SUNY for OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nellia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've checked msar and the websites but i was just wondering what the general consensus is about suny upstate or downstate for out of staters? they seem pretty friendly towards them.

Members don't see this ad.

i've checked msar and the websites but i was just wondering what the general consensus is about suny upstate or downstate for out of staters? they seem pretty friendly towards them.

They seem to be pretty friendly for OOS.

They are some of the most friendly publics for OOS, the SUNYs. I am from Michigan, and will be attending Buffalo (I know it's not the specific one you were asking about, but thought it might be relevant to you anyways). I interviewed on their last interview day, April 30, and have since been accepted, and with a pretty nice scholarship too! If you have a legitimate interest in the school, and can show them that, I think you have as good a chance as anyone else, NY resident or not. Plus, in NY, you are considered a resident after one year if you do some pretty simple things (get a NY driver's license, register your car to NY if it's in your name) and then you get some crazy cheap tuition as well as being eligible for some very nice NY programs for loans (cheaper and better than what's available to a lot of kids). Definitely check them out, and if you like what you see, put some effort out for it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks so much, i appreciate the detailed response. i will definitely have to check out buffalo !

I am from Missouri and was accepted to SUNY-upstate. They seemed to be really open to it, and accepted at least one OOS! They asked me during my interview why I was applying, but I think that was just out of curiosity!