SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wadigga33

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi..I have applied to many rehab programs and got some invites..got one from downstate and Nassau Med Ctr..anyone have any information on these 2 programs..I have searched this forum, googled and asked around but cant find any first hand information about the programs. I had heard Downstate was on probation and lost its accredtation so I called them this past Thursday and they told me this, "We are not on probation and we have our accreditation up till 2010." But I dont know anything else..Anyone have any info that they can share, I would really appreciate it..you can either PM or just post here..Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

check out www.acgme.org which lists programs and the length of their accreditation.

PROGRAM INFORMATIONSUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn Program [3403521048]
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
450 - Clarkson Avenue Box 30
Brooklyn, New York 11203

http://downstate.edu

Sponsoring Institution: SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn
Specialty: Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation DIRECTOR INFORMATIONCOORDINATOR INFORMATIONPaul A. Pipia, MD, MS
Program Director, Division Chief, Assistant Professor, PM&R
Director First Appointed: September 9, 2004
Phone: (718) 270-2047
Fax: (718) 270-8199
Email:
Catherine V. Samuelian, MS, BS
Administrator

Phone: (718) 270-2047
Email: [email protected]
ACCREDITATION AND GENERAL INFORMATIONOriginal Accreditation Date: February 19, 1963
Accreditation Status: Continued Accreditation
Accreditation Effective Date: August 24, 2007
Accredited Program Length: 3 years

Program Format: Standard

Last Site Visit Date: July 11, 2007
Cycle Length: 3 years
Approximate Date of Next Site Visit: August 1, 2010

Program Requires Prior or Additional GME Training: YES
Number of Prior or Additional Years Required: 1
Program Requires Dedicated Research Year: NO
Government Affiliation: No Military or Government Affiliation
ACGME APPROVED POSITIONSACGME FILLED POSITIONS (CATEGORICAL AND PRELIMINARY POSITIONS ONLY)Year 1 Positions: 7
Year 2 Positions: 7
Year 3 Positions: 7
Total ACGME Approved Positions: 21 Year 1 Filled Positions: 6
Year 2 Filled Positions: 6
Year 3 Filled Positions: 6
Total Number of Filled Positions: 18 PARTICIPATING INSTITUTIONS AND ROTATIONSStaten Island University Hospital - Major Participating Institution
Year 1 Months of Rotation: 4
Year 2 Months of Rotation: 4
Year 3 Months of Rotation:

St John's Episcopal Hospital-South Shore - Major Participating Institution
Year 1 Months of Rotation:
Year 2 Months of Rotation: 2
Year 3 Months of Rotation: 6

University Hospital-SUNY Health Science Center at Brooklyn - Major Participating Institution
Year 1 Months of Rotation: 2
Year 3 Months of Rotation: 4

Kings County Hospital Center - Major Participating Institution
Year 1 Months of Rotation: 6
Year 3 Months of Rotation: 2

Long Island College Hospital - Other Participating Institution
Year 1 Months of Rotation:
Year 3 Months of Rotation:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi..Thanks for the replies..I have visited those sites..Does anyone have any first hand experience at these institutions? How is the teaching, how are the attendings, etc. Some of the websites(scutwork) are outdated or have really short descriptions. Thanks again.

Hi..Thanks for the replies..I have visited those sites..Does anyone have any first hand experience at these institutions? How is the teaching, how are the attendings, etc. Some of the websites(scutwork) are outdated or have really short descriptions. Thanks again.

check out the roster sticky- drvlad2004 is a resident at Nassau

I did a rotation at Nassau. I loved it. Everyone was very nice. Hours were awesome. Good EMG experience. Mostly outpatient experience. You are treating the under served of Long Island, which is a different feel than the rest of Long Island. Great fellowship placements for those who applied. The PD/chair is phenomenal and is always publishing and a great teacher/mentor. If I weren't doing Radiology, Nassau would be the only PM&R program I'd apply to. Lots of varied experience... OMM with a master (Dr. Dowling), acupuncture, pain, amputee, peds, SCI (I think at St. Charles). You can also get subsidized housing on campus and the location is actually a great one. Lots of shopping and restaurants within walking distance and a short drive.

check out the roster sticky- drvlad2004 is a resident at Nassau
I knew that somebody would mention my name :) I am the current co-chief resident at Nassau University Medical Center. Like Fred mentioned before, our hospital treats the underserved of Long Island, which makes it totally different than any other LI hospital that you will visit. It is much more of a city hospital. My experience has been excellent. My attendings are all personable. Each one of them are easy to talk to. I got great advice about what to look for in spine and sports/spine fellowships. All 4 of us senior residents have already received fellowship offers with pain fellowships. NUMC's niche is in outpatient MSK, OMM and EMG, which is unlike most other programs. Since we do a lot of hands on stuff, you will definitely feel very comfortable going into private practice (with the exception of spinal injections and SCI). Admittedly, we are weaker in peds, TBI and SCI, which we go to St. Charles (TBI and SCI). However, if you are not into the inpatient rehab then this program might be perfect for you :).

