SUNY Downstate students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending Downstate this year, and just wanted to find out from current MS1 students how rigorous is your schedule and how classes are distributed through out the day and week?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi me2,

I will also be starting at Downstate this year. As for the schedule, well classes are from 9am to 2-3pm (m,t,th,f) and on wed its from 9am-5pm (patient day). Lectures are in the morning and labs (and group meetings) are after lunch. If you really want to see how the schedule is like you can download it form their website. I have heard good things about their block system curriculum. I have friends that currently are students there. Will you be living on campus or off??? I will be staying on campus. I think I might get lucky and get a single studio. Most MS1 students get stuck with a single dormatory room (which sucks!). If you have any further questions :confused: feel free to ask.

mike :)

Thanks a lot for the info. I thought about living in the dorms, but got the impression that most first year students get a single dorm room ( at best). So I'll probably live off-campus, at least for the first year (I live about 30 min away from Downstate, now).
Btw, did you take the CPR course already? If so, how was it?
I really appreciate you responding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi me2,
What does "BTW" stand for??? I am a certified EMT, so I was excused from taking the course. I will be required to do a refresher course next summer, since my license expires 2/03. From what I was told the CPR course they are requiring can be done within a day. You are correct about most MS1 students getting at best a single dorm. The reason I say I might get lucky is because I brought in a "doctor's note". I know of students who started off with a single dorm and in a matter of a few months were allowed to upgraded to a single studio. It all depends on the movement of the waiting list, which tends to move pretty quick. As an MS2 you will definitly have the option for a single studio. Do you live in Queens or in the City? I am about 20 min from Downstate from where I live in queens. Commuting would be a pain!

mike :)

I wouldn't commute. It's a pain in the ass.

In general, there are two morning lectures from 9-11, followed by a one hour break from 11-12. Then in the afternoon there are a variety of activities ranging from CBL to anatomy lab to physiology conferences to histology lab. Wednesdays are the days that ECM is taught-this consists of morning lectures, followed by a small group meeting until 12, then an afternoon with your clinical mentor, which technically lasts from 1-3, but the two of you can work out your exact hours. The block schedule is indeed nice. I think you will like it--one test at a time, no series of midterms or finals!