Suny Downstate-"You will hear something soon?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a heads up to everyone - it looks like they're making some progress at least....

I'm on the hold list, and I got a call this afternoon from someone in the admissions office asking if I was still interested in SUNY Downstate (since they had seen that I already have another acceptance), saying that they like to know if the applicants are still interested in them before sending out emails and packets and stuff.... When I asked if this meant anything, acceptance-wise, she kind of backed off saying it could go either way and that they're doing their final reviews.

I'm not really totally sure what it meant, but I'm taking it as a good sign 🙂 And, at least there's something going on with the hold list....

How did the admissions office see that you had another acceptance? Perhaps there is a computer db showing who is accepted at each medical school.
 
ok does anyone know if there's any possibility of the "final decision" they promised to be moving us to the alternate list? It sounds like they're just accepting people off the hold list this year... and if I have to go anywhere else or do anything else next year I have to make arrangements so the alternate list would be soo bad. aggghhh. can someone try to ask if the alternate list is an option?
 
ok does anyone know if there's any possibility of the "final decision" they promised to be moving us to the alternate list? It sounds like they're just accepting people off the hold list this year... and if I have to go anywhere else or do anything else next year I have to make arrangements so the alternate list would be soo bad. aggghhh. can someone try to ask if the alternate list is an option?

why dont you ask?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nygirl - the 'final decision' will most likely be being placed on the alternate list. if you read the threads from last year that's what happened to the majority of the students.

rightfooted - past a certain date (i think either 5/15 or 6/15) medical schools have access to if/where you are accepted to prevent students from holding multiple acceptances
 
AMCAS has a central database with every school's current roster on it. I'm pretty sure all the schools have access to it, and can see if you've been accepted anywhere.
 
Nothing...

Im guessing youre already on the alternates list.

Gist of email:
Our entering class is full, but our Admissions Committee has selected you to be placed on our ALTERNATE LIST of applicants who may be accepted should a vacancy occur in the class
 
nygirl - the 'final decision' will most likely be being placed on the alternate list. if you read the threads from last year that's what happened to the majority of the students.

rightfooted - past a certain date (i think either 5/15 or 6/15) medical schools have access to if/where you are accepted to prevent students from holding multiple acceptances


NJGNY, the final decision is the alternate list, like you said for the majority of students. How many of these alternates last year got off the list and were accepted probably right before classes started?
 
I have also withdrawn. Good luck you guys.
I don't like the school to begin with and even if I did, I would think twice before taking the CPR course 'cuz I wouldn't want to waste time and money and don't get off the wait list. I've already completed the American Red Cross CPR training but looks like they require a specific course from American Heart Association instead.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My first instinct is to say neither because they will never tell you anything over the phone. But since you never received that email, perhaps it's good news. Good luck.
 
Just a heads up to everyone - it looks like they're making some progress at least....

I'm on the hold list, and I got a call this afternoon from someone in the admissions office asking if I was still interested in SUNY Downstate (since they had seen that I already have another acceptance), saying that they like to know if the applicants are still interested in them before sending out emails and packets and stuff.... When I asked if this meant anything, acceptance-wise, she kind of backed off saying it could go either way and that they're doing their final reviews.

I'm not really totally sure what it meant, but I'm taking it as a good sign 🙂 And, at least there's something going on with the hold list....

Out of curiosity, did you get the email for the alternate list, or did you get an actual acceptance letter?
 
What is everyone's plans for the summer and year if they don't get into Downstate or anyone else?
 
NJGNY, the final decision is the alternate list, like you said for the majority of students. How many of these alternates last year got off the list and were accepted probably right before classes started?

i THINK about 1/3 of them but that changes from year to year. last year it looks like a bunch of people got accepted in early july and then a few more mid-july...keep you fingers crossed to hear something soon!
 