I grew up in Long Island. The location of East Meadow is great since you are close to many places. Hockey fans can see the Islander down the road. If not, NYC is about 45 min (on a very good day!). We have a very cohesive department. You will see that the resident are very happy. Of course, Dr. Weiss is outstanding and very supportive of our residents. With Dr. Weiss, we are in the works of publishing another on conjunction with residents of the other LI programs. Many of us have had several posters and abstracts at the conferences (I had 6 at the AAPMR conference in Boston).

Altogether, NUMC is small and solid program. We may not be like Kessler or JFK but we sure do not lag behind the other NY programs. Many alumni/former faculty have gone on to be program directors or chairmans at other programs such as Dr. Mark Thomas (Montefiore), Dr. Avital Fast (Montefiore), Dr. Paul Pipia (SUNY Downstate), Dr. Nancy Strauss (NY Presbyterian), And Dr. Rebecca Fishman (Long Beach Medical Center).

I hope that this helps

I knew that somebody would mention my name :) I am the current co-chief resident at Nassau University Medical Center. Like Fred mentioned before, our hospital treats the underserved of Long Island, which makes it totally different than any other LI hospital that you will visit. It is much more of a city hospital. My experience has been excellent. My attendings are all personable. Each one of them are easy to talk to. I got great advice about what to look for in spine and sports/spine fellowships. All 4 of us senior residents have already received fellowship offers with pain fellowships. NUMC's niche is in outpatient MSK, OMM and EMG, which is unlike most other programs. Since we do a lot of hands on stuff, you will definitely feel very comfortable going into private practice (with the exception of spinal injections and SCI). Admittedly, we are weaker in peds, TBI and SCI, which we go to St. Charles (TBI and SCI). However, if you are not into the inpatient rehab then this program might be perfect for you :).

I grew up in Long Island. The location of East Meadow is great since you are close to many places. Hockey fans can see the Islander down the road. If not, NYC is about 45 min (on a very good day!). We have a very cohesive department. You will see that the resident are very happy. Of course, Dr. Weiss is outstanding and very supportive of our residents. With Dr. Weiss, we are in the works of publishing another on conjunction with residents of the other LI programs. Many of us have had several posters and abstracts at the conferences (I had 6 at the AAPMR conference in Boston).

Altogether, NUMC is small and solid program. We may not be like Kessler or JFK but we sure do not lag behind the other NY programs. Many alumni/former faculty have gone on to be program directors or chairmans at other programs such as Dr. Mark Thomas (Montefiore), Dr. Avital Fast (Montefiore), Dr. Paul Pipia (SUNY Downstate), Dr. Nancy Strauss (NY Presbyterian), And Dr. Rebecca Fishman (Long Beach Medical Center).

I hope that this helps
There is a PM&R residency in Long Beach? FP residents rotate there, but I am not aware of a residency, and I grew up in Lido Beach (the next town to the East).

There is a PM&R residency in Long Beach? FP residents rotate there, but I am not aware of a residency, and I grew up in Lido Beach (the next town to the East).
Yeah, you would have never known since it just started 2 years ago. It is a DO program. Long Beach/Lido Beach is so much fun in the summertime.

Thank you for your responses about the LI programs, drvlad. I'm glad that you have positive things to say about the progs since I grew up on the Strong Isle too, and I wouldn't mind going back for residency. It would also be nice to have nearby beaches again, NY pizza and caribbean food at my fingertips, and to make sure my parents dont kill each other :laugh:

1. So happy that DownState is off probation...
2. What are the hours like?? scut work?
3. What fellowships were attained??
4. Where do the residents live??

- I would really appreciate the info..

Thank you for your responses about the LI programs, drvlad. I'm glad that you have positive things to say about the progs since I grew up on the Strong Isle too, and I wouldn't mind going back for residency. It would also be nice to have nearby beaches again, NY pizza and caribbean food at my fingertips, and to make sure my parents dont kill each other :laugh:
It's good to hear that you like Carribean. Of course, I eat that almost everyday of my life :)

Drvlad2004, Thank you very much for your informative input, that was exactly what I was looking for.