Suny Downstate-"You will hear something soon?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed in mid-March and heard today that I am on the hold for spring consideration list.


I heard the same thing today. This is the pits. To wait three months and then get a hold. If you start reapplying to medical school in June, you may be wasting money if Downstate wakes up with an offer in July.😕
 
I heard the same thing today. This is the pits. To wait three months and then get a hold. If you start reapplying to medical school in June, you may be wasting money if Downstate wakes up with an offer in July.😕

Only apply to one school initially. You can always add more schools to your list. But if you just apply to one you can at least start the process of getting your AMCAS verified.
 
I heard the same thing today. This is the pits. To wait three months and then get a hold. If you start reapplying to medical school in June, you may be wasting money if Downstate wakes up with an offer in July.😕

Oh man. I interviewed mid-march and still haven't heard back yet. I was pretty much expecting a hold but now that you guys confirmed it...well, its a bit of a blow. It'll be my fourth wait list position...awesome.🙁
 
Don't worry fellas...I'm on the hold list as well, and it's my only waitlist position. I sense there will be some movement on the WL. Let's hope we all get in, lol.
 
I just got this email, (I was put on spring consideration way back in like Jan) any thoughts?:

Dear Mr. ________

Thank you for your patience and continued interest in SUNY Downstate. We know that you have been waiting a long time for a decision from us and we expect to send you a final decision by the end of June (this month).

If you have made other plans or cannot wait until the end of the month for a decision, please send an email to [email protected] to withdraw your application and to benefit other applicants. Again, we appreciate your patience during this lengthy process.


Sincerely,
SUNY Downstate Admissions Office
 
i withdrew back on may 15th, and my withdrawal was only fully processed by about monday this week. this means that spots may take time to open up simple b/c there is a lag between withdrawal and an open seat. good luck to all.
 
I got it too! I hope it's really a final decision and not a waitlist letter. Best of luck!
 
good luck all, hopefully they'll be plenty of movement (i heard there is) so that you'll join me this coming fall.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
good luck all, hopefully they'll be plenty of movement (i heard there is) so that you'll join me this coming fall.

Thanks.
I'd love to get that phone call or email saying I'm accepted.
...so, we'll all know by the end of this month, huh.
Who else is really nervous?
 
Thanks.
I'd love to get that phone call or email saying I'm accepted.
...so, we'll all know by the end of this month, huh.
Who else is really nervous?

its pretty nerve-wracking, im ****ting bricks over here...

...either that or i need more fiber in my diet
 
oh snaps.. SDN sensors the posts.
i feel victimized, somebody call the ACLU.
 
Thanks.
I'd love to get that phone call or email saying I'm accepted.
...so, we'll all know by the end of this month, huh.
Who else is really nervous?

Your MDApps looks really solid/well rounded. Did you apply late?? Seems like you should be getting more love, especially from the NY schools? Best of luck, I'd say you have a good shot of making it off the WL.
 
Your MDApps looks really solid/well rounded. Did you apply late?? Seems like you should be getting more love, especially from the NY schools? Best of luck, I'd say you have a good shot of making it off the WL.

About the lateness of my application...indeed it was late. When I applied, I had no clue that it would be best to send AMCAS in in June. It's only after retaking my MCAT and scoring 1 point higher that I began to work on my application thoroughly. By that time it was August. I submitted my AMCAS August 10th, and it was verified September 5th!!
This is before I surfed the pre-Allo page. If I had done so earlier, I would have seen the craziness over sending the AMCAS out in June, and thus would have done so myself. Probably would have made a difference, too.
 
Is anyone that is on hold for Downstate starting the application process again?
 
Is anyone that is on hold for Downstate starting the application process again?
I am planning to begin the process again soon. I am considering waiting it out through June, but I don't want to apply late again and put myself in the same position. I wonder whether Downstate would look favorably upon a 2009 app at this point??
 
omg guys i'm gonna be sooo upset if I don't get in... especially after getting that small envelope and thinking I was rejected and then feeling relieved that it was just the hold list...and then later actually been rejected. ouchhhhh. 👎

and the wording of the email definitely threw me.... "final decision"....hmmm!! what do you guys think? 😕
 
omg guys i'm gonna be sooo upset if I don't get in... especially after getting that small envelope and thinking I was rejected and then feeling relieved that it was just the hold list...and then later actually been rejected. ouchhhhh. 👎

and the wording of the email definitely threw me.... "final decision"....hmmm!! what do you guys think? 😕

Word.
 
I am planning to begin the process again soon. I am considering waiting it out through June, but I don't want to apply late again and put myself in the same position. I wonder whether Downstate would look favorably upon a 2009 app at this point??

Honestly, I doubt they'd look at any 2009 apps until the class is 100% set (which is never really til the first day of classes). If I were you, I'd get everything ready to send it out at the end of the summer or so, though I suppose it probably couldnt hurt too much to submit in july or so (though thats taking the early application thing to an extreme)
 
Just got the call from Ilana.
I interviewed in January, got placed "on hold" in April, received a letter a few weeks ago saying "we'll let you know if we will decide to put you on the waitlist sometime in June" and then out of the blue - ACCEPTED!

...it could happen to you...
 
I usually only let myself check this page once per day...Now I am going to have some serious sdn-checking problems...

Congratulations, Lobita!
 
please do add me to the waitlist movement thread.

I'm actually at work (the new clinical job I got a month ago when I didn't think I'd get in this year) and they have no knowledge of my med school plans, so I actually shouldn't be on here!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the call from Ilana.
I interviewed in January, got placed "on hold" in April, received a letter a few weeks ago saying "we'll let you know if we will decide to put you on the waitlist sometime in June" and then out of the blue - ACCEPTED!

...it could happen to you...

Congratulations! I hope there is more where that came from.
 
Also...Lobita...
Enlighten us...what were your stats?
And...NY resident or OOS?

And, of course, CONGRATULATIONS!
 
Last edited:
Just got the call from Ilana.
I interviewed in January, got placed "on hold" in April, received a letter a few weeks ago saying "we'll let you know if we will decide to put you on the waitlist sometime in June" and then out of the blue - ACCEPTED!

...it could happen to you...
Congrats! See ya in August.
 
hey you guys...chin up...
i just got a call today from Downstate... I GOT ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST :hardy: i interviewed in early March so Downstate is really moving with the waitlist..

things that might help you guys if you are still on the waitlist:
1. UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE. Ms. Levine said to definitely update your file with any new things because she stressed that they are periodically reviewing your file.. show them that you are doing something still
2. letters of interest are always good..but "dont overflow your file" was the response i got from her
3. its always good to show your face in the office... and let them know your interested. especially if you are going on vacation..make it know that Downstate is important to you and you dont want to miss their phone call but will have other people that will speak on your behalf...

i hope that helps get some of you guys off the waitlist..i hate the wait too... hope to see you guys in august 🙂👍
 
My stats:

12VR 12BS 9PS O

3.91 GPA (3.88 BCPM)

very little clinical experience (I started volunteering and shadowing in Dec 07, so I was able to talk about it for my Jan 08 interview)

lots of research experience

I'm 31 and I have a baby (which was in my personal statement and discussed in the interview.)

I'm not a URM, despite my Spanish moniker.
 
Your stats look good to me. Bravo.
Guess what...I interviewed on Jan 8th, too.
We might have met. The only guy I remember vividly, though, is the dude with the cowboy boots.
 
hey you guys...chin up...
i just got a call today from Downstate... I GOT ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST :hardy: i interviewed in early March so Downstate is really moving with the waitlist..

things that might help you guys if you are still on the waitlist:
1. UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE. Ms. Levine said to definitely update your file with any new things because she stressed that they are periodically reviewing your file.. show them that you are doing something still
2. letters of interest are always good..but "dont overflow your file" was the response i got from her
3. its always good to show your face in the office... and let them know your interested. especially if you are going on vacation..make it know that Downstate is important to you and you dont want to miss their phone call but will have other people that will speak on your behalf...

i hope that helps get some of you guys off the waitlist..i hate the wait too... hope to see you guys in august 🙂👍

Humm, interesting! Since I got into a special master's for people applying to professional school as a back up, should I tell them about that? My thinking is that I want to show them that I will go the extra mile to show my interest in the field + more knowledge of medical science.

Good or bad idea??? I have no idea how to word this info to them as for an update.
 
Humm, interesting! Since I got into a special master's for people applying to professional school as a back up, should I tell them about that? My thinking is that I want to show them that I will go the extra mile to show my interest in the field + more knowledge of medical science.

Good or bad idea??? I have no idea how to word this info to them as for an update.


special masters? like mph or something else? honestly..i dont know if that really counts as an update. it does show your continued interest in the medical field (if its related)... but i would hold off on saying anything about it just yet.
... you can still send a letter of interest (or intent) in though..if you're doing anything additional or new i would put that in too..
 
I actually interviewed Jan 27, '08, sorry for the confusion.
No cowboy boots, but I vividly remember the woman in legwarmers.
 
Oh god guys I'm so nervous now!! :scared:

So if they're accepting people off the hold list they must have SOME sort of ranking system right? I mean they can't just be pulling it out of a hat.

Do you think there's any way that they'll tell me how good/bad it looks for me if I call them? My position etc?
 
handwriting-

Probably SUNY... I love NY too much, and it's cheaper. But I got into Georgetown this week, so unless I get some loving soon from SUNY, looks like DC will be my home. Georgetown is a great school too.

Yay WL movement!!

And the WL movement thread is a sticky at the top of the allopathic forum thread.

Goodluck everyone!
 
Oh god guys I'm so nervous now!! :scared:

So if they're accepting people off the hold list they must have SOME sort of ranking system right? I mean they can't just be pulling it out of a hat.

Do you think there's any way that they'll tell me how good/bad it looks for me if I call them? My position etc?

i asked them already..they dont have a ranked list
they said that they periodically review the waitlist and if you havent sent in a letter of interest yet..you really should
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Besides Lobita and Justadreamer, did anyone hear anything from Downstate yet? This thread is pretty quiet.
 
I had a chance to speak to the admissions office and they told me that we will all know our fates by mid July...
 
So heard one of the applicants got a phone call for the acceptance but when I called and asked the admissions office about this they said that they only mail out decisions. I emailed them and asked if it were possible to fax, call on the phone, or overnight the decision when it is reached so I can make housing plans accordingly and all I got was a repeat email saying a decision will be mailed by the end of June. Does anyone else feel a little disprespected by the way Downstate's admission office treats its applicants?
 
I had a chance to speak to the admissions office and they told me that we will all know our fates by mid July...


mid JULY?? no way man they said end of june, I better hear...grrrrrrrr.


and they DO call people when they're accepted off the hold/wait list even last year's thread said so...they just might not want to tell us that. =P
 
Just a heads up to everyone - it looks like they're making some progress at least....

I'm on the hold list, and I got a call this afternoon from someone in the admissions office asking if I was still interested in SUNY Downstate (since they had seen that I already have another acceptance), saying that they like to know if the applicants are still interested in them before sending out emails and packets and stuff.... When I asked if this meant anything, acceptance-wise, she kind of backed off saying it could go either way and that they're doing their final reviews.

I'm not really totally sure what it meant, but I'm taking it as a good sign 🙂 And, at least there's something going on with the hold list....