For those of you still waiting on Downstate...How would you like to make one of those lists (like the one from last year's DS alternate thread)?
I'll be the first to contribute:

Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
 
For those of you still waiting on Downstate...How would you like to make one of those lists (like the one from last year's DS alternate thread)?
I'll be the first to contribute:

Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
 
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
 
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
drharps: Int: 10/02 Hold: 11/16? Alt: 6/27
 
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
drharps: Int: 10/02 Hold: 11/16? Alt: 6/27

I'm seeing a trend here, people. Everyone is a 6/27 alternate but me.
Does that mean I'm a second tier alternate? lol.
Maybe all the 6/27ers represent letters A-K and the 7/3ers represent L-Z.
I'll just imagine that that's what it is...😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm seeing a trend here, people. Everyone is a 6/27 alternate but me.
Does that mean I'm a second tier alternate? lol.
Maybe all the 6/27ers represent letters A-K and the 7/3ers represent L-Z.
I'll just imagine that that's what it is...😳

haha maybe it was an in-state vs. OOS delay? my friend is a 6/27er thats L-Z.
 
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
drharps: Int: 10/02 Hold: 11/16? Alt: 6/27
a868373: Int 2/20 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
 
I'll be attending University of Rochester, when it came down to it, the decision was easy for me. While I'll be missing out on NYC, everything else about UR is amazing
 
Why haven't I gotten the "alternate list" email??? It looks like everyone got an email except me...When I called up and asked if they could call/fax/email their decision they told me "no" and that I would have to wait for snail mail...I live in F***ing Arizona! Its gonna take forever for the letter to arrive. Is everyone in-state who got the alternate list email?
 
Why haven't I gotten the "alternate list" email??? It looks like everyone got an email except me...When I called up and asked if they could call/fax/email their decision they told me "no" and that I would have to wait for snail mail...I live in F***ing Arizona! Its gonna take forever for the letter to arrive. Is everyone in-state who got the alternate list email?

no its a mix of IS and OOS. Didn't you get the VCU acceptance already?
 
nice. not getting on the alternates list doesn't seem so bad when you have an acceptance in your pocket.

it must be nice having a foreseeable future...

I was in living hell untill it finally came, but now, I gotta say, its a load off my shoulders. I wish everyone in here good luck.
 
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
drharps: Int: 10/02 Hold: 11/16? Alt: 6/27
a868373: Int 2/20 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
squirrelking: Interview 10/27 Hold: 2/20 Alt: 6/27
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
drharps: Int: 10/02 Hold: 11/16? Alt: 6/27
a868373: Int: 2/20 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
squirrelking: Int: 10/27 Hold: 2/20 Alt: 6/27
OZman: Int: ? Hold: ? Alt: ? <--you can fill this in yourself
 
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
drharps: Int: 10/02 Hold: 11/16? Alt: 6/27
a868373: Int: 2/20 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
squirrelking: Int: 10/27 Hold: 2/20 Alt: 6/27
OZman: Int: 12/13 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
 
is there anybody out there who was on the alternates list before june and didnt receive an acceptance? the list all seems to be >=06/27/08 people
 
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
drharps: Int: 10/02 Hold: 11/16? Alt: 6/27
a868373: Int: 2/20 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
squirrelking: Int: 10/27 Hold: 2/20 Alt: 6/27
OZman: Int: 12/13 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
NJGNY: Int: 3/5 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/30
 
Handwriting: Int: 1/8 Hold: 3/17 Alt: 7/3
rightfooted: Int: 3/10 Hold: 5/27 Alt: 6/27
ClenKeane: Int: 11/20 Hold: 2/4 Alt: 6/27
drharps: Int: 10/02 Hold: 11/16? Alt: 6/27
a868373: Int: 2/20 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
squirrelking: Int: 10/27 Hold: 2/20 Alt: 6/27
OZman: Int: 12/13 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/27
NJGNY: Int: 3/5 Hold: 5/19 Alt: 6/30
the champ: Int: 1/08 Hold 5/19 Alt: 6/27