Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate June 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I emailed them too.. And got the same response! 🙁

Who did you guys email? I'm trying to figure out why I can't get a response. I would really appreciate if you could share the email address (private message me if you prefer). I recently moved and I'm convinced they sent my rejection by mail to my old address 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So guys.. I got in to Kean, and they need a decision and a deposit from me by 3/22, which is in 8 days. I really hate the idea of bugging downstate but that is my first choice and I don't know what to do if I don't hear from them by the end of the week...

So I emailed admissions again today explaining this predicament and just confirming that Downstate is my first choice. They wrote back and said
"It is possible to have a decision within the next two weeks."

Sooooooo vague and cryptic!
 
I feel like it could be a good sign that you guys haven't heard anything yet because it could mean they are still considering you. I was waitlisted kind of early when there were still open spots which is discouraging. Hopefully I will get off the waitlist but I feel like the odds of that happening aren't high.
 
So guys.. I got in to Kean, and they need a decision and a deposit from me by 3/22, which is in 8 days. I really hate the idea of bugging downstate but that is my first choice and I don't know what to do if I don't hear from them by the end of the week...

So I emailed admissions again today explaining this predicament and just confirming that Downstate is my first choice. They wrote back and said
"It is possible to have a decision within the next two weeks."

Sooooooo vague and cryptic!

So guys.. I got in to Kean, and they need a decision and a deposit from me by 3/22, which is in 8 days. I really hate the idea of bugging downstate but that is my first choice and I don't know what to do if I don't hear from them by the end of the week...

So I emailed admissions again today explaining this predicament and just confirming that Downstate is my first choice. They wrote back and said
"It is possible to have a decision within the next two weeks."

Sooooooo vague and cryptic!
Cool, That's nice! May I know did you take the Introduction to OT course?
 
I contacted admissions and they roughly said the same thing... that my file is still in review but they'll notify me within a few weeks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are your stats if you don't mind sharing?
Not at all.
3.9 GPA
a few leadership positions in college; currently a supervisor at my job (spoke a little about that)
A little under 250 observation hours in a pre-school, after school program, and a hospital.
Best of luck to all - I hope to see you in June!

goodluck hopefulot234! this is not the end so don't give up! My advice would be to send them your transcripts and health forms asap because the people on this board last year that did that were accepted.
Thank you so much! I sent my transcripts out right when I got the letter and I'm going to go to the doctor tomorrow to get the health forms out.
 
hey all, accepted today, but a few questions that have me nervous:

1. did anyone else get asked for a description of their developmental psych course? what did you send? a short blurb about the course? the syllabus? do they want some kind of documentation?

2. does downstate accept the clep exams if they dont end up liking the description of my course?
 
hey all, accepted today, but a few questions that have me nervous:

1. did anyone else get asked for a description of their developmental psych course? what did you send? a short blurb about the course? the syllabus? do they want some kind of documentation?

2. does downstate accept the clep exams if they dont end up liking the description of my course?

Congrats! Send them a syllabus or the course description from the schools website if you don't have one. They want developmental psych to be birth thru old age and most are birth thru adolescents so they prob just want to make sure. Clep, I am unsure but if you look under prerequisites on the website that might help. Also if you have questions I found it easier to just call admissions than wait for an email response.
 
Hi everyone! I applied back in November well before the deadline and haven't heard back from downstate at all. I got an email in Jan stating they got my application and are reviewing applications, I called to follow up once and they told me basically they interview through March and I have to wait. Is anyone else in the same boat, no interview, no rejection? I'm afraid I won't hear back from them at all or something. I interviewed last year, so I find it really strange that I haven't heard back.
 
Same here! I applied early, and I have not heard a thing, but I also have not been rejected. (I don't really care though because I am going to Stony Brook's program.)
 
Yo
Hi everyone! I applied back in November well before the deadline and haven't heard back from downstate at all. I got an email in Jan stating they got my application and are reviewing applications, I called to follow up once and they told me basically they interview through March and I have to wait. Is anyone else in the same boat, no interview, no rejection? I'm afraid I won't hear back from them at all or something. I interviewed last year, so I find it really strange that I haven't heard back.
youre definitely not alone! Many of us are in the same boat - no word at all. I've given up and sent a check to Kean after calling Downstate and telling them about my acceptance but preference for downstate. They aren't even answering their phone lately! And definitely not returning calls. I have to say I was dissapointed by the way they e handled this whole thing
 
I received an invitation for an interview today and I applied
in October. I will happily decline as I have already committed to a school, but how crazy is that, it's mid-March 🙁
 
I tried calling today because I have not heard from them since my interview last month but no answer :/ I get they have a lot of applicants but they should still be available to give us at least an update
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They are so disorganized! I had my interview over two months ago!!
Yes, unbelievably disorganized! I had not gotten an interview nor a rejection , but they notified me Friday stating my application was incomplete. They stated I did not pay my application fee, which I did & I sent them the email confirming that I did. They then decided to tell me that they never recieved one of my transcripts. It's unbelievable that they decided to tell me this FOUR MONTHS LATER into the process when they should already have decisions out by now. I have not yet gotten in anywhere, but I will be demanding a refund because this is just so unfair & wrong!!!
 
Hi everyone! I applied back in November well before the deadline and haven't heard back from downstate at all. I got an email in Jan stating they got my application and are reviewing applications, I called to follow up once and they told me basically they interview through March and I have to wait. Is anyone else in the same boat, no interview, no rejection? I'm afraid I won't hear back from them at all or something. I interviewed last year, so I find it really strange that I haven't heard back.
Same here no interview, no rejection and its almost the end of march.. I thought at least I deserved an interview, even if I get rejected, but I guess not.. 🙁
 
Same here no interview, no rejection and its almost the end of march.. I thought at least I deserved an interview, even if I get rejected, but I guess not.. 🙁

It's so frustrating. At least we aren't alone. :/ At this point I really feel like I'm not gong to hear back from them at all. Did you hear back from any other program?
 
Last edited:
So guys.. I got in to Kean, and they need a decision and a deposit from me by 3/22, which is in 8 days. I really hate the idea of bugging downstate but that is my first choice and I don't know what to do if I don't hear from them by the end of the week...

So I emailed admissions again today explaining this predicament and just confirming that Downstate is my first choice. They wrote back and said
"It is possible to have a decision within the next two weeks."

Sooooooo vague and cryptic!


Who did you interview with at Kean University and at the end of your interview did you have to do a written essay?
 
Hey
I interviewed with the head of the department and I did not have to do an essay. Good luck!@

Okay thanks! I was a tad nervous because I interviewed with the head as well and did not have to do an essay. I just wanted to check if anyone else did or did not.
 
Has anyone gotten accepted/rejected/waitlisted in the past two weeks?

I haven't heard anything and I'm getting frustrated. I got into my second choice school and they start mid May so if I end up going there I need to start looking for housing and getting my **** together like now. But I really would like to hear back from Downstate before I jump into all that. I just feel like I'm in limbo and it's annoying.
 
I haven't heard anything and I'm getting frustrated. I got into my second choice school and they start mid May so if I end up going there I need to start looking for housing and getting my **** together like now. But I really would like to hear back from Downstate before I jump into all that. I just feel like I'm in limbo and it's annoying.
^this:sour:
 
Same here. I have to give in my deposit mid April and would have to move the Florida by early May. I called downstate (again) and they said they are accepting people and handing out decisions through May and can't give me any other information
 
Got on the alternate list today... going to pass. Hopefully some more of you got some good news today! I'll be starting at Kean in the fall. Good luck on the journey everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad