SUNY Downstate Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emj5g

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please Help! I am a NY resident and I want to go to Downstate, am currently in a post-bac program at Drexel. My undergrad GPA was 3.0 at UVa in bioengineering, and I currently have a 4.0 here at Drexel. I am taking the MCAT this spring, expecting a score in the 32-33 range. I have strong extra-curricular and work experience. Do I have a shot? Or should I stay here in Pennsylvania and try for Drexel or Temple as a resident here?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert but i think you would have a good chance at SUNY Downstate. You show great maturity by doing postbac and getting phenomenal grades. With a MCAT of 32 you could probably get an interview which would give you a chance to explain yourself even better. I dont think SUNY Downstate is that picky anyway. Good luck on your MCATs and keep up the good work!

It ultimately depends on your GPA as calculated by AMCAS. 3.0 probably won't be improved too much by your 4.0 post-bacc (depending on the number of credits you took) so you may need a higher MCAT to compensate.

Drexel and Temple will be similarly difficult. You may want to consider applying to some DO schools in case Downstate doesn't pan out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply,
Do you know anything about how AMCAS calculates gpa after a bost-bac program? or do they look at undergrad and post-bac grades separately? I agree about Drexel, my advantage with Temple is 2 older siblings who both graduated from Temple med. I think my only shot at Downstate is applying as a NY resident, and a higher MCAT like you said..I'm just afraid of risking my chances with Temple by applying as a NY resident and then not getting in to either school, but Downstate's really where I want to go!

Thank you for the reply,
Do you know anything about how AMCAS calculates gpa after a bost-bac program? or do they look at undergrad and post-bac grades separately? I agree about Drexel, my advantage with Temple is 2 older siblings who both graduated from Temple med. I think my only shot at Downstate is applying as a NY resident, and a higher MCAT like you said..I'm just afraid of risking my chances with Temple by applying as a NY resident and then not getting in to either school, but Downstate's really where I want to go!

Well first of all, there's no reason not to apply to both. If your numbers are questionable, you will certainly need to apply to a broader range of schools than normal in order to maximize your chances of admission.

AMCAS calculates your GPA in terms of overall GPA, science (or BCPM) GPA, and non-science GPA. They also separate your grades in terms of freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior year and then any grades post-senior year. Your upward trend will definitely help though it depends on what your overall GPA comes out to.

If Downstate is hands-down your number one choice, you may also want to consider applying early decision. Good luck!