SUNY Downstate Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamajew

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an interview at SUNY Downstate yesterday (8/12)! I'm an instate resident, so the interview may have only been for New Yorkers. Any other bites?

Members don't see this ad.

I received a packet from them through snail mail on Monday (8/9)

Members don't see this ad :)
Iamajew said:
I received a packet from them through snail mail on Monday (8/9)

I got the packet too but no interview invite. I am out of state though so I guess it is to be expected.

Iamajew said:
I got an interview at SUNY Downstate yesterday (8/12)! I'm an instate resident, so the interview may have only been for New Yorkers. Any other bites?

Yeah, I got the email yesterday too. Interviewing on 9/8. 2nd interview so far :)

Like cerb, Im an out-of-stater that got the packet a couple days ago also (no interview).. It was a let down because I saw the big packet and thought it was interview materials, when I opened it I was pretty disappointed

premyo2002 said:
Like cerb, Im an out-of-stater that got the packet a couple days ago also (no interview).. It was a let down because I saw the big packet and thought it was interview materials, when I opened it I was pretty disappointed

Same here, that big manilla envelope was so misleading!!!

iamajew, what are your stats, ec's, research etc? If you dont mind

Sure - 3.92 BCPM, 3.98 other, 3.95 total; bio major; 29S on MCAT (7vr, 11ps, 11bs) due to mishap during verbal section explained in app; ivy league; 3+ years research and published, lots of community service, shadowing, piano performance, radio dj'ing.

Iamajew said:
Sure - 3.92 BCPM, 3.98 other, 3.95 total; bio major; 29S on MCAT (7vr, 11ps, 11bs) due to mishap during verbal section explained in app; ivy league; 3+ years research and published, lots of community service, shadowing, piano performance, radio dj'ing.

wow, "iamajew" too! lol. Which ivy did you go to, and by the way those are impressive stats, You sould consider applying MD/PhD.

Can someone elaborate as to what was included in the packet you received recently? I'm an in state applicant and I haven't gotten anything from downstate. My letters just got sent out last monday so maybe that's the reason for the delay???

Yeah, I got the invite as well... 9/8... they probably start their interview cycle right after labor day weekend, so I'm assuming its their first round...

loudawg said:
Can someone elaborate as to what was included in the packet you received recently? I'm an in state applicant and I haven't gotten anything from downstate. My letters just got sent out last monday so maybe that's the reason for the delay???

The packet contained a form letter and a "Information booklet", a cheap version of a viewbook, just some photocopied pages with a breakdown on the curriculum, the joint-degree programs, financial aid info, requirements for admission, deadlines, etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
dave613 said:
wow, "iamajew" too! lol. Which ivy did you go to, and by the way those are impressive stats, You sould consider applying MD/PhD.
I go to Yale, but i'm looking to move back to new york. Yeah - considered MD/PhD, but really want to focus on clinical as opposed to research. I got the interview for 9/21...anybody going then? Has anyone been to downstate? Impressions?

:laugh: not during "my time" of the "month." Okay not sure why I quoted all that stuff.

I hope to join you interview invitees, but not until later on when I can finally get my credentials to all the SUNYs *sniff*

And Cerb, don't worry. You still have a nice chance of being in my city. Did you apply to NYU?

RARRRRRRRRRR I gotta interview. SUNY- DOWNSVILLE, here I COME! I'm taking all your spots. I'm #1.

You know you want to be here :p Come over to the dark side :love:

NubianPrincess said:
:laugh: not during "my time" of the "month." Okay not sure why I quoted all that stuff.

I hope to join you interview invitees, but not until later on when I can finally get my credentials to all the SUNYs *sniff*

And Cerb, don't worry. You still have a nice chance of being in my city. Did you apply to NYU?

I did, I did!

I am still hoping for some downstate love though :scared: :scared:

SHOW ME THA LOVE DOWNSTATE!

argh i just sent in my downstate stuff. i feel so late as is. congrats to everyone who got the interview already...ugh if i have any advice for anyone who is completed 35+ secondaries....dont move in the middle of it...that was such a big mistake...i also couldnt rest until i got everything cleaned up...so my backlog of secondaries is too scary...also if you do move...plan on getting internet access ASAP....it helps alot!

People with Downstate interview, how did they let you know when your file was complete and in review (snail mail, email, or not at all)? Thanks. Good luck at your interviews!