suny opt application quest. pease help

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeWitness

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"When did you definitely decide on a career in optometry? Indicate the
major factors that led you to that decision. Limit your answer to 500
words."

It says this on the SUNY application, but shouldn't all this information be in my personal statement, it is for me, but now i don't know I should remove everything about optometry from my personal statement and add it here, Im confused why suny would break it up. my experience with optometry and why I chose it are in my personal statement, do i now move it to this 500 word part of the application? do i just repeat it? im sooo confused, why is it like this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand your question. Are you submitting a personal statement and a response to the essay?

yes, they're separarate, one gives u space on the essay (the quote) then u submit ur own copy of ur personal statement

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a third year at SUNY and I dont remember writing a second essay...i went online and did not see another essay topic besides the personal essay...granted, our website may not be the most updated...anyway, you should definitely give the admissions office a call if you have any questions about the application process...GOOD LUCK!!

I'm a third year at SUNY and I dont remember writing a second essay...i went online and did not see another essay topic besides the personal essay...granted, our website may not be the most updated...anyway, you should definitely give the admissions office a call if you have any questions about the application process...GOOD LUCK!!

When you go to application on the sunyopt.edu website you have the choice of Download and Print an OD Program Application or Apply Online for OD Program

When you pick Apply Online for OD Program

It says

When did you definitely decide on a career in optometry? Indicate the major factors that led you to that decision. Limit your answer to 500 words.

[Does not mention anything further about a personal statement. but i would really like them to know my personal backround...]

When you pick Download and Print an OD Program Application it says

What has been your exposure to optometry, please explain. Then at the bottom of that section (a little less than half a page they give you to write) it says…

“Please include a separate personal statement (not exceeding 2 pages in length) describing your reasons for choosing optometry. Comment on how your abilities and previous experiences have prepared you to pursue this health-care profession.

I'm really confused!!! I have a personal statement that includes background information about me including my experience with optometry, but now I feel like some students just write about why they chose optometry and not add anything personal that would help adcoms see more of you as an applicant and where you're coming from, when you download your own application there is no room to write anything really so i feel i need to use the online app, but i want to include my personal statement but it doesnt say to

Also, i mean in general when you pick Download and Print an OD Program Application there are a bunch of other differences, has anyone ever compared them. especially with the Download and Print an OD Program Application there is a self reported pre req grade section to be filled out, but when you do the Apply Online for OD Program when you finish and go to print it out (do you not submit it online or do you just have the option to print it out if u want to mail it instead? ) it doesn't have that section to be filled out but it says it at the end of screen when you hit print application.

??????????

As you know, I too applied to SUNY this year (5 days ago). I selected to do the online application which says nothing about the personal statement. The essay however was there. I did briefly look at the "Download an Application" option but figured it would just be faster to do everything online.
If applying online you do still have to input your grades (an "unofficial transcript" as they call it), but you do not have to attach a personal statement.

If I were you, I would do it online. I too had a personal statement written that was 2 pages long with all the goodies in it, but after some cutting and condensing, I was still able to have all that stuff in it but within 500 words.

When I applied, I did the personal essay option...but YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GIVE THE STUDENT AFFAIRS OFFICE A CALL to make sure...and try not to stress =)