooms available. otherwise i'd probably try to find an affordable hotel in manhattan that's on the 2 subway line, or just take a car service that morning...

The residence hall is a dump and they charge you an arm and a leg to stay there. You'll be better off at some decent hotel in manhattan.

Generally if you just stroll down to Bed-Stuy you can rent a room for next to nothing. It's a beautiful area of town too. Good luck. :)

Really? There are no decent hotels in Brooklyn? I"m going to Maimonides and NY Methodist at the end of the month and was going to try to book one hotel for both interviews.... any suggestions? (I'll be driving down from CT so I don't know if going into/from Manhatten is a good bet).

Thanks for the help!

PalCareGrl said:
Really? There are no decent hotels in Brooklyn? I"m going to Maimonides and NY Methodist at the end of the month and was going to try to book one hotel for both interviews.... any suggestions? (I'll be driving down from CT so I don't know if going into/from Manhatten is a good bet).

Thanks for the help!
There's the Gregory Hotel in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. The rates seem pretty high, but you asked for a decent place. I don't know what the rates are in the city. Gergory Hotel

PalCareGrl said:

Thanks for the help!

Good luck. Everything is booked. I had to book three consecutive days in three different hotels. :(

If you come from CT, you can just commute in. Rather than putting up with the sketchy hotel situation in Brooklyn, you'll just have to get an early start:

- Bronx-Whitestone or Throgs Neck
- Whitestone Expwy
- Van Wyck Expwy
- Jackie Robinson Pkwy
- Atlantic Ave
- Eastern Pkwy
- New York Ave
- Clarkson

Doesn't work so well for Maimo, that is really on the other end of town.

medgator said:
Hello,

I have a residency interview coming up at SUNY downstate in brooklyn, NY and was wondering what might be some possible lodging options. The program is clueless about this. The nearby marriott charges an arm and a leg. Should I stay somewhere in manhattan and take the subway in? If so, any ideas as to where I should stay?

any advice is great appreciated.

Let us know how the interview went too! GOOD LUCK!!!!